Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Impressed with my K100D

Hey guys,

After reading several good reviews on the K100D, I decided to purchased an used one with about 5500 actuations on it. I dedicated it to manual lenses and make my K10D as an AF body. My first impression is I'm impressed by this little DSLR. IQ is great even at ISO 1600. I must say the new Ligthroom 3 Noise Reduction is simply amazing as well. So LR3 + K100D seems to be a great pair for low light shooting.

06-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Hey guys,

After reading several good reviews on the K100D, I decided to purchased an used one with about 5500 actuations on it. I dedicated it to manual lenses and make my K10D as an AF body. My first impression is I'm impressed by this little DSLR. IQ is great even at ISO 1600. I must say the new Ligthroom 3 Noise Reduction is simply amazing as well. So LR3 + K100D seems to be a great pair for low light shooting.
Congrats on the purchases! I'm pretty pleased with LR3 as well, nicely complements my K-7...
06-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also bought a K100D after a year with a K10D. It's indeed an amazing camera and I sometimes like it more than the K10D. My wife has now confiscated it, but I also had it dedicated to manual (M42) lenses.
06-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Congrats on the purchases! I'm pretty pleased with LR3 as well, nicely complements my K-7...
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I also bought a K100D after a year with a K10D. It's indeed an amazing camera and I sometimes like it more than the K10D. My wife has now confiscated it, but I also had it dedicated to manual (M42) lenses.
I haven't "confessed" to my wife yet

I currently have the Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.4 installed on it and it takes great pictures. Now I need to get 4 Eneloop then I'll take it out for a spin this week-end.

06-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I picked up my K100D Super to replace my stolen Gx-20, and I have to say the pics, especially in RAW, rival the Gx-20's jpeg's! I love my K100D super :-) I just wish it was weathersealed :-(. Hmm I might have to get LR3 instead of Aperture 3 for my comp...

Congrats on the great pruchase! Oh get a nice charger too, it will make the Eneloops go a long long way! I have the PowerEx MH-C9000. Excellent charger!
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I, too, have bought a K100D as a second body to go with my K10, and I'm really digging it.

Will use some more before I really state how I feel though.
06-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #7

Hmm, for some reason I did not regret departing with my K10D but for some unrational reason kept my K100D- and am very happy I did... Although on the slow side it has been an amazing macro and low-light workhorse for me. Hope it lasts on and on :-)
Best and happy 6 megapixels to all, JR
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

My K100d lives in my car trunk for unexpected shot opportunities. I took it along to Spain as a second body to use in high theft areas of Barcelona, since it costs about $200 to replace and it uses easily available batts. I was also impressed with it. It is a good match to the latest version of the kit lens as well.

I found myself grabbing it for quick shots in compact jpegs that I could easily email to friends. Here is a typical tourist grab shot (view from my hotel in Granada of the Alhambra, packed with tourists) taken in the evening with the Rodney Dangerfield pairing of the K100d and the DA 50-200 at the longer end of its range. Below it, the tourist classic for emailing--the view from the necessary seat at the facility in our hotel room.

Not bad at all--especially the view from the hotel.

06-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

That 6Mp sony sensor is pretty good and unlike the K7, file downloads are a breeze.
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
little worries

I just downloaded PhotoME and opened the last picture taken with my K100D. It shows the manufactured date being June 1st 2006. Although the camera has only 6000 actuations, it still worries me that the camera is over 4 years old. I totally forgot to ask the seller about the date of purchase.

I know Pentax shutter lifespan should be around 100K clicks but not sure about the lifespan of the Sony sensor though...hope it will last for a couple more years
06-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I tell u what, it's a camera of two personalities. I have owned/own the 10D, 20D and K7 and honestly only the K10D at low ISO is even close to the 100D in terms of per pixel sharpness and colour. I just cannot get the 14mp sensor to work for me, it's somehow lifeless and pixel for pixel it's very, very soft even with mega lenses.

The problem with the 100D is that it's just a right son of a b1tch to use. It's achingly slow to do even the most basic function and one is forever pressing the frekin Fn button to get to the ISO setting or WB.

If u shoot RAW like I do well it's just a horror show.
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I tell u what, it's a camera of two personalities. I have owned/own the 10D, 20D and K7 and honestly only the K10D at low ISO is even close to the 100D in terms of per pixel sharpness and colour. I just cannot get the 14mp sensor to work for me, it's somehow lifeless and pixel for pixel it's very, very soft even with mega lenses.

The problem with the 100D is that it's just a right son of a b1tch to use. It's achingly slow to do even the most basic function and one is forever pressing the frekin Fn button to get to the ISO setting or WB.

If u shoot RAW like I do well it's just a horror show.

I agree with you on the slowness of the K100D. It takes forever to delete 100 pictures using the delete all function. At some points, I just use format command instead and it seems to be faster. And yes, I only shoot RAW so I heard you.

I guess nothing is perfect in this life so I gotta learn to live with its strengths and weaknesses.
06-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I just downloaded PhotoME and opened the last picture taken with my K100D. It shows the manufactured date being June 1st 2006. Although the camera has only 6000 actuations, it still worries me that the camera is over 4 years old. I totally forgot to ask the seller about the date of purchase.

I know Pentax shutter lifespan should be around 100K clicks but not sure about the lifespan of the Sony sensor though...hope it will last for a couple more years
I would not worry. My *ist DS says it was made in November 2004 and has 18,000 clicks, kind of low compared to some I've seen here. A couple of years ago I read that Adobe Camera RAW filters dead pixels, so I had to see how many dead pixels my creaky old camera had been hiding from me. I think it was two.

I was told that I could not sell the DS because it was a gift. I still like using it. The sensor is also good at IR without modification.
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would not worry. My *ist DS says it was made in November 2004 and has 18,000 clicks, kind of low compared to some I've seen here. A couple of years ago I read that Adobe Camera RAW filters dead pixels, so I had to see how many dead pixels my creaky old camera had been hiding from me. I think it was two.

I was told that I could not sell the DS because it was a gift. I still like using it. The sensor is also good at IR without modification.

Ah now I understand why when I load up LightRoom 3 with my RAW images taken with the K100d it shows the image with few red dots always at the same position, however the minute I click anywhere on the image those red dots disappear. Ok so now my K100D has dead pixels
06-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok so now my K100D has dead pixels
Nothing to worry about -- a few stuck / dead pixels on a sensor is completely normal, you're talking about a sensor with multiple millions of pixels on its surface, after all. Heck, it's not unusual to get cameras that have a few stuck pixels even when first shipped from the factory. They're easily mapped out and corrected for in software, and indeed the majority of cameras these days will do this themselves as you're shooting in JPEG mode, too. Some also do it before saving Raw data, others don't.

No need to sweat this one, if it's shooting fine for you.