Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #211

QuoteOriginally posted by orly_andico Quote
All 1-series Canon bodies and all L lenses are weather resistant, as well the the top-end APS-C bodies (50D, 60D, 7D). I believe Canon pioneered weather-resistant bodies and lenses (in the 1980s).

The usual combination of lenses are the 24-70/2.8L and the 70-200/2.8L IS. Both of which cost a mind-bending amount of money (and weigh a ton). A better all-in-one is the 24-105/4L IS. Canon has a very good 17-55/2.8 IS that is sharper than their 50mm prime at equal apertures.. but it's not an L so is not weatherproof.
Well my canon died just being in a damp tent. I think
canon are great cameras and I feel the same way about nikon. But for 650.. the K7 is the best buy in my opinion and it's just
my opinion. Please remember the D90 is still 700 and the 550d 750.

At the end of the day it comes down
to choice and budget.

01-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by orly_andico Quote
Do you really think a K-5 will beat the AF of a Canon 1-series?
Interesting question, and one that I hope to have the answer for when I buy a K-5.

I have been shooting with a friend's Canon 1D lately. Here's a sample photo:

And you know what - the camera just could not lock focus onto that spider - it kept going for the background. In the end, I had to use manual focus.

Interesting comment when I showed some of my action shots to a friend (birds in flight, sports, dogs running etc.) his comment was "But I have seen similar photos from you on your K10D. What's so great about the Canon?"

And I realised he was right. There was nothing the Canon could do that my K10D could not do.

Canon has a much more sophisticated focus system, yes it's way faster than the K10D, and totally silent. 10fps is fantastic, but can't beat timing a shot - if I use the K10D in 3fps mode I can usually get the same sort of pictures, just spaced further apart.

But at the end of the day, the Canon AF system isn't perfect. Locking onto the wrong subject? Yep, done that. Not able to maintain focus when the subject moves? Yep, done that. Focus hunting up and down? Yep, saw that too. And before anyone says I don't know how to use the camera, yes I do know about AI servo mode, and switching AF points and all that - my point is the camera will make errors from time to time.

On both cameras, the best way to focus is centre point, focus and then recompose. They are both perfectly good at doing that. Set to full multi point AF, and neither camera is perfect. Canon is faster, quieter and perhaps more consistently right, but not always.

So basically, meh. I'm looking forward to getting a K-5. I know it won't be perfect, but I will expect it to be better than my K10D, and honestly I didn't think the K10D was all that bad.