Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K7's focus screen in K-X?

All,

Can one take the stock focusing screen from the K7 and place it into the KX?

A friend is considering the K-X but he wants to at least know where AF points are in the viewfinder. My understanding is the K7's focus screen has the AF points lightly outlined (like every other dSLR) and the K7 and KX share the same AF capabilities. While the AF points won't light up, this is at least a step forward.

Thanks!
- slrl0ver

06-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AFAICR, the K-7 and K-x focusing screens are a different size, which one might expect given their different viewfinder types.

It's beside the point though, because the K-7 doesn't provide an indication of individual AF point location (apart from a brief indication of the active point(s) on AF lock / during AF point selection. That's achieved using indicator LEDs absent from the K-x design.)

The K-7 does provide an indication of the outer limits of the area covered by the AF system in its focusing screen, but the K-x provides that same indication already.
06-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-x has the same etchings as the K-7 and other DSLR's. The only thing missing is the lights, and aswapping screens won't give you those.
06-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...as I said.

06-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All,

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately not what I wanted to hear. On some other dSLRs I've used (Canon) you can see the AF points even without the LEDs because they are lightly screened onto the focusing screen.

A bizarre question: Anyone ever tried to paint the small boxes onto the focusing screen, using a template or something like it?

The K-X is really almost perfect except for this (yes, I know it's been debated to death), I'm just trying to find an alternative for my friend.

Thanks guys,
slrl0ver
06-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's wrong with the lines that are already etched there? the boxes that light up are jus approximations anyhow - they show only the center (roughly) of the focus sensor. You still have to keep in mind the actual focus sensor covers a broader area. Should be easy enough to gauge the actual position of the sensors from the lines already etched as from any new ones you added.
06-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Marc,

You're right that the K7 and K-X focus lines are equivalent. I was hoping the K7 is like my Canon 5D and actually shows the AF points in little black squares. Although the AF points shown in the viewfinder are approximations of the actual size/location, practically I find they're quite good at helping when I use AF with my Canon.

I figure if one really wants the AF points shown, one could take the AF viewfinder look from the K7 manual, and make a template that one can overlay onto the focus screen and spray some paint. I've heard of Canon users struggling to outline AF points for older bodies...

-slrl0ver