Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eye-fi / droid wi-fi question

So I know some of us pentax users are having issues with the Eye-fi however. Once it gets corrected i was pondering. The new 2.2 (froyo) Android operating system is supposed to have the ability to create wi-fi hotspots. So in theory I could be shooting with the eye-fi card and upload images anywhere I have a 3g signal? And have them upload directly to my Zenfolio account. Or (in theory to my home pc on the HD) HOW FLIPPIN COOL Would THAT BE.

06-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Sure, there's no reason that wouldn't work. You've got the problem of trying to squeeze very large files through a 3G upload pipe, so it won't be a wholly satisfying experience if you want to do a lot of pictures. Plus, you run the risk of high data usage that may attract the attention of your mobile carrier, even on a supposedly "unlimited" plan.

But, for the record, I did exactly what you describe on my recent vacation. I used an Eye-fi Pro x2 and uploaded some files on-the-go using my iPhone. I have an app called MyWi for my (jailbroken) iPhone that creates a mobile hotspot. With that combo, I was able to sent jpgs to a web album as I developed them in-camera. That way, I could shoot RAW but not have the card trying to sent every single shot back to my home computer. Instead, I could selectively develop the shots I wanted to share, and when the JPG appeared on the card, the eye-fi card zipped it off to Picasaweb.

Worked like a charm...