Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K10/20D owners question

I just responded to a post about a SD card reader problem with a K10D. Long ago DPR member PeterZheng showed a weakness in how the card reader in the K10D is attached. I believe him without doubt because users did report SD problems after an impact. I own a K20D and believe there is no difference. I even have the service manuals that showed me no difference that is up to a short time ago. How I missed this I don't know...

It took me over one year to notice the difference in how the SD card reader is just a tad different in the K20D versus K10D. Pics are below. But to my eyes they cut the corner of the card reader so if it moves in certain directions it will hit the metal chassis. But this does not stop it from moving in other directions. I noted the manual tells the tech to apply 3 pieces of some type of tape on the SD card reader and reader to frame, this was not shown with the K10D. I can find no info or pics or anything about that tape (but one) and what and why. I can find only one part number with the the ## manual the big piece of tape called U13, you can see it in the pic, its listed in both manuals as a 4X4 PET sheet. What is a PET sheet. This would not stop flex anyways, only the cut corner may??? So...

I did a K20D survey on the DPR forum and noted that people who did drop the K20D had no problems. This is what really motivated me to look again and see if there were any changes in how the K20D mounts the SD card reader; because 3 weeks or so ago I thought they were identical . They are so close that causal looking had me miss those key difference. But do they do anything???

The simple question. Has anyone experienced SD card reader failure with a K20D after a drop/impact. Not a super hard impact but a decent impact and then had card reader problems? Or if PeterZheng reads this he may know. Thanks in advanced if you do respond or if anyone wants to add to this, as I don't know anything for sure...

K10D SD card reader design

>
>
>
>.................................................................................................
K20D SD card reader design note the cut left corner that will hit the frame and the 3 pieces of tape the tech now applies?
>
>
>

06-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dropped my K10 from a height of about 1.5m when hiking a mountain. No card reader failure

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #3

Adam, can you try that again at succesively higher limits and tell us when we need to begin to be concerned?
06-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K10D in camera fell out of the car (approx 50cm); no bad effects.

PET; just plastic

06-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
My K20D's (I guess also in the past my K10D's) were and are subject to daily knocks and bumps through just being working tools.

I'm pleased to say that to date, all have worked without any misdemeanours.
06-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Cameras working after an impact have always had a luck of the draw aspect to it. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they break later for no apparent reason.
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Cameras working after an impact have always had a luck of the draw aspect to it. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they break later for no apparent reason.
Thanks all... I should have made the post a bit more clear to say the least. One big mistake was including K10D owners. I only wanted K20D owners to read the post as I was only wondering if any have experienced SD card reader failure after a drop as a very few have with the K10D.

But ultimately I believe this is more the truth than any technical reason; "this" is the quote above; perfectly stated, and perfectly true. I enjoyed reading it, as it put things into a common sense perspective...

"Cameras working after an impact have always had a luck of the draw aspect to it. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they break later for no apparent reason."
By Wheatfield

But the interest is just how I am. When in first grade I started to draw the insides of things. Buy the 5th I was designing whole cars including the suspensions and weight distribution. Of course their was no math behind my designs or hard science. I would just go to the library and read books on how things work. So I designed everything. Some of my ideas at my peak at around the 4th-6th grade were latter invented in real life. I am amazed to this day. I stopped drawing around the 8th grade(?). I went to school to become a mechanical engineer, found better things to do with my time and returned to become a computer programmer. Just a bit of my background and the why of me and my silly posts....

Another error on my post I did not really explain the problem. That is the supposed problem proposed by another member. The reason I believe it is real, is Pentax had repaired broken SD PCB readers to main PCB board connections, it was a 'small' problem, for a few.

Here is the proposed flaw and why I feel Pentax (the reason why it may happen and just for curiosity, not alarm people) changed the design slightly. But again, both the K10D and K20D have prove tough and in my experience its very true about just the luck of how things land determines the outcome, like rolling dice. However there is some benefit to a more robust build this is logical...

Here is the reason if interested it explains and show pics of the proposed problem. One PCB board (SD reader) is mounted directly to the plastic batter chamber. The main PCB board for the K10D is mounted directly to the metal chassis. The battery chamber has the heavy battery. Pentax designed the chassis to flex (K20D : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX

Here is the link to the original post- he is also a member here and I had hoped he would chime in.

Ask for Pentax DSLR internal craft improvement (I) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Its a superb concept. But note that all connections to the main PCB use flexible PCB connectors, for the very reason of movement. However the main PCB comes up and pushes right into the little hard plastic connection on the SD card-reader thats bolted to the battery compartment. while the main PCB is secured using several small machine screws onto the main 3/4 stainless-steel frame, this will logically be a problem (in certain cases, and just a few) and was for just a few or a bit more...

Again not being an alarmist. My gear is fully covered through a rider to my home owners insurance. If I drop and break my K20D or any of my gear I am one happy camper because that means a new K-7 or something.... well minus the $100 detectable.

So listen to Wheatfield because that statement is more true than any little issue some geeks think they found. And slight issues can be found with anything not made by god... I just want a folks to know I am not posting to knock the K10D... I want you to knock the K20D and tell me LOL

Second part showing damage to connection
06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d

PET tape Ive used in electrical/electroncs industry I work in
is a polyester filament,double sticky sided, industry workhorse.
In this case, appears to be an effort to reduce moment of inertia
in the event of impact (regarding PCB's)

If it was my call, would have board thru-holed,posted,and soldiered

HOYA's qc doesnt seem to be as aggressive as what the Pentax people
used to do.

Never had a problem with my K20's, never dropped it.
(get grumpy over friggin batteries though)