Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
My new K10D!

I always like collecting Pentax rarities, and I think the new Grand Prix K10D package falls under that category! After Pentax announced it in Japan, I was on the lookout for it in the Pentax USA online store, and last week, it popped up! I faced trouble ordering it online, so I had to call Pentax. It turns out that you can only order it by phone directly from Pentax, and that there are only 10 of these packages available in the US!

Other than being nicely packaged and having gold lettering, it's just an ordinary K10D. Here are a few snaps:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
I hope you're not actually going to use it!
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
If you don't mind me asking, Mo, how much did you pay for it? Is it priced the same as the standard model, or a special higher price?

Edit: Never mind, Mo. Just found it on the Pentax web site. The $1,195 for camera & matching grip is not bad for a limited edition model.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-08-2007 at 07:02 PM.
08-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 108
*Wipes drool from chin.* Very very nice. Only 10 in the US? That's not many at all. Where are the other 4990 going? I figured there'd be at least a few hundred or maybe a thousand available to the US.

08-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 226
The gold trim really does nothing for me whatsoever.

Enjoy it, but I sure don't want one. lol.
08-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I hope you're not actually going to use it!
Of course not! It's staying on the shef, boxed, along with all my other lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
If you don't mind me asking, Mo, how much did you pay for it? Is it priced the same as the standard model, or a special higher price?

Edit: Never mind, Mo. Just found it on the Pentax web site. The $1,195 for camera & matching grip is not bad for a limited edition model.

stewart
From what I've calculated, you're paying $100 extra for the gold lettering, since a normal K10D package costs $899 and the grip costs $149, excluding rebates. That's not bad at all, considering how much it may be worth in the future

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-09-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Enjoy

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I always like collecting Pentax rarities, and I think the new Grand Prix K10D package falls under that category! After Pentax announced it in Japan, I was on the lookout for it in the Pentax USA online store, and last week, it popped up! I faced trouble ordering it online, so I had to call Pentax. It turns out that you can only order it by phone directly from Pentax, and that there are only 10 of these packages available in the US!

Other than being nicely packaged and having gold lettering, it's just an ordinary K10D. Here are a few snaps:
May you get great pleasure from your new TOY...
08-09-2007, 03:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
.. considering how much it may be worth in the future
Sacrilege! We don't have pentax gear to speculate! I've a mind to report this post to the highest authority.






Oh.... wait....

08-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I always like collecting Pentax rarities, and I think the new Grand Prix K10D package falls under that category! After Pentax announced it in Japan, I was on the lookout for it in the Pentax USA online store, and last week, it popped up! I faced trouble ordering it online, so I had to call Pentax. It turns out that you can only order it by phone directly from Pentax, and that there are only 10 of these packages available in the US!

Other than being nicely packaged and having gold lettering, it's just an ordinary K10D. Here are a few snaps:
Mo, congrats on your new toy/collection!

Frankly, I don't like the appearance of this grand prix version. In the past, the Special Edition (SE) of Z-1/1p etc. were in silver colour. The gold labels and markings look odd to me and that I would still prefer to see the PENTAX logo at the bottom of the LCD instead of a line of words for the grand prix which meaning is not exactly clear.

If there is a silver version, I might have brought it last month at Japan.
08-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
From what I've calculated, you're paying $100 extra for the gold lettering, since a normal K10D package costs $899 and the grip costs $149, excluding rebates. That's not bad at all, considering how much it may be worth in the future

I especially like the gold lettering. I wouldn't mind seeing that for all lettering on every Pentax model. Something different from the crowd and all that. Regardless, that price for a limited edition is a good deal. You could probably use it heavily for the next ten years and still sell it for more than you paid. In mint condition, it may eventually be worth it's weight in gold - and I'm not talking about gold lettering here.

stewart
08-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Regardless, that price for a limited edition is a good deal. You could probably use it heavily for the next ten years and still sell it for more than you paid. In mint condition, it may eventually be worth it's weight in gold - and I'm not talking about gold lettering here.

stewart
I bet very probably NOT. Digital gadgets will become garbage just in a few years. So unlike film gear collection, it will worth nothing and no-one will offer good price to buy into such historical thing which are light years ago but has no value in actual usage, under normal circumstances, most of the time.
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member
bdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Burque, NM
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I bet very probably NOT. Digital gadgets will become garbage just in a few years. So unlike film gear collection, it will worth nothing and no-one will offer good price to buy into such historical thing which are light years ago but has no value in actual usage, under normal circumstances, most of the time.
I'm certainly glad you have the sense to not purchase such useless things.

Did you get burned in the Virgin Mary Toast/Jesus Tortilla auctions? Should have bid higher.


Congrats, Adam.

Last edited by bdavis; 08-09-2007 at 05:29 PM.
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Stratman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Louis, Missouri U S A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I bet very probably NOT. Digital gadgets will become garbage just in a few years. So unlike film gear collection, it will worth nothing and no-one will offer good price to buy into such historical thing which are light years ago but has no value in actual usage, under normal circumstances, most of the time.
Well RH, there are only 10 of these available in the US, so it WILL be a collectors item, regardless of how "usable" it is in the future, anything that rare will only go UP in value !
08-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 108
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I bet very probably NOT. Digital gadgets will become garbage just in a few years. So unlike film gear collection, it will worth nothing and no-one will offer good price to buy into such historical thing which are light years ago but has no value in actual usage, under normal circumstances, most of the time.
You know, I've only been here a short time and have read nothing but negative things from you. Your life must be miserable.
08-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
You know, I've only been here a short time and have read nothing but negative things from you. Your life must be miserable.
It's just my opinions and YMMV.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k10d, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: K10D w/ 3 Extra Batteries, DVD Tutorial, K10D Book! ksignorini Sold Items 2 08-28-2008 08:24 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: New K10D battery, K10D book sven Sold Items 2 12-17-2007 12:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top