Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Forgot to format new card - can I save my pictures?

I popped a new card in my K10 on vacation, and have some great pictures on the card, in the camera.

Is there any way to transfer them off the card, since I forgot to format the cared before I used it?

06-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Why not just upload them onto a hard drive, DVD, or however you normally upload them. If you can see the photos on the "review" on the camera, chances are there is nothing to be concerned about.

Jason
06-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most cards come already formatted to accept images. Harddrives don't come formatted, but cards do. I have never formatted any of my cards before using it new.

HTH
06-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
I tried to transfer/download to my pc using Pentax software and it says drive:/G doesn't have data, I tried plugging the card into my printer that will usually transfer photos, and it says card error.

06-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As said cards usually come pre-formatted and if it wasn't your camera would not be able to write picture to it. The formate they use is VFAT and is readable by most any personal computer on the market running any major OS. So that should not be the problem.

I'd try restarting your computer, put the card in your reader and check to see if it mounts as a readable volume. You don't need the any software other than your OS to move the files, just to view and/or edit them. If you can still view them on your camera and see the card mount to your computer you should be able to pull the photos off. The will be in a subfolder of the root-level folder named DCIM. If none of that works check the card to make sure there isn't any physical damage or that the contacts are dirty.
06-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok - here is a weird one - I tried Pentax to download, the HP printer card reader and Adobe Photoshop quick transfer - nothing.

HP Photo Essentials worked just perfect.

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.

TK
06-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

SD or SDHC?

Is the memory card an SD (2GB or less) or SDHC (4GB or more)?

It may be that your PC's card reader is only capable of reading the smaller SD cards. If your reader is not SDHC compatible, you are going to have problems, no matter where the card is formatted.
06-13-2010, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by T K Hull Quote
I popped a new card in my K10 on vacation, and have some great pictures on the card, in the camera.

Is there any way to transfer them off the card, since I forgot to format the cared before I used it?
I notice that no-one has yet suggested that you use the USB cable supplied with your camera can be used to download cards. Many of us prefer to use card readers to save battery life, but that is the only reason I know of to avoid the practice. If your camera can see the pictures, it can send them directly to the computer.