Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K100D Super broken -- AF motor won't engage lens

So I used my trusty K100D Super in some pretty rough conditions this past weekend and now it won't work right!

When mounting any AF lens and trying to focus, the AF motor whirrs and spins but the screw won't engage the lens, so the lens doesn't focus at all. The screw drive pin is still visible on the mount but it might be that it's been pushed in a little, it's hard to tell.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is there anything I can try before turning it in for repair?

06-09-2010, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you check if the screw protrudes slightly from the mount on the camera? It should be about 1mm past the edge, and move all the way in when the lens release button is pressed.

The only possible cause I can think of is that the above button might be jammed, and that's assuming that the lens is not broken and also properly mounted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can you check if the screw protrudes slightly from the mount on the camera? It should be about 1mm past the edge, and move all the way in when the lens release button is pressed.

The only possible cause I can think of is that the above button might be jammed, and that's assuming that the lens is not broken and also properly mounted.
Okay, the screw protrudes about 0.3 mm above the mount. When I press lens release, it does go in all the way, but it doesn't come out all the way. I just compared to what it looks like on my MZ-6, and the screw definitely doesn't go out as far as it should -- so the mechanism isn't broken, but somehow it's been pushed in. Can I carefully unscrew the mount to see what's up, or will a million small parts go flying in every direction if I do?

(The lens is fine, I've tried it with a couple of different lenses.)
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Try engaging and disengaging the manual switch first for the AF-MF.
It might be just that the switch isn't fully engaged.
Try it a couple of times before you try to dismantle anything.
For all you know it might un-jam it.
Good luck!

06-09-2010, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Okay, the screw protrudes about 0.3 mm above the mount. When I press lens release, it does go in all the way, but it doesn't come out all the way. I just compared to what it looks like on my MZ-6, and the screw definitely doesn't go out as far as it should -- so the mechanism isn't broken, but somehow it's been pushed in. Can I carefully unscrew the mount to see what's up, or will a million small parts go flying in every direction if I do?

(The lens is fine, I've tried it with a couple of different lenses.)
You can do whatever you like, it's your camera (but of course you knew that already).. Before tearing into it though, have you exercised the AF/MF lever to make sure it's doing It's job?

06-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys were right, and I feel VERY silly: the AF/MF lever had stuck in the middle. I can't believe I didn't think to try that myself. Oh well, camera's fine! Thanks again!