Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #16

Original Poster
Since I've never posted here until my original post about over exposure and since I learned on the fly about posting pics here and since I'm a newbie to using my K7 which is my first dslr...stepping up from a P&S....the EXIF date seems to show that the focal length shows 00mm; the ISO is 800 on all pics; but the range runs from f4 to f8 or so. I am certain I just didn't have a setting or two correct. But what puzzles me is that I shot on green/auto and one pic would come out great but the very next was over-exposed. This really puzzles me when shooting a burst sequence in the P mode. Of 5 shots in 1 sec. 4 would come out fine but 1 would be over-exposed.

When I get my camera back from my friend, I will do a little experimenting after checking my settings. First thing I'll do is shut off the OS on the Sigma 18-250 and leave the in-camera OS on to see if there was a conflict between the two as mentioned above. I'll put it into P mode and check the EV setting too and try the other things mentioned above.

Thanks again! I only wish I was as knowledgeable as you folks so I could contribute more.

06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First thing to check is why the focal length reports as 0 - usually only manual focus lenses do that, and only when SR is off. Next thing to check is if you are in exposure bracketing mode.
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

After following threads like this for a couple of years now, I need to ask, why is the first assumption that the camera is doing something wrong?

These threads never ask "what am I doing wrong?" they always ask, "what is wrong with my camera?"
06-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lowe Quote
When shooting, images in the viewfinder seem to take too much time to settle or stop moving around or stop jostling around as the SR system stabilizes and solidifies the image. At least I think that it is the SR system.
It can not be the SR as the SR doesn't stabilize the viewfinder image, but the sensor. If you used Live View, you would see the SR working.

06-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Instead of giving us a range of exif data, please provide, for each photo you posted, the following: aperture setting, shutter speed, iso, drive mode, shooting mode.

If your exposure and other settings should have resulted in a properly exposed (or close to it) image but didn't, then there is probably something wrong with the camera and/or lens.

If your exposure and other settings should have resulted in the actual exposed image you got, then there is something wrong with what you did.

But without knowing, for each image posted, the exif data for that image, it is hard to diagnose what happened.
06-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
It can not be the SR as the SR doesn't stabilize the viewfinder image, but the sensor.
Since he's talking about the Sigma 18-250 OS lens, though, he's probably actually referring to the stabilization built in to that lens.