Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Fixed. I found the way for it to tell me. Previously, I had the card door open. Just now, I removed the card and closed the door. Then I get the message no card in camera.

Thanks everyone for your input. And Transit, since you posted your camera photo, I could see the door wasn't open. So, that's what made me decided to take the card out and close the door. So, you get the prize for helping me see.

Now I just have to remember to close the door.

And Jeff. The reason I don't use the USB cable....plugged into the computer it drains the batteries in the camera.
Speaking about leaving the card door open, I never do because I can just picture hitting it the wrong way and breaking the door off, so I always close the door when I remove the card. I guess that I'm funny that way.

06-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My theory was if I left the door open, I wouldn't forget to put the card back in....blew that one. I have my camera sitting near me, at my computer, the only way I would break the door is if it fell off what it is sitting on and hit our Terrazzo floors.
06-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

And Jeff. The reason I don't use the USB cable....plugged into the computer it drains the batteries in the camera.
You can use an external power supply so that's a weak excuse I use the USB cable as well, better flat batteries that can be charged than no card

My standard kit for the K100D contains a charger that works on the car battery as well.
06-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I didn't get those items with my Used K100D. And don't plan to buy those either. Neither is that important to me. I just was telling Jeff what happens when you use only the USB cable. I did not come in to argue about what I should own or not own, either.

06-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You can use an external power supply so that's a weak excuse I use the USB cable as well, better flat batteries that can be charged than no card

My standard kit for the K100D contains a charger that works on the car battery as well.
I didn't get those items with my Used K100D. And don't plan to buy those either. Neither is that important to me. I just was telling Jeff what happens when you use only the USB cable. I did not come in to argue about what I should own or not own, either.
I tend not to argue with people when they state what works best for them. I didn't challenge Mar on the battery issue because it's a dead point. I typically download the photos and then simply recharge the batteries if needed. Since I don't use AA (the dead point) batteries in the camera, it is a non issue for me. Even in the weakest state, the proprietary batteries hold enough charge to empty the 8Gb cards I use. If not, there's always a spare on the charger.

I got in the habit of using the USB because my old computer's card reader wouldn't read a card greater than 2Gb but transfer works fine with the USB connection. It also cures the potential of leaving the card in the reader. I have also gotten into the habit of taking a test shot of some sort before leaving the house (to make sure everything is working). So whatever works best for you go with it. Be happy. It isn't worth arguing about.

06-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
because my old computer's card reader wouldn't read a card greater than 2Gb
Sometimes you can get an upgrade for your driver of the card reader that allows the use of larger card sizes, and SDHC capabilities. Just saying.

You're right, of course, it's not what can be done but what you or I prefer.
06-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Sometimes you can get an upgrade for your driver of the card reader that allows the use of larger card sizes, and SDHC capabilities. Just saying.

You're right, of course, it's not what can be done but what you or I prefer.
Not for that machine. Even though the main interface is a USB 2.0, the actual card reader (for some unknown reason) is a USB 1.1 or something like that. The hardware wouldn't allow an upgrade to 2.0 for the built in reader. I guess I could have just bought another card reader but the camera works just fine as one.

I've also had other problems 'upgrading' what the mother board manufacturer Says should be upgradable. The memory maxes out at 1Gb even though the board MF specs it at 2Gb. The board MF says that the board is SATA compatible and Has 2 ports. Not so on the pre-built pre-loaded machine. The computer works great as built but the second you want to change something it becomes a chore to trick the computer into accepting the upgrades. Moot point anymore. Bought a Win 7 Laptop with an 18" screen and all is good.

06-13-2010, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The K7, and I believe the K20d as well do not tell you there's no card until you take a picture (and there's no card to write it to).
Can't vouch for the K20D, but the K-7 definitively does tell you if there is no card in the camera -- it just only does it in certain circumstances.

If the card has been removed while the camera is switched on, and you then close the card compartment door and half-press the shutter to bring the K-7 back to life, it will state "No card in camera" on the rear LCD. If you power the camera off and back on again, though, or remove the card while powered off, you'll get no warning until after you try to capture an image -- and that warning won't remain after the image review disappears, either.

It's perhaps a slightly inconsistent behaviour, and it'd probably be nicer to have the warning all the time, but there's another way to tell, so it's not the end of the world. Both the top-panel LCD display and the rear info display will show "---" for the images remaining when there's no card in the camera. A quick glance at that indicator will tell you all you need to know.

07-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

knoxploration, thank you so so much!!

This was driving me mad with my new K7. Almost a deal breaker for me, as silly as that may sound. I'm absent-minded, and when I get caught up in PP I completely forget to immediately replace the card. My intended annoying work around was to try to force myself into the habit of: "take card out, immediately put spare card in", but I pictured that not working out in the long run. And the warning only appearing briefly in the LCD will be useless to me once I stop obsessively checking every shot right after I take it, I'm looking forward to knowing the camera well enough to just confidently shoot fast and only check the LCD occasionally.

I think this is really lame on Pentax's part.
07-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I'm absent-minded, and when I get caught up in PP I completely forget to immediately replace the card. My intended annoying work around was to try to force myself into the habit of: "take card out, immediately put spare card in"
Better idea: leave the card door open while downloading pictures. Also get in the habit of taking the card out of the reader *immediately* after downloading - before even *looking* at the pictures, much less getting deep into PP. But if you forget, the open card door will remind you next time you shoot (needless to say, don't put the camera back in the bag this way).
07-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone for your input. And Transit, since you posted your camera photo, I could see the door wasn't open. So, that's what made me decided to take the card out and close the door. So, you get the prize for helping me see.
a prize ? wicked

Pete
07-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I know there is an option too to let you shoot even without memory card as I have mine on that option...but I never forget not to insert the memory card though.
I just want to be able to shoot or play with it even without a memory card inserted.
07-04-2010, 04:47 AM   #28
Inactive Account

The camera won't actually power up at all with the door open, and turns off when you open the door (losing everything in the buffer). I've always thought it's a weird design choice, but I suppose it might stop you corrupting the card.
07-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Better idea: leave the card door open while downloading pictures.
This has always been my approach, and likewise I leave the battery door open if I've taken the battery out. Impossible to forget, with that method.