Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #31
Inactive Account

i think confused like me

08-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #32
Inactive Account

In reply to "jeffkrol"

I knew this might end up like opening a 'can of worms' so I'll bear in mind this is primarily a photographic forum and try to keep this brief and to the point:

QuoteQuote:
"public support" of your monarchy
Well until there is a full-blown referendum on the subject or a 'French-style' revolution, I can't see the 'status-quo' changing in the foreseeable future ! Since the present government seem unwilling to trust the general populace by giving them an opportunity of voting whether or not Britain should adopt the very same Maastricht Treaty that Denmark and the Netherlands comprehensively kicked-into-touch (because the politicians are so scared-stiff of receiving the 'thumbs-down') it seems that we shall continue to be treated no better than 'errant children' rather than grown adults with half-a-brain-cell between us ! And always remember that we Brits are 'subjects' and not 'citizen's', so no written constitution or Bill of Rights over here yet......

And in reply to "BDavis":

QuoteQuote:
You've made quite a show of looking down your nose at a pretty cool guy in Arizona who collects Pentax equipment as a hobby.
I can categorically assure you that I'm not 'looking down my nose' at anyone. As I made it abundantly clear previously, such purchases are a matter of personal choice and my approval or otherwise is really of no consequence whatsoever. My central premise is that what one individual regards as perceived value is what another one sees as a cynical badge-engineering excercise ! Ying and yang !!

QuoteQuote:
You are incredibly insulting when you compare Adam to "the polluting Evil"
Wow, where on earth did that 'pile of garbage' emanate from ? Your words, not mine I'm afraid ! Nowhere have I ever mentioned anything along the lines of "polluting Evil". Perhaps you should look towards the insatiable addiction of domestic American consumers for purchasing vast quantities of 'gas-guzzling' V-8 engined 4x4's before casting aspertions on the other side of the pond !! Having said all that I have many life-long friends in America and have never had a cross word between us !
As far as my own 'carbon footprint' is concerned, I haven't flown anywhere for many years despite the prevalence of cheap flights within the EEC. I drive maybe once a week, walk whenever possible and re-cycle all our waste, so I am doing my little bit for the planet without coming over like a tree-hugging hair-shirted liberal.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-13-2007 at 06:06 PM.
08-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about we let Mo enjoy his new camera without anyone raining on his parade eh?
08-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
How about we let Mo enjoy his new camera without anyone raining on his parade eh?
Agreed!!! Mo have fun with your new toy!!

08-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I couldn't agree more! The grand prix version is attractive and if I had been intending on getting a K10d when it was announced, I would no doubt have purchased the grand prix version. But i would not buy it as an additional camera if i didnt NEED it. And I certainly wouldn't get it and not use it!

And to the environmentalists: i'm the first to shake my head at americans and their huge cars, but if it concerns you so much that Mo got a new camera, turn your computer off now and stop wasting electricity! And recycle every bit of it so you'll never have to waste electricity again!
08-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
(snip) On the one hand at this very moment there are literally millions of starving human beings on the surface of this planet who have never experienced clean water supplies and who die unnecessarily as a direct result of consuming polluted substances. And then on the other hand there are those individuals who seem to derive enormous amounts of pleasure from hoarding away 'limited edition' cameras in the hope that somewhere down the road this equipment will increase exponentially in value. (snip)

Good grief. We've jumped from a guy buying a camera with gold-colored lettering (paint, not real gold) to starving millions. Do you measure everything by this standard? If so, I don't see how you were able to justify your camera or your computer. You certainly don't need them as much as those starving millions need food. Heck, using that standard, I'd have to deprive myself of virtually everything I own.

However, and I realize this may shock your sensibilities, I don't have any guilt over the world I live in. I worked for what I own. My ancestors and their like spent thousands of years building the society and common wealth I now enjoy. What were the predecessors of all those starving millions doing during all that? It's bloody obvious they weren't doing the same. As far back as I can remember, the developed nations around the world (including my USA and your UK) have sent massive aid to those poor countries, including financial aid, huge food shipments, medical personnel and supplies, farm equipment, power generating equipment, factory machinery, and so much more. We've also sent thousands to educate children, teach skills (farming, construction, manufacturing, etc), install power generating systems, build water irrigation systems for farms, and so on. What has all that accomplished? Apparently nothing. Those nations are as poor today as I remember them from my childhood. At some point, we have to admit the real problem rests with the people there, not outside factors.

Regardless, all this has ventured well outside the realm of photography, much less DSLR discussion. As such, I think it's best to drop the whole topic. You've had your say and I've had mine, so lets move on. If you chose not to let it go, you'll have to continue on without my participation.

stewart
08-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
And then on the other hand there are those individuals who seem to derive enormous amounts of pleasure from hoarding away 'limited edition' cameras in the hope that somewhere down the road this equipment will increase exponentially in value. What the hell is the point of owning something only to keep it boxed-up for years on end. Sad, very sad indeed.
It's his money, he can do what he wants with it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong. It's ignorant people like you that don't allow people to enjoy their hobbies. I collect diecast cars. They sit on a shelf to be displayed because that's what I like. You don't like it? Too bad.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Agreed!!! Mo have fun with your new toy!!
I agree! Some people live to make others miserable (see the poster I quoted above this).

08-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I Vote to Close This Thread

Mo . .
I almost bought one the special edition bodies . . . changed my mind because I decided I would rather buy a "regular" K10D as a backup and have a few bucks left over to support my LBA . . .

I made my choice, you made yours . . . hope you enjoy it!!!

Paul
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
James Dean 1931 - 1955
08-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #39
Inactive Account

In reply to "Pixelpruner"

QuoteQuote:
I certainly wouldn't get it and not use it!
I admire your 'sentiments' entirely and agree that the two of us appear to be thinking more-or-less along the same lines regarding this subject, whilst others clearly believe otherwise !

Secondly in reply to "mopar_man"

QuoteQuote:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.
Yet again, please don't put words in my mouth, but read what I actually said. Nowhere have I ever stated it was "wrong". I simply mentioned that like a few others on this post I could see no "intrinsic value" in purchasing such an item and paying an additional premium 'over-and-above' the cost of a standard body. It's akin to buying a new car, where one person will just require the 'basic' version, whereas another will tick all the 'optional extra' boxes. I was not personally attacking Mo's purchasing decision but sought to express a different opinion. If one cannot do so without being so charmingly referred to as a 'prat' or 'ignorant' then I find the whole premise of this forum to be less than I first imagined.

And finally in reply to "Mo"

In all sincerity I genuinely hope that you derive many thousands of hours enjoyment from actually using your new camera, so simply promise us all that your 'special edition' K10D will not be:
QuoteQuote:
staying on the shelf, boxed, along with all my other lenses.
IMHO that would be a terrible waste of a brilliant piece of modern technology. As an aside, my wife and I took a very dear friend of ours down to Goodwood House in West Sussex yesterday to view the two famous paintings by Canaletto and to our delight there was a massive display of 'classic cars' on public display in the grounds directly in front of the main building. The weather was beautiful, but what surprised me slightly was how many other photographers were proudly sporting K10D DSLR's around their necks !! My wife identified at least five other people who were using this camera (initially by the red Pentax 'logo' on their straps) and each owner seemed quite amenable and willing to chat about their new purchase. I didn't hear one complaint amongst them, which surely augers well for Pentax's future.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-12-2007 at 09:27 PM.
08-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the white lettering like said, Gold is okay, Silver or Platinum would have been best IMO. Knowing you own one of 5000 is well, 1 of 5000. 1 out of 10 gives it more appeal if it were to ever have a resale value. I'm not impressed with the K10D enough due to the low light issues to want to collect it; were they able to fix that yet or simply pursue a future model. I bought my K100D for that alone. If I needed a 10MP camera I probably would have went with a different company but the K10D grip kept me coming back although Sony was second in line.

My view on it, all these things are man made; more could have been produced - they've only given the impression that it should be collected due to low numbers. I guess spending time on the cliff behind my house looking down on everything, even my car I dump money into for simple pleasure, puts everything in perspective - what I own from 500+ feet up is only a small spec if visible at all and at that distance it means nothing and I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. Working here in Charlotte, away from home for over 2 months, I've thought of the same thing several times; somehow if I lost everything I don't think it would phase me all that much. If we want to get biblical it is said not to covet material things and give to Caesar what is his. Simple words but meaningful when they count.
08-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #41
Inactive Account

In reply to "mopar_man"

In a strange circuitous kind of way, you ironically helped to illustrate precisely the very same point I was originally trying to highlight, when you said:
QuoteQuote:
I collect diecast cars. They sit on a shelf to be displayed because that's what I like.
Strange as it may seem, it happens that I also share a lifelong interest in the very same 'hobby' as yourself, but what would be the purpose of leaving all your models stowed-away and out-of-sight somewhere, which is why I said previously (to quote my very own words):

QuoteQuote:
What the hell is the point of owning something only to keep it boxed-up for years on end.
I can honestly say that never once have I purchased something in the hope that it would inevitably increase in value at some time down the line. Anyhow, I think it's time to allow Mo to enjoy his purchase at his leisure and hope that he derives many hours of pleasure from using it, rather than wrapping it up in cotton-wool and leaving it to languish at the back of a cupboard somewhere.....at which point I think this thread should be allowed to come to a swift and peaceful conclusion !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-13-2007 at 05:54 AM.
08-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #42

This Place used to be such a fun place to hang out...
Not like other forums i tell my friends. No flame wars, just honest talk about great photography gear.

I knew it would only be a matter of time...
The moderators should do us a favor and shelve this thread. Nothing good can come of it.

BTW, enjoy your new toy.
08-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
This Place used to be such a fun place to hang out...
Not like other forums i tell my friends. No flame wars, just honest talk about great photography gear.

I knew it would only be a matter of time...
The moderators should do us a favor and shelve this thread. Nothing good can come of it.

BTW, enjoy your new toy.
Personally i don't mind some heated discussion, but this thread has become a pathetic argument between two sides who clearly aren't going to agree. I don't think it is the place of the forum administrator to terminate threads such as this - but perhaps we could go back to comments on Mo's shiny new camera?
08-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #44
Inactive Account

lol, this thread gave me a cool idea.... maybe ill modify my K10D to have blue lettering =D i could lay masking tape over the pentax lettering and use an exacto knife to peel away revealing the letter surface then paint them blue, then peel back the tape giving a clean factory look... hmmmmmm lol, now im thinkin.....
08-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
This place used to be such a fun place to hang out... Not like other forums i tell my friends. No flame wars, just honest talk about great photography gear.

I knew it would only be a matter of time... The moderators should do us a favor and shelve this thread. Nothing good can come of it.

So you prefer a utopian-style forum with no individual thought or opinions leading to conflict or disagreements. A place where you agree with him and he agrees with you, and anyone thinking something else need not apply. A forum where moderators shelve threads at the whim of individual members - this thread you don't like and that thread someone else doesn't like. Well, you certainly have a right to those preferences, but it doesn't sound that great to me.

stewart