Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Just curious to know more about the underexposure issue(s?) of your K10D.
Yes, the K100D is a more simple camera to use and sometimes thus having even more fun!
At a guess it's a fried light meter. I'm talking exposure as in near black photos.
I definitely don't find the K100D more fun to use, other than the lighter weight!
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
What's wrong with "basic controls", I'd like to know.
All one needs is a lens, a means to control shutter speed, aperture, and something to capture the image. Items 2 and 3 aren't even strictly necessary, as my 1930s box Brownie demonstrates to me quite clearly....though it does make things a bit of a crap shoot.
The cameras I enjoy using the most are my TLRs, with no interchangeable lenses, and just simple slide controls for shutter and aperture.
A zillion modes with accompanying bells and whistles and their accompanying "learning curve" may be fine, and I'm sure they have their uses....but there is no need to look down on cameras which lack them and turn in respectable images all the same.
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Hi Mike,

There are a few very well-thought-out differences between the K100 (or *ist DS/DL) and the K10 that you would probably appreciate. My most commonly used, among others:
  • The two scroll wheels allow you to control aperture with one and exposure compensation with the other.
  • ISO is instantly selectable by pressing the OK button and using the scroll wheels.
  • Direct access to metering mode - spot, center, or matrix.
  • There is a 'USER' setting which memorizes all of the critical settings while shooting.
  • The viewfinder is a pentaprism (so is the *ist D/DS) vs. a pentamirror.
  • The on-board flash can act as a wireless controller to trigger a remote flash.

There are few negatives to the K10, one of which - erratic exposure with manual lenses - can be eliminated by using a different focus screen. The high ISO performance isn't as smooth as the 6MP models.
Other than that, the K10 is a smart design and the additional features are oriented towards photographers, not just there as a bell or whistle.

(PS - I have close to 60,000 shots on my trusty *ist DS, so I obviously am happy with both cameras.)

--Sean
One problem I have with the K100D is the extra modes which the K10D doesn't have which I find irrelevant! I like the Hyper Program mode, the 3 setting AF switch (vs 2 on the K100D), the dedicated RAW button, the front e-dial, the fact that it uses a single rechargeable battery, AF and AE metering mode dials, etc. AF is slightly faster too. I'm not looking down on it... wait, I am. Hell, that's my prerogative. I did a hell of a lot of research about what camera I wanted and ended up spending nearly twice what I originally planned, but I love the K10D - I'm bloody glad I didn't get a Nikon D40 knowing how the K100D frustrates me!

Although, the K100D actually fits in my snoot bag, haha.

08-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So you're more fascinated with playing with the buttons and switches than taking pictures. I guess we all enjoy photography for our own reasons.

Personally, two of the controls account for 99% of my interaction with the camera body; the on/off switch and the shutter button. Amazingly, I still manage to somehow take pictures that way. I suspect that if I had a K10D the story would be the same.

You find my camera frustratingly "simple" and I find yours pointlessly overloaded (in comparison to my needs) with electronic doodads. But I normally try to resist the urge to muddy our otherwise tranquil waters through posting opinions calculated to tick others off.

I have to admit that yesterday when I went out for a day of shooting, I spent most of my time shooting with a Yashica D TLR and wondering why in hell I was lugging along a bag with the K100D and assorted lenses. Next time, I think I may just leave it at home. I mention that just so you know that I'm sort of a Luddite dinosaur when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-17-2007 at 08:21 AM.
08-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
One problem I have with the K100D is the extra modes which the K10D doesn't have which I find irrelevant!
So don't use them.
08-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
So don't use them.
That's exactly the approach I take. I forget they're even there most of the time. Shooting with Takumar lenses almost exclusively, the mode dial rarely leaves Av anyway.

Maybe he's afraid somebody will see the icons and fail to recognize him as a Serious Photographer.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-18-2007 at 01:27 AM.
08-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
So you're more fascinated with playing with the buttons and switches than taking pictures. I guess we all enjoy photography for our own reasons.
Aren't you little miss defensive! I prefer my K10D, your prefer your K100D - good for us? The point I'm making about the "missing" dials on the K100D are a couple of features I regularly use - the focusing and metering modes. Focusing if I want a different focus point, or if I want continuous focusing. I change the metering mode depending on what I want as well. The point of this being a problem is that sometimes these things need to be instantly accessible to get a particular shot.

Hug?
08-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Sure, hug, why not?
08-19-2007, 04:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yay!

The bottom line is I'm extremely lucky to have this camera at all - loaners aren't common.