Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
IBut at 1600 it is very acceptiable. I have seen some canon pro bodys with 3200 coming out of the camera just beautiful.
Download a copy of Lightroom 3 or Noiseware and try them?
Pentax doesn't run much NR by default...

06-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #47
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
That doesn't mean I'll drop Pentax, but I'll choose the horse for the course.

Having young children, the horse will often be the Canon for the forseeable future tho...

Hmph.
Are your kids Olympiad runners?

Come on--get with the program:

Kids are the easiest things in the world to shoot, and if you can't do it with a Pentax DSLR, you can't do it with anything.
06-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I'd just like to mention that it takes a lot of effort to figure out the pentax AF system. I use center focus a lot because I don't have to think about AF points. However, even that is not foolproof. I was at a wine event and was taking pictures of the wine pourers and even though the carafes had plenty of contrast I was still getting pictures with the areas inside of the server's arms in focus (meaning, the background behind the server).

If there was a way for the camera to actually measure the distance that might help more than just contrast detection.

The selectable points on the AF grid has helped me a lot, though. If you use the top/bottom points you can flip the camera over to switch them instead of using the menu. That saves some time. I haven't resorted to inverted shooting, though.

Here's an example of how I failed to use autofocus properly:

I can't be changing focus zones all the time, but I'd like the camera to ignore those chairs in the background.
unfortunately pentax has not yet developed the mind read.exe function so that it can ignore exactly what you point the focus detector at.

you got what you aimed at
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #49
Nubi

Even if Pentax greatly improves AF on the next body, I am not going to buy it. In fact, I am not going to buy anything. Nothing at all. Not even lenses. Especially lenses. I am going to have my wife change the password on my ebay account. I am cutting up my credit cards (maybe).

No more buying.

06-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Even if Pentax greatly improves AF on the next body, I am not going to buy it. In fact, I am not going to buy anything. Nothing at all. Not even lenses. Especially lenses. I am going to have my wife change the password on my ebay account. I am cutting up my credit cards (maybe).

No more buying.
Hahahahahaha!!!
06-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
unfortunately pentax has not yet developed the mind read.exe function so that it can ignore exactly what you point the focus detector at.
Why can't they can't fix that in the next firmware update? It's obviously a capitalistic plot by Hoya to squeeze Pentax owners dry before selling the company to Casio! I'm so mad I'm going to start a survey!

Tongue, in cheek....
06-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I'd just like to mention that it takes a lot of effort to figure out the pentax AF system. I use center focus a lot because I don't have to think about AF points. However, even that is not foolproof. I was at a wine event and was taking pictures of the wine pourers and even though the carafes had plenty of contrast I was still getting pictures with the areas inside of the server's arms in focus (meaning, the background behind the server).

If there was a way for the camera to actually measure the distance that might help more than just contrast detection.

The selectable points on the AF grid has helped me a lot, though. If you use the top/bottom points you can flip the camera over to switch them instead of using the menu. That saves some time. I haven't resorted to inverted shooting, though.

Here's an example of how I failed to use autofocus properly:

I can't be changing focus zones all the time, but I'd like the camera to ignore those chairs in the background.
I do use the Center Focus Point most of the time, except when doing BIF with less busy background I use Multi Point . I don't know about you but what I see is wherever I focus on, and when the AF locks on it, it is there; and when the shot doesn't come out right, I know that because of me .

These pictures I took at a parade with the DA55-300 and AF-S

With same DA55-300 and AF-S

06-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Are your kids Olympiad runners?

Come on--get with the program:

Kids are the easiest things in the world to shoot, and if you can't do it with a Pentax DSLR, you can't do it with anything.

My two year old would challenge this flawed notion. I wish I would have video taped last weekend's studio session I did in prep for his upcoming birthday.

He might be no Olympian, but he's well on his way to earning his mercurial ankle wings.
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Are you using a focus screen; and if so, which one?
Certainly am, the stock Pentax K7 one

I just listen for the "beep" when the camera thinks I have focus, and make minor adjustments.
06-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote

No more buying.
You'll just open up a new eBay account with the next pre-approved CC offer you get. Just make sure the seller accepts bidders with zero feedback. LOL.
06-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I do use the Center Focus Point most of the time, except when doing BIF with less busy background I use Multi Point . I don't know about you but what I see is wherever I focus on, and when the AF locks on it, it is there; and when the shot doesn't come out right, I know that because of me .
I use multi point, too, but I find that it jumps around from point to point and I don't know which point is going to be next. I might as well be focusing manually.
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
That doesn't mean I'll drop Pentax, but I'll choose the horse for the course.
Having young children, the horse will often be the Canon for the forseeable future tho...
Try K-7 and wait for next camera with SAFOX-9
AF IS really improved. It can event track moving objects with AF-C.
06-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I use multi point, too, but I find that it jumps around from point to point and I don't know which point is going to be next. I might as well be focusing manually.
What I found with my K20D is it's best to use Center Focus Point, and AF-S with rapidly tapping on the shutter button to get the camera focuses faster, or more accurate at the point I want to focus on .
You may notice that you see the subject be sharper through the view finder when it is in focus .

This pic I also used Center Focus Point with AF-S . I followed the bee (it was slow though) and kept tapping on the shutter button until I got the bee in focus then my finger went all the way down to shoot.

As you look at the picture, with all the leaves and flowers, there was no way for the camera to know what I wanted to focus on, if I used Multi Point .

Well, Dragonfly, don't be disappointed in Pentax AF, once you work it out and you'll like it .

Happy shooting .

Best regards Dragonfly

Ken
06-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Why can't they can't fix that in the next firmware update? It's obviously a capitalistic plot by Hoya to squeeze Pentax owners dry before selling the company to Casio! I'm so mad I'm going to start a survey!

Tongue, in cheek....
as opposed to most posters in this forum, and most survey starters, who suffer from foot in mouth

Actually the real issue is that things such as focus based upon scene selection (face recignition is the best example) is something that can only be automated with the sensor being powered 100% of the time, like a P&S.

In fact I think that is where most people who complain about functions like this belong, because clearly they don't understand for the most part what they are doing
06-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
as opposed to most posters in this forum, and most survey starters, who suffer from foot in mouth

Actually the real issue is that things such as focus based upon scene selection (face recignition is the best example) is something that can only be automated with the sensor being powered 100% of the time, like a P&S.

In fact I think that is where most people who complain about functions like this belong, because clearly they don't understand for the most part what they are doing
The mistake people (including me) sometimes make is thinking that auto focus on an SLR relieves you of the need to pay attention to focus in the viewfinder. SLR AF is what it is.

I will say that my complaint about autofocus is not that the camera does not read my mind or provide face recognition, but that the indicators showing the point of focus are either imprecise or completely absent, depending upon the body.