Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x: Slow focus!

I owned it briefly and returned it. The battery issue was very bothering. Pentax should have done a better job before releasing. I returned it before the new firmware was release so I am not sure it fixes the problem. Two things I don't like through my limited use. 1)ver slow focus in low light in Live view 2)load shutter click ( it is presented on the third video : Videoclips about Pentax K-x Digital Camera ). I understand some don't care. But one of the advantages of using a DSLR is its low light capability...for indoor activities. In many such instances the loud click sound is annoying. I got a Canon T1i instead. It costs a bit more, not much. But I got it during the Thanksgiving for about the same price. The Canon fitted with a Tamron 18-270mm weight, about the same of the Pentax fitted with a Tamron 18-250mm lens.

06-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

Live View seems to focus more slowly in all conditiions so I don't use it except to let my kids take a shot. .

The shutter is a bit loud at first. You get used to it quickly however. I've had my camera for 7 months and haven't thought about the shutter sound since the first couple of weeks.

The KX is great camera.
06-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Shutter sound

QuoteOriginally posted by thrillerb Quote
Live View seems to focus more slowly in all conditiions so I don't use it except to let my kids take a shot. .

The shutter is a bit loud at first. You get used to it quickly however. I've had my camera for 7 months and haven't thought about the shutter sound since the first couple of weeks.

The KX is great camera.
While I don't notice the loudness after using it for a while, others around me certainly notice it.

This has been a significant drawback in some circumstances - the noise is loud enough that I feel obligated to put the camera down. If I'm lucky, I've a K-7 with me and can swap, living with the need for NR later. Otherwise I simply lose the shots.

I'm actually getting less happy with this the more I shoot with the K-x.
06-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Live view is asking for slow [ EDIT: I originlly wrote fast by mistake! ] focus. If you want fast focus, and a steadier shot to boot, hold the camera properly and shooting through the viewfinder.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.
06-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #5

The T1i has a wheezing sound when the mirror returns back to the original position. This is a strange noise for a dSLR since it sounds like film is being advanced.
06-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Live view forces the camera to focus in much the same way that a P&S focuses, so it's no surprise that AF in live view is slower.
I use a 7D from time to time and it is significantly slowed by live view as well (though still faster than Pentax it seems).
I don't understand the fetish towards silent cameras, if you want one, get a P&S' put up with the crappy AF and enjoy what you can get from it.
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gubak Quote
I owned it briefly and returned it. The battery issue was very bothering. Pentax should have done a better job before releasing.
What battery issue are you referring to? Regarding batteries, call me crazy but I upgraded from the K-x to K-7 and miss the convenience of cheap, abundant, ubiquitous AA batteries. Expensive proprietary Li batteries are akin to inkjet ink. Around town I'd be eco-friendly and use Eneloops (good for 500 shots) and switch to Energizer Li for pro work (>2k shots).

QuoteOriginally posted by guback:
I returned it before the new firmware was release so I am not sure it fixes the problem. Two things I don't like through my limited use. 1)ver slow focus in low light in Live view
As other's have mentioned, LV AF is slow because the camera employs a different method of focusing (simple contrast detection) than when using a viewfinder (phase detection). The ability to detect contrast is diminished in low-light conditions. It just doesn't make sense to purchase a DSLR and rely on LV for anything but slow, deliberate work such as macro photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by guback:
2)load shutter click ( it is presented on the third video : Videoclips about Pentax K-x Digital Camera ). I understand some don't care. But one of the advantages of using a DSLR is its low light capability...for indoor activities. In many such instances the loud click sound is annoying.
I wasn't too bothered by the sound, but the K-x's loud mirror slap actually introduced unwanted movement in the most delicate tripod shots - I would always lock the mirror in those conditions. Not really an issue on the K-7 - feels like a well-insulated car.

QuoteOriginally posted by gubak:
I got a Canon T1i instead. It costs a bit more, not much. But I got it during the Thanksgiving for about the same price. The Canon fitted with a Tamron 18-270mm weight, about the same of the Pentax fitted with a Tamron 18-250mm lens.
That's a nice camera. Enjoy!

06-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I use a 7D from time to time and it is significantly slowed by live view as well (though still faster than Pentax it seems)
Do you own the 7D? I find it interesting when folks invest in and maintain 2 different systems.
06-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

load shutter click ( it is presented on the third video : Videoclips about Pentax K-x Digital Camera ). I understand some don't care. But one of the advantages of using a DSLR is its low light capability...for indoor activities. In many such instances the loud click sound is annoying.
No SLR is really that silent (except maybe the oddballs using pellicle mirrors). The K-x is a bit loud to my ears, but not overwhelmingly so for a situation with any level of ambient noise. In the olden days, you'd reach for a rangefinder or a TLR. Regardless of the particular SLR you should be looking for a camera blimp if you need true silence.

Last edited by junyo; 06-12-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Proofreading after the fact
06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Inactive Account

my ist dl has the loudest mirror slap i've ever heard, to the point where I will refuse to ever use it for event photography (loosing me many many opportunities)

the k7 is near silent, think the kx was about on the cusp of acceptability

the 500d was super noisy- seeing as nearly everyone in the world has that camera it's shutter sound haunts me, and spoils nearly every event I go to
it's actually really quite anoying, people using 500d's and slow lenses with flash- ruined a recent student film festival I was at- event 'photographers' should have to use f2.8 or slower, no flash, and have more concern over the noise their bloody cam makes

550d is a bit quiter though I think
7d has a weird shutter sound
nikon is very loud (d300)
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I owned it briefly and returned it. The battery issue was very bothering. Pentax should have done a better job before releasing. I returned it before the new firmware was release so I am not sure it fixes the problem. Two things I don't like through my limited use. 1)ver slow focus in low light in Live view 2)load shutter click ( it is presented on the third video : Videoclips about Pentax K-x Digital Camera ). I understand some don't care. But one of the advantages of using a DSLR is its low light capability...for indoor activities. In many such instances the loud click sound is annoying. I got a Canon T1i instead. It costs a bit more, not much. But I got it during the Thanksgiving for about the same price. The Canon fitted with a Tamron 18-270mm weight, about the same of the Pentax fitted with a Tamron 18-250mm lens.
I think you are asking too much from an entry-level DSLR. My Kx battery issue was resolved with the firmware update and with Eneloops. All cameras, no matter the brand and model, will always focus slower in LiveView then when looking through the viewfinder (the Kx may be slower than others but again it is an ENTRY-LEVEL camera), and again, yes, the shutter is loud but if you want a quieter shutter then get a P&S or pay more for a higher quality DLSR. As for the low-light capabilities I think the Kx out performs the T1i. I have done a side by side comparison with my friends T1i and the IQ above ISO800, to me is noticeably better on the Kx.

The Kx is a great camera, I just think your expectations were too high for what you purchased.
06-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll probably post more on this later, but I just got back from two weeks in Spain with the K-x as my primary camera and the DA Limited lineup as my primary lenses. This combo was superb. My only glitch was getting a speck on the sensor that I could not remove with air or shaking, but PS takes care of the spots.

There is no problem with battery life on my K-x as far as I can see. Someone mentioned getting 2k exposures on Energizer Li batts. Not me. I got well over 3,000 on a set! I don't use the flash much, but after 6,000 clicks, the second set of Ultimate Li batts still reads full.

The size of the body was perfect, especially with the DA Ltd lenses, and I'm good at quick lens changes. I only use live view when holding the camera over my head, because, as Marc noted, we have the P&S for that. The focus speed was fine 99% of the time (especially with the Li batts), and when it is not, there is manual focus.

Great job, Pentax on the best travel SLR ever!
06-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow. Great battery results GeneV - two weeks of usage and 3000 exposures is a great argument for Lithium AA's and a great result for the camera.

Which DA Ltd's did you take along?
06-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Wow. Great battery results GeneV - two weeks of usage and 3000 exposures is a great argument for Lithium AA's and a great result for the camera.

Which DA Ltd's did you take along?
The Li batts are amazing, and it perks up the mechanical aspect of the AF as well.

I took the DA15, 20, 40 and 70. I hardly touched a zoom. If I had it to do again, I would have snagged a DA35 before leaving.

I was a big fan of the DA17-70, but once you have seen the results at distance from the DA70, it is hard to get it off the camera.
06-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #15

I really do not see the point of the OP posting this thread now.

He bought a K-x and got rid of it,before the firmware update was released, and bought a Canon .

The firmware update was released on 3rd december 2009, why come on this forum complaining abot the K-x now, 7 months later.

The battery problem has been fixed. The shutter is not that noisy and the auto focus is quite fast, i certainly have no complaints.

The K-x is a great beginers DSLR and capable of taking wonderfull photos.
For those that think the K-x is giving them problems mine came with an invaluable accessory-A USER MANUAL- Read it!