Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Exceptional photo, planedriver. The translucence is amazing.

06-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote

Andras
I'm not a big fan of BIF, but this, Andras, is fantastic!
06-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote

Andras
Thank you so much Andras/planedriver for posting the large sized b&w of the egret -
that really does emphasize how good the pic is.

Very impressed -
also with the 50-200mm and K-x.
06-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
This is in good light, right?

Then you might want to take this into consideration -

" The K-x’s autofocus tested well, too, with very strong performance in brighter light. At EV 12 through EV 6, it was equal to or faster than the two competitors. Though its AF was slower than the Canon and Nikon in dimmer light, it remained within 0.6 seconds of them even at its worst. "

from: Camera Test: Pentax K-x | Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips

I am really surprised that this is being ignored -
if the Pentax K-x AF is actually equal to or faster than Canon or Nikon in good light
how is switching to a Canon going to help?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 06-17-2010 at 09:49 AM.
06-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
No system is perfect. I spent last weekend shooting the Teva Mountain Games in Vail, and the other official shooter who I was working was using a 1dMkIII and 500/4L, 300/2.8L, 70-200L, 24-70L lenses. I was mostly using a k-7 and a K20d, and 16-50, 55, 50-135, 200 and 300 DA* lenses. He's got the best AF system there is right now, and I've got a Pentax. I started complaining one night (we were sharing the same condo) about the Pentax AF, and he jumped right in and started complaining about his 1D. I was surprised and said that I thought it was supposed to be the best. He said it is, but it's so fast and predictive that it frequently ends up ahead of it's subject, or just flies right by it without getting a lock on the way by. He said without learning how to work with it's finicky nature, it'll miss as many shots than any other camera, and that just because it's so fast, doesn't mean it's any easier to use. We were both shooting the same stuff, with two different flawed systems, and we were both making good shots. Neither of us were brand nazis enough to claim that our brand was better or more awesome, and we have both learned to work around our brand's problems, and we were both able to look at each other's shots, and really appreciate and enjoy them. He loved lots of my shots, and I loved lots of his. So who had the better camera? Neither of us. We both had a camera, and both had learned how to use them to make good photos.
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention something that another post about kit size reminded me of. If you look are our lenses, we have almost an identical setup, when you consider the FF equivelent of my setup. Fo course he has the roughly 1 stop DOF advantage of FF, but aside from that, same equivelent FOV's and same apertures. But my kit was less than half the size of his, and waaay less than half the weight. I was ableto carry everything I listed, but another body and 10-17 fisheye, all in my LowePro Computrekker AW backpack, and it wasn't that bad to carry. He could only fit one body, 24-70, 70-200 and either the 300 or 500 in his backpack that was slightly bigger than mine. So I was able to carry 2 more bodies and 3 more lenses than him for still slightly less size and weight. That being said, do I want a 1d and 300/2.8? Yes, I would love one...
06-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #96
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Egrets are cool. And so are your photos, Andras.

Jack
06-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #97
Inactive Account

Hello again! Today I had some time in the afternoon-evening and went out to one of the harbours to take some pictures with the 12-24 and the k200 and of course the K-x with the 55-300 was around my shoulder too. (it's a perfectly balanced combo-two shoulders two bodies) so I managed to capture some seagulls-nothing special at 300mm some cropping very dull sky. The result is nothing special however the preparations were also nothing special-iso set to 640 Hi continious shooting center point AF-as it is set all the time. Now I know somebody who has far far better bird in flight pictures-BUT he has never bothered using something less than a D3 and Nikkor 400mm or 500mm primes (start to count) moreover he sits there for hours camouflaged looking like a Navy Seal his gear resting on a not very cheap tripod.

So to leave Pentax? Well I think it's either you can afford and you are interested in that way and buy really pro gear from Nikon or Canon (for how much?)-or makes no sense at all. I went through this several times a few months ago and that is my conclusion.

K-x iso640 300mm f6.3

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 06-17-2010 at 07:27 PM.
06-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #98
Site Supporter

Why is it so many people threaten to go get a Canon. Is that trail of lemmings that enticing? Nikon. O.k. Oly, cool, Leica, great. Canon however should change their ad slogan to: "Don't be Different, Be the Same."

06-17-2010, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

No system is perfect. I spent last weekend shooting the Teva Mountain Games in Vail, and the other official shooter who I was working was using a 1dMkIII and 500/4L, 300/2.8L, 70-200L, 24-70L lenses. I was mostly using a k-7 and a K20d, and 16-50, 55, 50-135, 200 and 300 DA* lenses. He's got the best AF system there is right now, and I've got a Pentax. I started complaining one night (we were sharing the same condo) about the Pentax AF, and he jumped right in and started complaining about his 1D. I was surprised and said that I thought it was supposed to be the best. He said it is, but it's so fast and predictive that it frequently ends up ahead of it's subject, or just flies right by it without getting a lock on the way by. He said without learning how to work with it's finicky nature, it'll miss as many shots than any other camera, and that just because it's so fast, doesn't mean it's any easier to use.
This is very interesting - however:

from: Camera Test: Canon EOS 1D Mark III | Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips (at the bottom of the page):

" In the lab tests, autofocus was Extremely Fast in bright light (EV 12-EV 6) at :33-:40 sec. In moderately low to low light (EV 4-EV1) it was Extremely Fast to Very Fast (:41-:55). At seriously low light (EV 0- EV -2), it slowed down but still manages to find focus when many other DSLRs give up (:96-1:20.) "

and from: - Page 2 | Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips -
the test panel toward the bottom of the page:

Taking the same bright light range (EV 12 - EV 6) which is the issue at hand - the Pentax K-7 does 0.29-0.48 sec which is in the same ballpark and is actually faster at the brightest light level. Even the K-x fairs well against the reputed fastest AF - for the range of EV12 - EV6 it is 0.31-0.49 sec

We keep hearing that Canon and Nikon AF are faster (they are at low light levels) but at good light levels the Pentax range are as fast and sometimes faster -
perhaps as hinted - it's more to do with the person behind the camera
than the camera's AF itself -
otherwise how did anybody ever take action photos with manually focused lenses -
and there are tons of great and even classic photos BEFORE AF.
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Why is it so many people threaten to go get a Canon. Is that trail of lemmings that enticing? Nikon. O.k. Oly, cool, Leica, great. Canon however should change their ad slogan to: "Don't be Different, Be the Same."
I wonder why folks post a threat like this in the first place. The most sensible explanation is that it's just general bitching which is legitimate. Pentax isn't blessed and sacred. Some folks respond to negative Pentax posts as if they were. Or perhaps there are hopes some Pentax executive or marketing director will read and forward a thread along as an imminent danger that needs to be addressed. This is unlikely unless thousands of posters echoed the same sentiments accompanied by a proliferation of Pentax gear on the used market and a retraction of sales.

But seriously, threaten to buy a Canon? Go ahead and buy a Canon. If you're unsatisfied as a consumer and have the means then make yourself happy. I would if I were - and I wouldn't expect anyone in this forum to care if I did.
06-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #101
Pentaxian

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention something that another post about kit size reminded me of. If you look are our lenses, we have almost an identical setup, when you consider the FF equivelent of my setup. Fo course he has the roughly 1 stop DOF advantage of FF, but aside from that, same equivelent FOV's and same apertures. But my kit was less than half the size of his, and waaay less than half the weight. I was ableto carry everything I listed, but another body and 10-17 fisheye, all in my LowePro Computrekker AW backpack, and it wasn't that bad to carry. He could only fit one body, 24-70, 70-200 and either the 300 or 500 in his backpack that was slightly bigger than mine. So I was able to carry 2 more bodies and 3 more lenses than him for still slightly less size and weight. That being said, do I want a 1d and 300/2.8? Yes, I would love one...
+1, size was a big factor in me switching from Nikon to Pentax because I'm often carrying the camera bag slung over my shoulder on a motorcycle for hours on end.

TBH, I didn't do my homework about Pentax AF before making the switch and have lost some shots with the K20d. I'm deep into Pentax glass now though, and hope that the AF improves significantly in the next year.
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #102
Veteran Member

If the new Pentax is a FF i donīt care about the AF, the current AF is ok for me.
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
> UnknownVT

It's not the speed of autofocus that is the problem, it's the camera's insistence of usually cycling up and down through the entire focus range of the 55-300 before being able to take the first photo that is so frustrating.
06-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
> UnknownVT

It's not the speed of autofocus that is the problem, it's the camera's insistence of usually cycling up and down through the entire focus range of the 55-300 before being able to take the first photo that is so frustrating.
On a flat, blank surface which has less contrast, the focus sensor always tries to find something to focus but can't find one, that's why it keeps cycling through the whole range . You may want to focus at a spot which has more contrast . You try it and see if it solves your problem .
06-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
> UnknownVT

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
On a flat, blank surface which has less contrast, the focus sensor always tries to find something to focus but can't find one, that's why it keeps cycling through the whole range . You may want to focus at a spot which has more contrast . You try it and see if it solves your problem .
Thank you Ken T for answering the question.

The point it if the camera cannot focus then the AF speed time would have been infinity or some very long time - neither the K-7 or K-x tested out that way.

I would be quite confident that any dSLR including Canon and Nikon
under the same conditions
would behave the same way with any lens.

If there is nothing or very little detail to focus on - then the camera/lens would hunt - in the way described.