Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

just curious

If you had a K200d and you were thinking about a possible upgrade to which camera would you think of moving to and why that camera over the K200? Before you ask I am mostly a casual shooter that doesnt need high FPS but other than that there are no real constraints to what my camera has to do.

06-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In that case, *why* are you considering upgrading? That would seem the most important question to address first, as your answer will determine the best course of action.

If it were *me*, I'd consider an upgrade for a larger viewfinder, for easier access to setting ISO, for smaller size/ lighter weight, for a non-"crippled" mount for use with fully manual lenses, or for even better high ISO capabilities. But since there is no model that provides all that, and the models that help in one or two of those areas really only advance a pretty small step and are at least as large a step backwards in most of the others (or in some other area, like weather sealing), there's no point in wasting my money on an "upgrade" (mostly a side-grade, really) to my camera. Any money I spend on my gear is going to be *far* more effectively spent on lenses. I do fully expect some day a model in the K-7 line that, although I guess I have to resign myself to an increase in weight, will be enough of an improvement in other ways to be worth buying. But for now, I'm not so sure the K200D isn't already the best mdoel out there for me.

If your list of priorities looks different than mine, though, then there might indeed by a model that fits it well.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-09-2010 at 09:47 PM.
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

K7 hands down - 750 USD on pentaxforums marketplace is a steal
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been thinking of switching to one of the camera bodies that have a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror since i have heard that they have a brighter viewfinder and may make manual focus lens easier to use.

06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K200D and installed the Katz Eye focusing screen - made quite a bit of difference. Or, you can go with one of the Chinese screens - I've had good luck with 2 different ones.

The screen is supposedly not replaceable, but it is!!
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I have been thinking of switching to one of the camera bodies that have a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror since i have heard that they have a brighter viewfinder and may make manual focus lens easier to use.
Marc is actually right since he has been using the K200D.
If you want the pentaprism instead, then a good deal and upgrade would be the K20D since it would still retain the weathersealing, give you the pentaprism, it would also give you AF adjustments for the lenses you have and the K20D is now a lot cheaper when it was first introduced and probably the same price now as when your K200D was brand new.
Going for the K-7 wouldn't be too much of an upgrade lest you want the HD video and faster FPS and AF speed.
06-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't find the difference in viewfinders to be very large - certainly not worth spending $1000 on. I say this as someone who came to the K200D from the *istDS which had the pentaprism, and I had both for a while and was able to compare side by side. But spending $50 for an O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier *was* worth it. It makes my K200d viewfinder as *large* as the pentaprism viewfinders. With reasonably fast lenses, I don't really notice a difference in brightness. It's mostly the kit lens (which I rarely focus manually) where I was able to see a noticeable difference. Others, however, seem to see a bigger difference than I do.

06-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
rkt

FWIW ... I recently sold my (beloved) K200D and have been eyeing the K7 eagerly ... for low light I might have thought of the Kx, but I value weather sealing ... and the focus point indicators ... the only thought is if a wait for the K7 upgrade with Kx type sensor is worth it ... but a few more price drops and it might just be the K7 ...
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

Well, I had a K200d and recently upgraded to a K-7.. I upgraded simply because I got tired of hitting the function button to change ISO. The K-7 definitely gives me more user control with two dials.. other than that, the K-7 was definitely worth the upgrade.