Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x purchasing advice

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Pentax K-x soon and I need some advice! I'm in Canada and I don't want to pay the typical $629 + GST for the camera so I've been looking at a few places.

The online retailers in the states typically sell them at around $520 or less for the Black + single kit lens... but some places like B&H photo offer extended warranty with accidental damage coverage. My question is if the accidental damage coverage is necessary for DSLR cameras? Or is the manufacturer's warranty enough?

Oh, and keep in mind that I only get 1 year international warranty if I purchase through the states, rather than the two years if I purchased in Canada...

Thanks!

06-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well that is hard to answer because you cannot predict accidents. I have had my Kx for about 5 months and have not come close to dropping it, scratching it, etc.... The accidential damage insurance will give you peace of mind so it's really up to you if you want to purchase it.
06-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by SRG01 Quote
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Pentax K-x soon and I need some advice! I'm in Canada and I don't want to pay the typical $629 + GST for the camera so I've been looking at a few places.

The online retailers in the states typically sell them at around $520 or less for the Black + single kit lens... but some places like B&H photo offer extended warranty with accidental damage coverage. My question is if the accidental damage coverage is necessary for DSLR cameras? Or is the manufacturer's warranty enough?

Oh, and keep in mind that I only get 1 year international warranty if I purchase through the states, rather than the two years if I purchased in Canada...

Thanks!
You could just purchase it with a credit card that offers a coverage plan - I know Amex, and some Visa/MC cards offer to double the warrantee, plus offer accidental damage coverage.
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Forum Member

I am in the exact same situation. Since I live near the border, I may simply ship one to a place called "US Address" in Buffalo that holds packages. I don't think buying one in Canada makes any sense at all.

06-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sushi warrior Quote
I am in the exact same situation. Since I live near the border, I may simply ship one to a place called "US Address" in Buffalo that holds packages. I don't think buying one in Canada makes any sense at all.
Not very patriotic of you, is it?

06-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Accidental damage coverage may cover things like dropping the camera off of your roof, scratching the sensor while cleaning it, junior trying to see if it goes down the hole in the toilet, or any number of other things. The problem you might meet up with is that the warranty is through a US company and trips across the border may get expensive (if you ever need to use the warranty). Weigh the cost of that vs a new camera vs the actual cost of repairs (likely to approach at least half the cost of a new camera). Then ask yourself how important it is to save the $100 or so dollars to buy in the US (and pay close to that in GST and Import tax) vs buying at home. B&H ships UPS to Canada if I'm not mistaken which will tack on a brokerage fee. You may be able to buy a separate insurance rider for your toys from your insurance company for less. Just some thoughts.

06-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gronk Quote
You could just purchase it with a credit card that offers a coverage plan - I know Amex, and some Visa/MC cards offer to double the warrantee, plus offer accidental damage coverage.
This is a very good idea -
also you can check your household insurance plan to see if that is covered as well.
06-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Accidental damage coverage may cover things like dropping the camera off of your roof, scratching the sensor while cleaning it, junior trying to see if it goes down the hole in the toilet, or any number of other things. The problem you might meet up with is that the warranty is through a US company and trips across the border may get expensive (if you ever need to use the warranty). Weigh the cost of that vs a new camera vs the actual cost of repairs (likely to approach at least half the cost of a new camera). Then ask yourself how important it is to save the $100 or so dollars to buy in the US (and pay close to that in GST and Import tax) vs buying at home. B&H ships UPS to Canada if I'm not mistaken which will tack on a brokerage fee. You may be able to buy a separate insurance rider for your toys from your insurance company for less. Just some thoughts.

Hello

According to, say, BH Photo, they have international warranty -- though I don't know about the shipping costs. Otherwise, UPS Worldwide covers the brokerage fees and there are no duties for photography equipment across the border (to the best of my knowledge!)

However, I do agree with you that I have to weigh it against a lot of factors. For instance, I can probably haggle my way into getting a few free accessories if I bought it locally. In all honesty, I don't think I've ever broken a piece of electronic equipment either...

Gronk: Would you happen to have some links to the appropriate information by any chance? AFAIK, most credit cards extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year or so...

06-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

SRD01, have you used photoprice.ca to check the prices? As of today the lowest price for the K-X is from The Camera Store in Calgary ($635 which includes taxes and shipping), this is cheaper than importing it from the USA. You also get the Pentax Canada warranty.
06-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hello

According to, say, BH Photo, they have international warranty -- though I don't know about the shipping costs. Otherwise, UPS Worldwide covers the brokerage fees and there are no duties for photography equipment across the border (to the best of my knowledge!)
Good luck

06-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Bobe, yes I've checked photoprice. Locally, I can get it for about $600 excluding tax at either Futureshop or Black's as it's on sale. However, BH Photo, Adorama, and prodigital2000 on ebay all offer the base model at around $520 USD with ~$40 UPS worldwide shipping that includes brokerage. I don't even think prodigital charges shipping, though his prices are in USD when he's based in Ontario strangely enough.

Thanks Jeff for your input! I really hope I can get this camera soon... I've had my eye on it since it first came out.