Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #196
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by orly_andico Quote
I couldn't afford to blow $1400 on a K5 to see how good the AF is. Even if the K5 is "perfect" I guess too many people aren't willing to put their money down (those of us who "grew up" on the older Pentax DSLR's where the AF is slow).
Well, it seems that you do not have too. According to other users reports, in natural light K-r AF is the same like K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
a) wait for Pentax to manufacture those lenses, maybe a long time
I am wondering why Pentax does not try to introduce real ring motor in their lenses. Correct me if I am wrong, but this technology was introduced by Canon in 1987! It is more than 20 years ago... Current SDM solution is really poor and from my point of view it was a mistake - it has only one advantage (silent focusing). Pentax just spent a lot of money on something that is (amost) useless...

Even Sigma makes faster (in terms of AF) lenses than Pentax (like old screw-driven 100-300 f/4 or new hsm 24-70 f/2.8).

Generally this is one of two only issues in Pentax system. Second one, somewhat related to the other is lack of fast (in terms of aperture and AF) super-telephoto lenses (like Canon 100-400 L, 400mm, 500mm). For action (rallies, races, air shows, sports etc.) or wildlife shooters it would be nice addition to lens lineup (I know, I can switch to Canon, but I do not want to because of other Pentax features) Besides these issues, Pentax is just PERFECT

01-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #197
Forum Member

Canon introduced ring USM in 1987.. and then protected it with a whole passel of patents.

Canon is the #2 most prolific filer of patents in the US, second only to IBM and way ahead of such giants as HP, Google, Microsoft, Oracle...

The reason it took Nikon so long to match USM performance (with AF-S Silent Wave lenses) is because they had to work around all the Canon patents (or cross-license with Canon). Everybody else has either had to do that, or make do with crap technology.

People tend to forget that Canon is a huge, technological powerhouse that only dabbles in cameras -- for example, the pioneering HP LaserJet, the first laser printer under $5000, back in the early 1980's, was actually a rebadged Canon. This is why Canon has produced the best sensors, the best ring-drive USM (they did a lot of the original research into piezo rotational transducers, which is what ring-drive is).

This is also why Canon cameras have interfaces designed for people with four thumbs..! it's an engineer-driven company, not a photography-driven company.
01-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #198
Veteran Member

People tend to forget that Canon is a huge, technological powerhouse that only dabbles in cameras --
That may be, but in a thread on dpr, Pentax SLRs, it was reported that Canon lost market share in 2010 Japan SLRs in double digits, Nikon in single digits, and all the other makes had percent gains, if my memory serves. Temporary problem or trouble in Paradise?

It isn't just Canon, but many large powershouse corporations run into problems: General Motors, Toyota, BP, IBM, Enron, Thomas Edison's DC power company thought they had a monopoly on electrical power, till Edison fired Tesla, who got even by inventing AC power. Arrogance doesn't always pay off, i guess :-)
01-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #199
gtl
Veteran Member

Pentax has the new DC motor lens in the 18-135mm WR. It is fast and silent. Though its too new to tell how reliable it is. Mine works flawlessly for now though.

01-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #200
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
That may be, but in a thread on dpr, Pentax SLRs, it was reported that Canon lost market share in 2010 Japan SLRs in double digits, Nikon in single digits, and all the other makes had percent gains, if my memory serves. Temporary problem or trouble in Paradise?

It isn't just Canon, but many large powershouse corporations run into problems: General Motors, Toyota, BP, IBM, Enron, Thomas Edison's DC power company thought they had a monopoly on electrical power, till Edison fired Tesla, who got even by inventing AC power. Arrogance doesn't always pay off, i guess :-)
well my point was that cameras, DSLR's in particular, make up only a small part of Canon's market. Like HP, they do a lot of business in printers and office equipment.

In fact, prior to Mark Hurd joining HP and beefing up their services revenue, HP's main source of revenue was printer ink..

but I digress.
01-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey haven't all you whiners switched to Canon yet, I thought everyone would just leave and the thread would die. Oh ya, now I remember, the OP is going to keep a Pentax, probably just so he can come back here and keep complaining.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax has the new DC motor lens in the 18-135mm WR. It is fast and silent.
Yes, that 18-135 DC is an amazing lens. I always suspected that Hoya, being a lens manufacturer was going to come out with some good glass. I'm guesssing the 60-250 is pretty good as well. Both have really useable focal lengths, capable of being left on the camera. When you're outdoors like I am, water and dust seals and being able to cover 18-250 with good glass, on two bodies without changing lenses is priceless. Basically, as long as I don't take my lenses off the camera opening the interior to weather or dust, I'm good. I take it on walks through the snow covered trees in the bush, out of the case, and it produces amazing results hand held. If I take the 60-250 and the wife takes the 18-135, we'll have 99% of what we want to shoot covered. Does Canon make an WR bodies and lenses?
01-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #202
Forum Member

All 1-series Canon bodies and all L lenses are weather resistant, as well the the top-end APS-C bodies (50D, 60D, 7D). I believe Canon pioneered weather-resistant bodies and lenses (in the 1980s).

The usual combination of lenses are the 24-70/2.8L and the 70-200/2.8L IS. Both of which cost a mind-bending amount of money (and weigh a ton). A better all-in-one is the 24-105/4L IS. Canon has a very good 17-55/2.8 IS that is sharper than their 50mm prime at equal apertures.. but it's not an L so is not weatherproof.

01-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #203
Pentaxian

I believe Canon pioneered weather-resistant bodies and lenses (in the 1980s).
Really? Which Canon cameras/lenses would that have been? The Pentax LX was considered unique during it's day (beginning in 1980) for having seals around all the major entry points.
01-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Orly... long time. Living up to being the "RiceHigh of the Philippines" eh? Not that it's a bad thing. Makes for good discussions actually...
01-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #205
Forum Member

sometimes i wonder why i bother to post in these threads... i'm happy with my pentax but i'm not blind to its many faults.. but it seems there are always folks who find validation in believing that their choices are unassailable.
01-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #206
Pentaxian

Canon waterproof lenses... oh really?

Weather-Sealed DSLR Camera Comparison | Neocamera

Table 1 - Model Prices
Brand Camera Recent Street Price
Canon EOS 7D 1699 USD 1949 CDN
Nikon D300S 1499 USD 1549 CDN
Olympus E-3 1060 USD 1488 CDN
Pentax K-7 1050 USD 1469 CDN
Pentax K20D 799 USD 875 CDN
Pentax K200D 599 USD 514 CDN

QuoteQuote:
Among these, there is no truly wrong camera. Any choice is capable of producing excellent photographs for all types of photographic subjects. Therefore, if one simply chooses the least expensive one, it would be certainly a wise choice. No need to read so many reviews, time is saved and money is saved. The money saved can be spent on better lenses. A simple choice with simple benefits.
I look at that and I think, I guess for some people Canon is a choice. My advice would be get the k20D and one of those excellent DA 60-250 zooms. I'm not seeing how Canon is even a choice, unless you really like contributing to those ads that tell you you did the right thing. How does one justify getting the Canon?
01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Weather-Sealed DSLR Camera Comparison | Neocamera

Table 1 - Model Prices
Brand Camera Recent Street Price
Canon EOS 7D 1699 USD 1949 CDN
Nikon D300S 1499 USD 1549 CDN
Olympus E-3 1060 USD 1488 CDN
Pentax K-7 1050 USD 1469 CDN
Pentax K20D 799 USD 875 CDN
Pentax K200D 599 USD 514 CDN

I look at that and I think, I guess for some people Canon is a choice. My advice would be get the k20D and one of those excellent DA 60-250 zooms. I'm not seeing how Canon is even a choice, unless you really like contributing to those ads that tell you you did the right thing. How does one justify getting the Canon?
The K-5 costs the same as the 7D, it all comes down to who makes the lenses you want to use. IMO
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #208
Veteran Member

All 1-series Canon bodies and all L lenses are weather resistant, as well the the top-end APS-C bodies (50D, 60D, 7D). I believe Canon pioneered weather-resistant bodies and lenses (in the 1980s).

The usual combination of lenses are the 24-70/2.8L and the 70-200/2.8L IS. Both of which cost a mind-bending amount of money (and weigh a ton). A better all-in-one is the 24-105/4L IS. Canon has a very good 17-55/2.8 IS that is sharper than their 50mm prime at equal apertures.. but it's not an L so is not weatherproof.
A lot of people believe that all "L" lenses are weather-sealed, but that's actually not true. Here's a list:
List of weather sealed lenses | Canon 5D tips
For instance, the 70-200mm f/4 and f/2.8 lenses without IS are absent from the list. The 24-105mm you mention has some protection, but is not fully weather sealed.
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey haven't all you whiners switched to Canon yet, I thought everyone would just leave and the thread would die. Oh ya, now I remember, the OP is going to keep a Pentax, probably just so he can come back here and keep complaining.
Perhaps for some people it takes time to save up their money before a switch, we can't all afford to go out and replace our gear in a hurry.
01-30-2011, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #210
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Who cares about bodies, I wanted lenses on par with Canons USM IS. Pentax is a real let down.
Letdown? Is that why you asked a seller in the Marketplace, just today, how much he would sell his K7 and 16-45 for?