Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
You'll see, but not "day&night" like. Both 10 and 14Mp are far from being enough to reproduce fine details like distant grass, foliage etc. Even 24Mps are often not enough to feed A2 landscape print

06-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I switched from K-10 to K-7 at the first day in the market.
And what will i say?Take the K-7,the exposure metering is a dream,now i love it to make wintephotos,no confuse exposure anymore.
With good glass you will have a great resolution.
But in yousing with jpeg you have to pimp up the picturestandards.
Without itīs to soft and low contrast for me.
But now i love the landscape quality over all.
About the af and all the other things you donīt wanna read anything..

Best regards,Andy
06-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That's a tough one. The K10 still has the best ISO 100 I've ever seen. The sharpes files I've ever seen, have come out of my K10. I have a K10, K20, K-7 and K-x, and I still find uses for them all. They all have their own strengths. I still end up bringing my K-7 on hike and such, just because it is that much more rugged, small and light, but I'm starting to want to take out my K10 more often for landscape shooting.

I think you would be very happy with a new K-7, as an addition to your K10, not a replacement. Or better yet, what kind of glass do you have? Maybe you money could be best spent with a lens upgrade or two?
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used a K10D for 3.5 years and got some wonderful photos with it, but my K-7 is in a different league. Gone (almost) are the frustrations of slow, inaccurate focusing and wildly erratic metering. I find it such a pleasure to check the histogram and see evidence of proper exposure time after time. I love how quick and quiet the K-7 is to operate. In terms of landscape shooting, the additional 4.6MPs, while not earthshaking, do make a difference at large print sizes. I have sold my K10D and do not miss it in the least.

As mentioned above, you can wait for the K-8, but prices for the K-7 are now ridiculously low. I see little reason not to upgrade. It's even possible that your wife will treat you to a K-8 or K-9 someday, if you're really nice.

Rob

06-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

K-8 and K-9???Why go lower....
06-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
K-8 and K-9???Why go lower....
In fact you're right next APS-c cameras shoul be K-5 or K3, my wild guess is FF camera will be K-1D.
06-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

hmmm...you know to much.....under arrest with you

06-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I went from the K10D to K-7, mainly for the street photography advantages - responsiveness, small size, quiet shutter. Bonuses were the slightly higher MP, high ISO capabilities, improved viewfinder and metering, and lens focus correction, frame rate...

Personally, I don't find the K-7 to be a huge advance for landscape stuff over the K10D, which is a good all round camera. K-7 seems to me to be a good advance for street stuff.

With these DSLR's, I don't see any reason why shots shouldn't be correctly exposed, as you have good metering, with histograms and digital previews. For most landscape, AF speed and high ISO don't matter much. The better viewfinder might take your fancy. But as someone said earlier, if you're looking for an improvement in IQ, it might be worth spending the money on glass instead, depending on what you have now. That or go to larger frame cameras.
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #24

I think a lot of people on this site must have defective K10s.
I shoot a lot of rock bands and a bit of drag racing, I have never had any problem with the K10 auto focus, the K7 focuses just as fast, but no faster. As for metering they are both the same, they under expose,( this is a good thing ).The K7 has a lot more noise at low ISOs, its visible even at ISO 200.
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Here are my 2 euro cents:

focus point selection is much more easy, even after the K-7 firmware upgrade.
Bert: What happened to that focus point selection?

Syb
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson Quote
I think a lot of people on this site must have defective K10s.
I shoot a lot of rock bands and a bit of drag racing, I have never had any problem with the K10 auto focus, the K7 focuses just as fast, but no faster.
That certainly hasn't been my experience. A lot depends on the lens, but with the same lenses I have found the K-7 faster, and more consistently accurate. This is the same with many others going from K10D or K20D to K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson:
As for metering they are both the same, they under expose,( this is a good thing ).
Again I have to disagree here, I've found the K-7 with it's significantly different 77-segment metering system to be a better system (before any user adjustments). By better I mean closer to a correct exposure without user adjustments.

Not to say that the K10D is not a very good camera, it is, but AF and metering are improved with K-7.
06-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Bert: What happened to that focus point selection?

Syb
You now have an option (with >1.0 firmware) to not first select the Ok button before selecting a focus point. However, accidently pressing the Ok button (happens to me sometimes) changes the function of the arrow buttons.
No problems on the K10D whatsoever.

- Bert