Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new K10D!

I always like collecting Pentax rarities, and I think the new Grand Prix K10D package falls under that category! After Pentax announced it in Japan, I was on the lookout for it in the Pentax USA online store, and last week, it popped up! I faced trouble ordering it online, so I had to call Pentax. It turns out that you can only order it by phone directly from Pentax, and that there are only 10 of these packages available in the US!

Other than being nicely packaged and having gold lettering, it's just an ordinary K10D. Here are a few snaps:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I hope you're not actually going to use it!
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you don't mind me asking, Mo, how much did you pay for it? Is it priced the same as the standard model, or a special higher price?

Edit: Never mind, Mo. Just found it on the Pentax web site. The $1,195 for camera & matching grip is not bad for a limited edition model.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-08-2007 at 07:02 PM.
08-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #4

*Wipes drool from chin.* Very very nice. Only 10 in the US? That's not many at all. Where are the other 4990 going? I figured there'd be at least a few hundred or maybe a thousand available to the US.

08-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
The gold trim really does nothing for me whatsoever.

Enjoy it, but I sure don't want one. lol.
08-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I hope you're not actually going to use it!
Of course not! It's staying on the shef, boxed, along with all my other lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
If you don't mind me asking, Mo, how much did you pay for it? Is it priced the same as the standard model, or a special higher price?

Edit: Never mind, Mo. Just found it on the Pentax web site. The $1,195 for camera & matching grip is not bad for a limited edition model.

stewart
From what I've calculated, you're paying $100 extra for the gold lettering, since a normal K10D package costs $899 and the grip costs $149, excluding rebates. That's not bad at all, considering how much it may be worth in the future

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I always like collecting Pentax rarities, and I think the new Grand Prix K10D package falls under that category! After Pentax announced it in Japan, I was on the lookout for it in the Pentax USA online store, and last week, it popped up! I faced trouble ordering it online, so I had to call Pentax. It turns out that you can only order it by phone directly from Pentax, and that there are only 10 of these packages available in the US!

Other than being nicely packaged and having gold lettering, it's just an ordinary K10D. Here are a few snaps:
May you get great pleasure from your new TOY...

08-09-2007, 03:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

.. considering how much it may be worth in the future
Sacrilege! We don't have pentax gear to speculate! I've a mind to report this post to the highest authority.

Oh.... wait....
08-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mo, congrats on your new toy/collection!

Frankly, I don't like the appearance of this grand prix version. In the past, the Special Edition (SE) of Z-1/1p etc. were in silver colour. The gold labels and markings look odd to me and that I would still prefer to see the PENTAX logo at the bottom of the LCD instead of a line of words for the grand prix which meaning is not exactly clear.

If there is a silver version, I might have brought it last month at Japan.
08-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

From what I've calculated, you're paying $100 extra for the gold lettering, since a normal K10D package costs $899 and the grip costs $149, excluding rebates. That's not bad at all, considering how much it may be worth in the future

I especially like the gold lettering. I wouldn't mind seeing that for all lettering on every Pentax model. Something different from the crowd and all that. Regardless, that price for a limited edition is a good deal. You could probably use it heavily for the next ten years and still sell it for more than you paid. In mint condition, it may eventually be worth it's weight in gold - and I'm not talking about gold lettering here.

stewart
08-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Regardless, that price for a limited edition is a good deal. You could probably use it heavily for the next ten years and still sell it for more than you paid. In mint condition, it may eventually be worth it's weight in gold - and I'm not talking about gold lettering here.

stewart
I bet very probably NOT. Digital gadgets will become garbage just in a few years. So unlike film gear collection, it will worth nothing and no-one will offer good price to buy into such historical thing which are light years ago but has no value in actual usage, under normal circumstances, most of the time.
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I bet very probably NOT. Digital gadgets will become garbage just in a few years. So unlike film gear collection, it will worth nothing and no-one will offer good price to buy into such historical thing which are light years ago but has no value in actual usage, under normal circumstances, most of the time.
I'm certainly glad you have the sense to not purchase such useless things.

Did you get burned in the Virgin Mary Toast/Jesus Tortilla auctions? Should have bid higher.

Congrats, Adam.

Last edited by bdavis; 08-09-2007 at 05:29 PM.
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well RH, there are only 10 of these available in the US, so it WILL be a collectors item, regardless of how "usable" it is in the future, anything that rare will only go UP in value !
08-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #14

You know, I've only been here a short time and have read nothing but negative things from you. Your life must be miserable.
08-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
You know, I've only been here a short time and have read nothing but negative things from you. Your life must be miserable.
It's just my opinions and YMMV.