Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #1

best buy k200D refurb

hi. several sellers on ebay are selling refurbished k200Ds on ebay. i bid on several and finally won one. $300 with tax (this is a business that collects sales tax). it arrived today. the box was clearly a return, but the camera itself was great. i dont see any signs of use at all. how does one figure out the number of shutter activations? i never saw any reference to that in any manual.

06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mnseawa Quote
snip how does one figure out the number of shutter activations? i never saw any reference to that in any manual.
Download and install PhotoMe. PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor Open an image in it. It will show all EXIF information and then some! There is a field that shows the shutter count.
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's odd that you say the box is a return. I bought a factory refurb K200D about a year ago from an autherized Pentax dealer. It came in a plain white factory sealed and marked with Pentax bar codes box. Box was brand new with refurb labels and bar codes. Did the ebay seller say anything about North American warranty?
06-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also go online to My Shutter Count.com Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com, and just upload a picture and it will tell you how many actuations your camera has. I hope that helps!

06-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Flickr also includes shutter counts when full exif has been included with image uploads on many Pentax dslr. I just recently noticed shutter count info in at least K-7 and K-x images so I assume many if not all the other models do as well.
I have not yet bothered to see what info Photobucket lists in the properties of uploaded images there.
06-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

silly question here but what typically is done to a camera when it is refurbished? and I assume that they are safe to buy?
06-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
silly question here but what typically is done to a camera when it is refurbished? and I assume that they are safe to buy?
I've had mine for over a year and use it regularly and if it's the real deal not grey market it has 90 day factory warranty
06-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

thanks seacapt I only ask since there is a member selling some refurbished K200 in the marketplace and I was thinking of picking one up as a backup camera and possibly converting my k100 to Ir or passing it on have not decided that part yet.

06-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
My experience is in the tech sector but most refurbs are just repackaged returns. Nothing is done unless there are obvious sings of damage. The theory is that most returns are user error or buyers remorse and that odds are that the unit is in perfect working order. So playing those odds, manufacturers gamble that the majority of units will not come back for repair within the 90 day warrantee period.
06-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I have not yet bothered to see what info Photobucket lists in the properties of uploaded images there.
Not a whole lot, just the basics. Nothing that looks like a shutter count that I can see from there.
06-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
shutter count

thanks for the tips. the shutter count on my best buy refurbished camera was under 200. it is in perfect shape. i am quite happy.