Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, shooting against the sun does not help, makes things tough.
You did use a lens hood?. Because without one, it is almost hopeless to try and get contrasty images in that situation, underexposed or not. Post processing will only yield so much.
I used the 50-200 briefly, not a bad lens.

Keep shooting, nothing beats practice.

Cheers, Mike.

06-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised no one has suggested using a flash to fill-in those dark and shadowed areas when shooting against the light.

I've seen plenty of people doing it at air shows as the planes do their overhead display flights.
06-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm surprised no one has suggested using a flash to fill-in those dark and shadowed areas when shooting against the light.

I've seen plenty of people doing it at air shows as the planes do their overhead display flights.

Spotlight - sized? Can't imagine a little body flash, or even a decent hot-shoe flash would have near enough oomph to fill unless right on top of the plane.

Or beneath, I guess. On top of would mean you are a wing-walker or parachutist, probably a little busy to worry about proper lighting.
06-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #49
Pentaxian

I can't imagine what they are thinking of

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Inverse square law tells us that the effect would be ...... imperceptible. Except, of course, to the defence systems of really smart aircraft. We'll assume, for now, that they won't shoot back.

Perhaps these are people with P&S that fired the flash regardless of the situation. Ever notice the sparkles of useless flash at football games and other large public events ???? Nearly guarantees a poor exposure as the camera thinks that the flash is providing sufficient light and decides on a faster shutter speed.

06-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #50
Pentaxian

It appears a lot of you missed the smiley at the end of zawr's post.

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Perhaps these are people with P&S that fired the flash regardless of the situation. Ever notice the sparkles of useless flash at football games and other large public events ????
More and more I'm seeing people shooting dslr's in Green mode who are just as apt to do this.
06-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Inverse square law tells us that the effect would be ...... imperceptible. Except, of course, to the defence systems of really smart aircraft. We'll assume, for now, that they won't shoot back.

Perhaps these are people with P&S that fired the flash regardless of the situation. Ever notice the sparkles of useless flash at football games and other large public events ???? Nearly guarantees a poor exposure as the camera thinks that the flash is providing sufficient light and decides on a faster shutter speed.
Off topic a bit, but I've always wondered why the AF info can't be fed into the exposure calculation so that the camera knows that the subject is so distant that a flash will not be effective.
06-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Off topic a bit, but I've always wondered why the AF info can't be fed into the exposure calculation so that the camera knows that the subject is so distant that a flash will not be effective.
Nikon and Sony's flash systems both do this.
06-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Nikon and Sony's flash systems both do this.
That is interesting. Is that for point and shoot?

06-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank-x Quote
Sorry, but I don't understand this 18% gray business. Would somebody please explain?
As the picture was predominately sky, why didn't the camera expose the sky correctly leaving the a/c and ground dark?
It seems to have under-exposed the whole frame.

For all you tweakers and air-show fans, I've attached another of my dull shots for you to play with.

Have fun!
Actually that picture was pretty close to what I would expect - A deep blue sky with the clouds close to pegging the histogram.

Unfortunately your subject was lit from above and you were shooting the bottom.

Best thing for airshows is, if possible, to have the sun at your back and shoot the aircraft when they're banking towards you. I'll try to pull up some examples tonight.

My first airshow was with a 50-200. Good results on slower aircraft, not so good for catching an F-15's afterburners.
Second was with a 70-300, which was offset to a great degree by the airshow rearranging the spectator areas (farther from the runway with lots of objects blocking the view, resulting in it being impossible to capture the moment when the wheels leave the ground.)
Last one was with a Bigma (50-500) - awesome airshow lens!
06-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like he said, sun to your back or sides. Hard to get much out of your image without loosing the clouds

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
06-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That is interesting. Is that for point and shoot?
I doubt it.

And actually, I don't know that they do what you're suggesting and use it to determine when to not even bother. They do use it for calculating the amount of flash to use, though. For Sony, this is "ADI" (and dates back to Minolta, I believe). I don't actually know the details of the Nikon system but have seen this in lists of virtues of "CLS".
06-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Yup, missed the smiley. It's what I get for trying to snatch a few minutes at work for a Forum fix.

For the military history folks, I was about to suggest a Leigh light. A bit cumbersome at 24" diameter IIRC, but useful. <insert smiley here> In fact, you may see one if someone is bringing in a WWII bomber-based ASW aircraft.
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #58

Original Poster
Metz announce new Air Show Special Hyper Flash (external nuclear generator required).

Get those awkward backlit long distance shots that you couldn't get before!
Attached Images

06-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would that not be little rough on the hot-shoe?.
06-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank-x Quote
Metz announce new Air Show Special Hyper Flash (external nuclear generator required).
I want one!

Flash with telephoto can be done. I'm not sure the degree of benefit they get, but it must do something because there are plenty of people online who sell stuff like this:

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Telephoto Flash Brackets