Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
So you prefer a utopian-style forum with no individual thought or opinions leading to conflict or disagreements. A place where you agree with him and he agrees with you, and anyone thinking something else need not apply. A forum where moderators shelve threads at the whim of individual members - this thread you don't like and that thread someone else doesn't like. Well, you certainly have a right to those preferences, but it doesn't sound that great to me.

stewart
Very well put Stewart!

08-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Forum Disagreements

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
Very well put Stewart!

Well, thank you, Ryan. However, I wasn't really seeking accolades. Instead, I was trying to point out that it's perfectly normal for adults to disagree occasionally, while overreacting to it isn't. Most disagreements in this forum are very short-lived, usually a handful of people exchanging a few messages over a period of a day or two. Personal insults are extremely rare and those participating usually end the disagreements on their own in fairly short order. In other words, these incidents rarely ever qualify as a flame war...

flame war (noun) - When two or more people
exchange insults in public messaging, sometimes
to disrupt the normal flow of messages.

I think "Mo" is doing an excellent job of moderating this forum. While I'm sure he'd rather see no disputes, he seems to understand they'll happen occasionally. As such, he usually says nothing unless they get out of hand or drag on. Even then, his typical approach is a gentle nudge rather than overkill. He also seems determined not to force his viewpoints on the whole of this forum, which alone is worthy of high praise. Regardless, since "Mo" is doing this job just fine, he really doesn't need the help of self-appointed moderators, most usually engaged in Thought Policing (wanting messages or threads not agreeing with their own viewpoints deleted or closed).

stewart
08-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
...........I think "Mo" is doing an excellent job of moderating this forum. While I'm sure he'd rather see no disputes, he seems to understand they'll happen occasionally. As such, he usually says nothing unless they get out of hand or drag on. Even then, his typical approach is a gentle nudge rather than overkill. He also seems determined not to force his viewpoints on the whole of this forum, which alone is worthy of high praise. Regardless, since "Mo" is doing this job just fine, he really doesn't need the help of self-appointed moderators, most usually engaged in Thought Policing (wanting messages or threads not agreeing with their own viewpoints deleted or closed)..................stewart
My Goodness; something that I can actually agree with!
08-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it looks neat, unfortunately I don't have the money for a standard K10D, let alone the grand prix edition - but one of these days -

have fun with it!

-Dan

08-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #50
Inactive Account

i duno, for 100 bucks more you get one of ten, if my wallet was heavily padded i would have probably gone for it... i dont think id store it away and not use it though, id definitely store the box and all accessories, bags twist ties ect so id have everything if i ever sold it for profit... I think it would be a neat conversation piece while out shooting with others, i seriously think i might paint mine though like i mentioned earlier, and if anyone asks i can bring up this thread haha, another conversation piece camera.... plus i really think blue letters would look flashy haha
08-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #51
Inactive Account

I've decided to spray mine all-over with luminous paint so that it 'glows-in-the-dark', ensuring that N****n & C****n owners will be able to see it in pitch blackness !! Will that void the warranty though ?

Yours 'glowingly'
Richard
08-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I've decided to spray mine all-over with luminous paint so that it 'glows-in-the-dark', ensuring that N****n & C****n owners will be able to see it in pitch blackness !! Will that void the warranty though ?

Yours 'glowingly'
Richard
might affect your shots if it glows too brightly in low light conditions :/

08-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #53
PDL
Pentaxian

I think Mo has a unique machine on his hands, but I wonder if anything else was changed other than real leather and gold letters. I would like to belive that Mo will use the camera - and show the results here. I bet if he just keeps it in the box and it lies there for x years - when he takes it out and tries to get it to work - it just might freeze up.

I do not necessarily agree with the idea of manufactures making "special" editions of their products - just for collectors. I would expect something just a little out of the ordinary for the extra money, like a set of signatures of the people who did QA on the device - or the chief K10D engineer - something to punch it up.

I too have some very used die-cast models. They are airplanes that I bought for my son. We had been watching the Antique Roadshow and he wanted to keep all the little parts and boxes. Well I nixed that - they were to play with not an investment. Then when he got into the age where he did not "play" with toys anymore he wanted to throw them away - nixed that too. I told him to keep it for his kids (or for me when I go bonkers) and he can put them in my semi-trailer toy I got when I was 5. Now if I had just kept the cast iron MG and my Japanese made recyled beer can Edsel station wagon - oh and my 59 Ford Galaxy hard top (rubber wheels and friction motors). D*am I am old.

Edit:
In my opinion investments that grow are land, houses, stocks, bonds, art etc. Not cameras, computers, cars or other "disposable things". As for cars - you should see the looks my wife gets when she goes down to the feed supply store and puts 50 lb bags of horse sh*t in the trunk of her Jaguar - now that is funny.

PDL

Last edited by PDL; 08-15-2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: add analogy
08-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #54
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
Personally i don't mind some heated discussion, but this thread has become a pathetic argument between two sides who clearly aren't going to agree. I don't think it is the place of the forum administrator to terminate threads such as this - but perhaps we could go back to comments on Mo's shiny new camera?
I'm myself disappointed with the amount of pointless arguing in this thread- I thought I'd share something special, so let's all just get back to the original topic. In order to keep this forum as friendly and as welcoming as possible, if you don't have anything kind or thoughtful to post here, please don't post at all. I could truncate the thread, but I think there's no reason to do so at this point.

Anyway...

The Grand Prix K10D has one more thing to it: pre-installed 1.3 firmware, meaning it can make use of the SDM technology without any further upgrades. Other than that, I don't think it has anything to itself that could improve the images it produces. Nevertheless, I think you've tempted me to go out and shoot with it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #55
Inactive Account

Mo,

In ALL SINCERITY, if I'd even had the slightest inkling how much 'unintentional invective' my original message would have caused, I'd have never ventured out from my 'underground nuclear bomb-proof' shelter in the first place !! All I was striving to do was to put forward an alternative point of view and I am hoping that you have sufficient insight to realise that not once was I attempting to directly have a 'pop' at you or your new purchase. If you read what I actually wrote, this should be patently obvious !
QuoteQuote:
I was not personally attacking Mo's purchasing decision but sought to express a different opinion.
Please TRUST ME IMPLICITLY on this statement. I have borrowed a quote from "stewart_photo" where he says:

QuoteQuote:
A place where you agree with him and he agrees with you, and anyone thinking something else need not apply.
It seems that dissent 'will not be tolerated' because the 'thought-police' are currently working flat-out, so I look forward to receiving my official 'Frontal-lobotomy' operation when a bed becomes available at my local NHS Hospital !!
If you were offended in 'any' way by what I had to say, I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY, O.K.
Case officially closed.

With kindest regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-15-2007 at 06:24 AM.
08-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
(snip) I'd have never ventured out from my 'underground nuclear bomb-proof' shelter in the first place !! (snip)

Based on this, it appears your secret underground nuclear bomb-proof shelter/bunker may not be that secure of a hiding place for you either.

Attachment 4370

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-09-2008 at 08:16 AM.
08-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #57
Inactive Account

In reply to "stewart_photo"

This is actually quite creepy ! Which Department of MI 5 do you really work for and why are you constantly following me around in your customised Ford Focus XRi ? I've heard of ' Essex Girls', but this is totally ridiculous and whilst you're at it, kindly remove those white ankle-socks - IMO they don't suit you ! There, that's all my Essex prejudices out of the way in one-fell-swoop.
I feel so much better now Doctor, so same time next week....yes, I'll look forward to it.....oh and the cheque's in the post, alright. Tatty-bye.........now where-on-earth did I put my Mogadon tablets ?

Kindest regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-15-2007 at 10:43 AM.
08-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #58

I saw this thread, and figured I'd show you what my K10D lettering looks like. Actually for more than 30 years I've been blacking out the lettering on my cameras to avoid unwanted attention due to the marquee in question.
Attached Images