Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When my gear arrives I plan on writing a review in comparison with the SX200IS (Canon) I'm using right now just for those people like myself moving from a point and shoot. I don't plan on bashing Canon as it's a great small camera but I think some people would like to see comparisons to pictures with both types just to quantify the difference under normal conditions like bright sun and night.

One from the other day (Afghanistan)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX200 IS  Photo 
06-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #47

Photos: Albums
or as a pilot , perhaps you will considered this...
Attached Images

06-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #48

its very handy ..and you dont need also speedlens in afganishtan, i think the light is enough ..
06-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
When my gear arrives I plan on writing a review in comparison with the SX200IS (Canon) I'm using right now just for those people like myself moving from a point and shoot. I don't plan on bashing Canon as it's a great small camera but I think some people would like to see comparisons to pictures with both types just to quantify the difference under normal conditions like bright sun and night.

I'm assuming that's a chopper on the left (not a dead bug on your lens), so imagine what this shot would look like at 300mm.

So yeah, you can quantify that huge difference right at the start.

06-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote

Nice shot, Lee. Looking forward to the review. One thing to note is that while you should see a noticeable difference there is also a noticeable learning curve when stepping up to a dSLR, even if you have prior film experience. My rule of thumb is that it takes a thousand shots to get comfortable with a new body and/or lens, so plan accordingly. YMMV. If you find yourself in a photographic moment but not yet fluent with the Pentax, shoot some backups with the Canon just in case...
06-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
or as a pilot , perhaps you will considered this...
No WR and the big zoom Sigmas pick up dust from zooming that monster lens in and out.
06-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
No WR and the big zoom Sigmas pick up dust from zooming that monster lens in and out.
no its not, its just im not afraid the water but the dusk that im afraid,
with the water you can protect with this
Attached Images

06-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #53

i think , for EX DG quality it would not be easy for the dusk to jump in ... so why we should be worry ?

06-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm assuming that's a chopper on the left (not a dead bug on your lens), so imagine what this shot would look like at 300mm.

So yeah, you can quantify that huge difference right at the start.

Yes that is a Kiowa, actually if you look very very carefully you can see the rocket impacts in the mountains below the sun.
06-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nice shot, Lee. Looking forward to the review. One thing to note is that while you should see a noticeable difference there is also a noticeable learning curve when stepping up to a dSLR, even if you have prior film experience. My rule of thumb is that it takes a thousand shots to get comfortable with a new body and/or lens, so plan accordingly. YMMV. If you find yourself in a photographic moment but not yet fluent with the Pentax, shoot some backups with the Canon just in case...
I will be sure to include that in comparison. I'm a very fast learner with electronics so the technical aspects are the easy part for me, it's composition and building an eye for the details that presents the challenge.

The Bigma was considered but will probably get packed full of dust.

I also plan to show what ISO noise looks like in comparison. I know it's no contest but people making a switch are still curious as they maybe want a little mental justification to tip the scales toward the purchase, or just reinforce the reason for all that money spend and feel sound in the decision.

Lee
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A quick glimpse at what the dust looks like here when It's blowing around, and I'm at one of the least dusty areas.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX200 IS  Photo 
07-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After 11 long days of patience the camera arrived safely via BH photo and the US Postal Service to eastern Afghanistan. BH was very wise and did not list the items in the box other than "consumer goods".

Initial reaction is that it is very well made and the pair of DA* lenses are a great match. Weight is "made of metal" but not bad. Focus seems just as fast as the Nikon D40/90 and Canon T2i I have played with out here. This is during broad daylight, in a pitch dark room it still focused very quickly with the AF assist light.

Noise made me laugh. I shot up to ISO 3200 and yes it was noisy at 3200 but Lightroom quickly fixed that. It seems like Pentax just retains the detail at the expense of noise and I'm fine with that. My Canon SX200IS will smudge out the noise but kills detail.

It underexposed a LOT compared to a Canon, but that said It is fixed by just adding +.7 to the exposure compensation. Same with the Canon "vibrant color" fixed that in about a minute by adjusting saturation in the features.

The best part is after a short ride out to the site where I work in a Humvee it was covered in a light film of dust, brand new not more than a few hours out of the box!

I will post a nice review with some comparison shots between K-7 and Canon SX200IS just for those out there pondering moving up from a point and shoot for the sake of contrast.

Attached is a quick picture of some native oranges. (DA* 60-250)

Thanks for all the advice!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #58

Glad it arrived safely! Looking forward to images with this kit. I lived in this part of the world for a year when I was a teenager and love the people there (the non-terrorists). The local foods are pretty awesome too, if you like to eat with your fingers.
07-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #59
Site Supporter

Glad to hear everything arrived safe and sound, and in only 11 days? Not to shabby considering.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're all excited to see your shots.

PS: Lovely highlight bokeh in the shot of that fruit.
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Check out "on final" in the photo's section for some action shots here in Afghanistan.