Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Impressed with my K100D

Hey guys,

After reading several good reviews on the K100D, I decided to purchased an used one with about 5500 actuations on it. I dedicated it to manual lenses and make my K10D as an AF body. My first impression is I'm impressed by this little DSLR. IQ is great even at ISO 1600. I must say the new Ligthroom 3 Noise Reduction is simply amazing as well. So LR3 + K100D seems to be a great pair for low light shooting.

06-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Hey guys,

After reading several good reviews on the K100D, I decided to purchased an used one with about 5500 actuations on it. I dedicated it to manual lenses and make my K10D as an AF body. My first impression is I'm impressed by this little DSLR. IQ is great even at ISO 1600. I must say the new Ligthroom 3 Noise Reduction is simply amazing as well. So LR3 + K100D seems to be a great pair for low light shooting.
Congrats on the purchases! I'm pretty pleased with LR3 as well, nicely complements my K-7...
06-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
I also bought a K100D after a year with a K10D. It's indeed an amazing camera and I sometimes like it more than the K10D. My wife has now confiscated it, but I also had it dedicated to manual (M42) lenses.
06-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Congrats on the purchases! I'm pretty pleased with LR3 as well, nicely complements my K-7...
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I also bought a K100D after a year with a K10D. It's indeed an amazing camera and I sometimes like it more than the K10D. My wife has now confiscated it, but I also had it dedicated to manual (M42) lenses.
I haven't "confessed" to my wife yet

I currently have the Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.4 installed on it and it takes great pictures. Now I need to get 4 Eneloop then I'll take it out for a spin this week-end.

06-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member
theperception2008's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Łódź, Poland and Riverside, California, U.S.A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
I picked up my K100D Super to replace my stolen Gx-20, and I have to say the pics, especially in RAW, rival the Gx-20's jpeg's! I love my K100D super :-) I just wish it was weathersealed :-(. Hmm I might have to get LR3 instead of Aperture 3 for my comp...

Congrats on the great pruchase! Oh get a nice charger too, it will make the Eneloops go a long long way! I have the PowerEx MH-C9000. Excellent charger!
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,844
I, too, have bought a K100D as a second body to go with my K10, and I'm really digging it.

Will use some more before I really state how I feel though.
06-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tartu, Estonia
Posts: 159
Hmm, for some reason I did not regret departing with my K10D but for some unrational reason kept my K100D- and am very happy I did... Although on the slow side it has been an amazing macro and low-light workhorse for me. Hope it lasts on and on :-)
Best and happy 6 megapixels to all, JR
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,761
My K100d lives in my car trunk for unexpected shot opportunities. I took it along to Spain as a second body to use in high theft areas of Barcelona, since it costs about $200 to replace and it uses easily available batts. I was also impressed with it. It is a good match to the latest version of the kit lens as well.

I found myself grabbing it for quick shots in compact jpegs that I could easily email to friends. Here is a typical tourist grab shot (view from my hotel in Granada of the Alhambra, packed with tourists) taken in the evening with the Rodney Dangerfield pairing of the K100d and the DA 50-200 at the longer end of its range. Below it, the tourist classic for emailing--the view from the necessary seat at the facility in our hotel room.

Not bad at all--especially the view from the hotel.








06-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,056
That 6Mp sony sensor is pretty good and unlike the K7, file downloads are a breeze.
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
little worries

I just downloaded PhotoME and opened the last picture taken with my K100D. It shows the manufactured date being June 1st 2006. Although the camera has only 6000 actuations, it still worries me that the camera is over 4 years old. I totally forgot to ask the seller about the date of purchase.

I know Pentax shutter lifespan should be around 100K clicks but not sure about the lifespan of the Sony sensor though...hope it will last for a couple more years
06-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
I tell u what, it's a camera of two personalities. I have owned/own the 10D, 20D and K7 and honestly only the K10D at low ISO is even close to the 100D in terms of per pixel sharpness and colour. I just cannot get the 14mp sensor to work for me, it's somehow lifeless and pixel for pixel it's very, very soft even with mega lenses.

The problem with the 100D is that it's just a right son of a b1tch to use. It's achingly slow to do even the most basic function and one is forever pressing the frekin Fn button to get to the ISO setting or WB.

If u shoot RAW like I do well it's just a horror show.
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I tell u what, it's a camera of two personalities. I have owned/own the 10D, 20D and K7 and honestly only the K10D at low ISO is even close to the 100D in terms of per pixel sharpness and colour. I just cannot get the 14mp sensor to work for me, it's somehow lifeless and pixel for pixel it's very, very soft even with mega lenses.

The problem with the 100D is that it's just a right son of a b1tch to use. It's achingly slow to do even the most basic function and one is forever pressing the frekin Fn button to get to the ISO setting or WB.

If u shoot RAW like I do well it's just a horror show.

I agree with you on the slowness of the K100D. It takes forever to delete 100 pictures using the delete all function. At some points, I just use format command instead and it seems to be faster. And yes, I only shoot RAW so I heard you.

I guess nothing is perfect in this life so I gotta learn to live with its strengths and weaknesses.
06-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,814
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I just downloaded PhotoME and opened the last picture taken with my K100D. It shows the manufactured date being June 1st 2006. Although the camera has only 6000 actuations, it still worries me that the camera is over 4 years old. I totally forgot to ask the seller about the date of purchase.

I know Pentax shutter lifespan should be around 100K clicks but not sure about the lifespan of the Sony sensor though...hope it will last for a couple more years
I would not worry. My *ist DS says it was made in November 2004 and has 18,000 clicks, kind of low compared to some I've seen here. A couple of years ago I read that Adobe Camera RAW filters dead pixels, so I had to see how many dead pixels my creaky old camera had been hiding from me. I think it was two.

I was told that I could not sell the DS because it was a gift. I still like using it. The sensor is also good at IR without modification.
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would not worry. My *ist DS says it was made in November 2004 and has 18,000 clicks, kind of low compared to some I've seen here. A couple of years ago I read that Adobe Camera RAW filters dead pixels, so I had to see how many dead pixels my creaky old camera had been hiding from me. I think it was two.

I was told that I could not sell the DS because it was a gift. I still like using it. The sensor is also good at IR without modification.

Ah now I understand why when I load up LightRoom 3 with my RAW images taken with the K100d it shows the image with few red dots always at the same position, however the minute I click anywhere on the image those red dots disappear. Ok so now my K100D has dead pixels
06-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Ok so now my K100D has dead pixels
Nothing to worry about -- a few stuck / dead pixels on a sensor is completely normal, you're talking about a sensor with multiple millions of pixels on its surface, after all. Heck, it's not unusual to get cameras that have a few stuck pixels even when first shipped from the factory. They're easily mapped out and corrected for in software, and indeed the majority of cameras these days will do this themselves as you're shooting in JPEG mode, too. Some also do it before saving Raw data, others don't.

No need to sweat this one, if it's shooting fine for you.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k100d, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PZ 28-80 - Not Impressed Bubbabob Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 06-03-2009 08:09 PM
My better half was not impressed...... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 17 04-16-2009 07:28 PM
Wow, i'm impressed.... lodi781 Photographic Technique 12 12-31-2008 08:22 PM
New K200d user. Very impressed. ripleyfrog Post Your Photos! 11 10-14-2008 05:54 AM
I'm impressed with the SR in the K10D! Groundloop Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 09-30-2007 04:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top