Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Temporary K100D user

Well, the underexposure issues on my K10D weren't resolved by that simple fix (the thread about that is somewhere...). I dropped it into the importer's Adelaide office this afternoon and basically said I need a camera, this is the kind of equipment you rely upon! After basically glaring me down and saying no, the rep's tone changed and he disappeared & came back with an ex-demo K100D.

So, nice camera you guys have too! It says something for how steep the learning curve of the K10D is if you haven't used manual controls before (the K100D seems a touch basic... no offence!) and I miss some of the extra controls, like the focus mode selection (auto, select, centre) dial, and the front e-dial.

Here's some snaps, with the 16-45.

08-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I borderline guarantee your camera comes back the same, it underexposes intentionally.
08-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #3

Temporary-maybe

because as I own both. I have personally found a superb use for both: K100D is a definite tool for low-light and macro work (maybe something wrong with my K10D but still..) and K10D for creative and decent light plus flash usage :-) Overall I am very happy with both- and more: lucky me as I did not sell my K100D- it has several strong fields of usage over my copy of K10D (most basically: superb walkaround with Tamron 18-250 for instance- absolutely noisefree images for such an application)
Best and happy shooting, JR
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The more I read about the K10D here, the happier I am I don't own one.

08-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I purchased K100D few months ago as a backup body (after getting all the rebates from lenses and body, so $150 was my out of pocket cost for this DSLR) ... While it does not have all the "readily available" controls and settings as my K10D, I find this camera very pleasant to use, no issues at all, very solid performer! No regrets at all for spending money on it!

Even 2 POTDs in Macro category with it (shameless plug ) I'm seriousely considering just leaving the macro lens on it and using it for all the closeup photography. Truly enjoy this camera!

Regards,
D
08-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I borderline guarantee your camera comes back the same, it underexposes intentionally.
No, no. I'm talking near black photos, probably about -3EV out. +2EV certainly doesn't fix it.
08-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Well, the underexposure issues on my K10D weren't resolved by that simple fix (the thread about that is somewhere...). I dropped it into the importer's Adelaide office this afternoon
Just curious to know more about the underexposure issue(s?) of your K10D.

QuoteQuote:
So, nice camera you guys have too! It says something for how steep the learning curve of the K10D is if you haven't used manual controls before (the K100D seems a touch basic... no offence!) and I miss some of the extra controls, like the focus mode selection (auto, select, centre) dial, and the front e-dial.
Yes, the K100D is a more simple camera to use and sometimes thus having even more fun!
08-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What's wrong with "basic controls", I'd like to know.

All one needs is a lens, a means to control shutter speed, aperture, and something to capture the image. Items 2 and 3 aren't even strictly necessary, as my 1930s box Brownie demonstrates to me quite clearly....though it does make things a bit of a crap shoot.

The cameras I enjoy using the most are my TLRs, with no interchangeable lenses, and just simple slide controls for shutter and aperture.

A zillion modes with accompanying bells and whistles and their accompanying "learning curve" may be fine, and I'm sure they have their uses....but there is no need to look down on cameras which lack them and turn in respectable images all the same.

08-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
What's wrong with "basic controls", I'd like to know.

All one needs is a lens, a means to control shutter speed, aperture, and something to capture the image. Items 2 and 3 aren't even strictly necessary, as my 1930s box Brownie demonstrates to me quite clearly....though it does make things a bit of a crap shoot.

The cameras I enjoy using the most are my TLRs, with no interchangeable lenses, and just simple slide controls for shutter and aperture.

A zillion modes with accompanying bells and whistles and their accompanying "learning curve" may be fine, and I'm sure they have their uses....but there is no need to look down on cameras which lack them and turn in respectable images all the same.
Hi Mike,

There are a few very well-thought-out differences between the K100 (or *ist DS/DL) and the K10 that you would probably appreciate. My most commonly used, among others:
  • The two scroll wheels allow you to control aperture with one and exposure compensation with the other.
  • ISO is instantly selectable by pressing the OK button and using the scroll wheels.
  • Direct access to metering mode - spot, center, or matrix.
  • There is a 'USER' setting which memorizes all of the critical settings while shooting.
  • The viewfinder is a pentaprism (so is the *ist D/DS) vs. a pentamirror.
  • The on-board flash can act as a wireless controller to trigger a remote flash.

There are few negatives to the K10, one of which - erratic exposure with manual lenses - can be eliminated by using a different focus screen. The high ISO performance isn't as smooth as the 6MP models.
Other than that, the K10 is a smart design and the additional features are oriented towards photographers, not just there as a bell or whistle.

(PS - I have close to 60,000 shots on my trusty *ist DS, so I obviously am happy with both cameras.)

--Sean
08-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #10

i have a question about k100d befor i buy the k10d or k100d.
is it possible in k100d change the iso like you wrote here? or always i need to press FN.

# ISO is instantly selectable by pressing the OK button and using the scroll wheels.

thansk
08-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you, Sean. I truly appreciate the thoughtful and useful post.

My point, though, is at the far end of all that learning curve and "advanced" controls, the K10D user is still controlling the same thing the K100D user is controlling and the same thing users of the bulk of "ancient" film cameras is controlling: shutter speed and aperture. That the K10D offers various doodads and gimcracks to get one there makes no direct contribution to a difference in the final output (photo), so far as regards ending up at a particular shutter speed or aperture is concerned. They're handy, I'm sure, but in viewing the final photo can one really tell which way the advanced controls were set up to yield the shutter speed and aperture?

It's sort of like tilt-and-telescope steering columns on a car. A nice creature comfort, but watching two cars going down the road one can't tell any difference between a car that has it and one that doesn't.
08-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

That second picture just screams "Round-Up"!
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mephiska Quote
# ISO is instantly selectable by pressing the OK button and using the scroll wheels.

thansk
Nope. Need to press Fn.
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nope. Need to press Fn.
Sadly, you're right
08-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There are no underexposure problems inherent to the design of the K10D. The K10D was designed to mimmic film photography as closely as possible, as in, a different ideal than that of Canon or Nikon. Yes, the camera takes slightly different photos at first glance, however, when you take a detailed look at the photos you will see far higher tonal quality from the images than a camera that purposely over-sharpens and over-saturates the images. One of the quickest and easiest ways to get that 'CaNikon look' is to change the Image Tone to 'bright' and + 1 on the sharpness. Also, I see many people who only own the DA 18-55, DA 16-45 or DA 50-200 lens stating the images are underexposed. I suspect one or more could be the reason. Maybe these users are taking photos in 'all green' mode yet leaving the flash down. If you're going to use all the 'auto' features, make sure the flash is up so the camera can complete the job as you requested. Another thing worth mentioning, the lenses I noted earlier are NOT good low-light performers, hence the reason they state the f-stop as 4, etc.. They're telling you straight-up that the lens works best with moderate to high light conditions. If you need to take low-light photos, you need a different lens.