Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #1

something sliding within my new k10d

hey there...
i have just recieved a new k10d and notice that when i tip it from side to side something large is sliding within the camera. Im guessing i got a dud. has anyone else had this problem?

08-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrsnoogle Quote
hey there...
i have just recieved a new k10d and notice that when i tip it from side to side something large is sliding within the camera. Im guessing i got a dud. has anyone else had this problem?
The anti-shake mechanism in the K10D can make a noticeable thunk as the camera is tilted from side to side. I'm assuming that's what you are noticing; if so, it's normal and nothing to be concerned about.
08-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have recently just bought a k100d and this does not make the same sound. And even when i tilt the camera very slowly from side to side i still get the 'thunk'. Is this still normal ?

And if so why doesnt the k100d do the same thing?
08-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Forum Member

Its the shake reduction. When the camera is off the magnets that hold the sensor up and in place are off which allows the CCD to move around quite abit.

08-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #5

While my K100D doesn't do it side-to-side, if I turn it upside down and right side up again, there's some movement inside. What Shibby said is true and I don't worry about it.
08-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new K10D doesn't have this noise that I can hear (or feel)... Maybe I'm the one who got a dud. LOL
08-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Banned

Obviously, if it doesnt work, you got a dud.

If it works correctly, then dont worry about it.

08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There should definately not be any sliding sound. I have two K10D's and neither gives any such noise. I suggest you have it looked at.

The only noise similiar to the one you describe, comes from the battery in the the optional grip, which moves little when shaking the camera.

Perhaps try a variety of lenses, in case its something to do with a lens.

Hope this helps
08-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My new K10D doesn't have this noise that I can hear (or feel)... Maybe I'm the one who got a dud. LOL
Maybe you're hands aren't sensitive enough It's not really a "thud", it's much less severe than that. My K10D does it too, camera on or off. Always thought it was the orientation sensor.
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I respectfully disagree and say that there should definitely be possible to hear and feel the sensor plate/suspension stuff move inside the camera. I can't see why there should be such an hugh amount of threads about it otherwise (here and at DPR). Then I'm not counting the OP more than once as he has cross-posted this question. I'll stop there though preventing me from going totally OT.

regards,
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Inactive Account

To "mrsnoogle"

If you have the DR (Dust Removal) setting enabled in one of the menus (I forget which), when you initially switch on the K10D there is always quite a noticeable "thunk" as the magnetic field around the sensor initially 'kicks-in' and stabilises the mechanism. This process is entirely normal and I would personally be extremely concerned if the camera didn't do this, because it would indicate to the user that something was seriously amiss with the innards of the camera !!! Hope this helps to reassure you ?

Best regards
Richard
08-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Okay, there's a simple way to find out if it's the dust removal system (My K10D does the same thing)
Turn the camera around when it is switched OFF. See what rotation causes the 'thudding'. Switch cam on, repeat movement. Thudding gone? No prob, DR. Thudding still there? Dud.
If you have DR 'on' on camera start, you'll have a far more noticeable double-thud, but only when you switch it on..
My bet is you're OK...