Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Taking pics of Jewelry

So my wife owns her own custom Jewelry making business and I want to use my k100d to take some pics of her work for her web site I am wondering what everyone recommends for putting the jewelry on to take the pic. We have a black cloth but when you take a pic you can see the weave in it so what would you all recommend for close up shots? rp

08-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Try using a portable light box. There are quite a few out there, mostly geared towards Ebay product photography. They are inexpensive.

I found this web site that is an advert for one of them, but it does give you some good ideas, even if you don't need the product.

Jewelry photography tips - how to photograph jewelry

I have used black art paper in the past. That is an option.
08-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks we have a light setup but were looking for something of put it on though that gave me the idea of a black piece of shinny pvc rp
08-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Back when I was a archaeologist and shooting old things, I had a collection of squares of black, red, white, brown and other colors of velvet. Something that is non reflective. I also shot 18% Grey/90% and color targets as seperate shots to do color/exposure balance controls.

Cyberguys has Photo Studio In-a-box, SIB-101CS, American Recorder at Cyberguys.com but you can make one for yourself with a little thought. Back in the day I used multiple flash heads to do the same thing. I wish I had a real x-sync port on my K10D or *ist Ds - then I could do this kind of stuff all over again. ==== Wait - did I just say that? Living in a basement taking picures of pots, rocks and 400-10,000 year old bones --- ah to be young again.

Edit: I saw a battery powered LED worklamp that just might be a replacement for tungsten/halogen lights - might be onto something there.

PDL

Last edited by PDL; 08-08-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added thing about LED's
08-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jewellery photographs

Just to add to that, I have done the same sort of photos for my daughter who sells her own made jewellery.
I found that black felt is the way to go. I, too, have a whole assortment of felt squares, reg green white black etc etc and have found them great.
Just an example (albeit not the greatest ). This particular shot was taken for her business cards.

Last edited by Bramela; 10-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
08-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
very cool thanks it looks like felt is the way to go rp
08-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

How about just going to the art store, and buying a package of multi colored paper. Then you can simpily use the color which compliments the piece the best.

If you have problems photographing a piece try scaning it instead
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #8

Strobist