Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Firmware v1.31 causes wireless P-TTL issues on the K10D?

Hi,

I recently upgraded to firmware v1.31 on my K10D and have been having all sorts of problems with wireless P-TTL flash ever since.

I'm using the built-in flash in combination with a AF-540FGZ. I'm using the built-in flash in both "master" and "controller" modes.

Symptoms include:

* Changes to the wireless channel not always registering on the camera
* A high number of frames when the 540FGZ does not fire at all

I know that wireless P-TTL can be a bit hit-and-miss, but it seems to have got REALLY bad since the firmware upgrade.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I have tried to downgrade back to v1.30 , but the K10D refuses because it's an older version.

Thanks,

Adam

06-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #2

Original Poster
I'm surprised I've had no replies

I'd love a fellow K10D user with firmware v1.31 to confirm (or otherwise) what I'm seeing.

Further testing seems to suggest that everything works okay, except when the built-in flash is set as "controller" - then the external flash will not fire at all.

Any help or info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
06-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry but I haven't upgraded to 1.31 and I don't use wireless flash, so I can't help you here. Let's see what others will say
06-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Hi,

I recently upgraded to firmware v1.31 on my K10D and have been having all sorts of problems with wireless P-TTL flash ever since.

I'm using the built-in flash in combination with a AF-540FGZ. I'm using the built-in flash in both "master" and "controller" modes.

Symptoms include:

* Changes to the wireless channel not always registering on the camera
* A high number of frames when the 540FGZ does not fire at all

I know that wireless P-TTL can be a bit hit-and-miss, but it seems to have got REALLY bad since the firmware upgrade.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I have tried to downgrade back to v1.30 , but the K10D refuses because it's an older version.

Thanks,

Adam
I haven't upgraded to 1.31 either. I have had no problems with wireless flash and the 540FGZ in firmware 1.30 and using it in "master" and "controller" modes. I do know that I have to make sure that my Flash is securely fixed in the hot shoe WHEN registering the flash gun.
Firmware 1.31 is for "Improved stability of recording images for some SDHC memory cards"
Can't see the connection, so would advise you to contact Pentax

06-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
flash problem

I'd check the flash unit and as said, make sure it is cleanly and firmly attached. The FW upgrade does not affect the flash settings (not supposed to).

Flash not firing sometimes is often due to dirty contact between the flash and the camera
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It looks like not everyone read your question very well, as clean contacts have nothing to do with Pentax's wireless flash system. I haven't upgraded from 1.3, but I believe some users have been able to revert to older firmware versions because of SDM problems and bf/ff adjustment issues. Search for debug and read a few (long) threads. I believe that's where you'll find instructions on how to go back. Hope that helps!
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I found it so you won't have to search:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/27040-k10d-firmwar...tml#post239113

12-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had the same problem (albeit with an EF530 DG S). I have also found it impossible go downgrade from 1.31 in the way described on the web, as I had very few problems with 1.30...
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Forum Member

I also faced some problem with the wireless flash after upgrading to 1.31 - until I found this info:

"-Connect the flash to the hotshoe of the camera,
-Turn on camera
-Set flash mode to Wireless in camera (Fn, Down, scroll to the last option on the right)
-Turn on flash on Wirelss mode
-Do a half press on camera's shutter button.
They are now synced and ready to take pictures.
Now take the flash off the camera, place it on your stroboframe and pop up the built in flash".

This half press to sync the camera and flash AFTER the upgrade solved the problem for me and 1.31 wireless funks like 1.30
01-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I may have mad a false accusation - turns out my EF530 is damaged, and only fires intermittently, even using the test button. Watch this space!
01-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
As the OP, apologies for not returning to this thread sooner.

After lots of head scratching I still wasn't getting anywhere so I went back to basics.

Further testing showed that my built-in flash appears to mis-firing (tested by shooting into a mirror).

So it appears my specific case was not a wireless flash problem, but a built-in flash problem.

It also seems not to have anything to do with firmware 1.31 - I guess my discovery of the problem just happened to coincide with me installing the update.

Apologies for any confusion this may have caused, but hopefully I'll have given some of you other guys experiencing issues a new area to check/test!

Thanks,

Adam