Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is there no

warning on the K100D that you don't have a memory card inserted?

Funny story. I was getting ready to go outside to shoot, and not remembering I still had the memory card in the card reader attached to the computer, I turned the camera on to check settings....nope, camera promptly shut off. I was thinking, oh, no, my K100D is dead...... Then I turned it over and was going to replace the batteries cause I thought the ones in there were dead and causing the problem....that's when I noticed the memory card door open. and slaps self in head.

06-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually it is.
When you turn on your cam you get warning. There is even an option in Custom Functions that can block camera from shooting when there is no SD card.
06-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I didn't find that warning. Do you have words to the effect that I should change? I checked the manual and didn't see anything in there relating to this option. Course it may be worded differently than what I would expect it to be.

This is what I see in Custom Menu options:

Last edited by photolady95; 06-12-2010 at 08:36 AM.
06-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know about the K100, but the K10 gives the warning on the rear LCD panel, that there is no memory card in the camera when you turn it on.

06-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
No live view in this camera so no rear LCD Jim. The K100D just shuts off if the memory card isn't in the camera.
06-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had to develop new habits for digital cameras: with film if I have to set down an empty camera which has a strap on it, I'd leave a rewind button raised, etc. Habits, habits, habits, that's how I've always gotten by, especially if you've any tendency to be absentminded or forgetful.

(Also, having a grip on my K20d most of the time is nice, apart from adding steadiness for me, it means my sweetie doesn't have to wait while I'm dithering about being sure there are spares in whatever bag I'm using that day when we rush out the door. )

These days, when a digital is empty of card or battery for any reason, I turn camera upside down. I could leave the door open, I suppose, but that is potentially dust-inviting.
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The K7, and I believe the K20d as well do not tell you there's no card until you take a picture (and there's no card to write it to).

Been there.. That's the reason I use the USB cable to connect the camera to the computer. If I don't take the card out, I cannot forget to put it back in.

06-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
No live view in this camera so no rear LCD Jim. The K100D just shuts off if the memory card isn't in the camera.
I'm referring to the screen on the rear of the camera where you view the menu and the photos that you have taken. That is where the K10 will display the message: *No card in the camera*
06-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I put the camera upside down, it would fall off where I have it sitting, and that's no guarantee I'd remember the card was still in the computer. LOL

I also bought a new card (SDHC 4gb) to use in these situations but the newer card was in the computer and the old SD card is only 2gb. I figured if I had to, I would use the SD card while uploading photos to the computer but now I have to hunt for that old card cause I don't know exactly where it is, somewhere on my computer desk.

Jim, when I turn on the camera if there is no card in there, there is no display inside because the camera promptly shuts off. I couldn't see any screen.
06-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #10

Yup, been there. I also have the K100D and I've gone without my card before, only to be really ticked at myself when I get somewhere and realize I have a useless camera.

Usually though, It's because my husband has used my camera, downloaded his pics and forgotten to return my card. He never resets the ISO either and since he's usually taking pictures of things indoors with not much light, he always has the ISO really high. I think it's time for me to upgrade and give him my K100D.
06-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My K100D has 'no card in camera' message.Doesn't stop me going without it

Pete

Last edited by Transit; 06-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Which firmware do you have? I have the lastest one available. I get a "no image" message, but not a no card message.
06-12-2010, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
The K100D just shuts off if the memory card isn't in the camera.
Mine doesn't .
Latest firmware. That didn't change it.
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The K7, and I believe the K20d as well do not tell you there's no card until you take a picture (and there's no card to write it to).

Been there.. That's the reason I use the USB cable to connect the camera to the computer. If I don't take the card out, I cannot forget to put it back in.

My K20D does tell when there's no card inside, but if I don't notice then it won't stop me from shooting on empty.
06-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fixed. I found the way for it to tell me. Previously, I had the card door open. Just now, I removed the card and closed the door. Then I get the message no card in camera.

Thanks everyone for your input. And Transit, since you posted your camera photo, I could see the door wasn't open. So, that's what made me decided to take the card out and close the door. So, you get the prize for helping me see.

Now I just have to remember to close the door.

And Jeff. The reason I don't use the USB cable....plugged into the computer it drains the batteries in the camera.