Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #1

how to test if SR Shake Reduction in K-x is functioning?

i use my camera so infrequently any more that i can't recall if it used to do something noticeable to indicate SR was working. it just seems as though something is lacking.

is there a way to check for proper SR functionality?

thanks,
Brian

06-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a handheld shot of some text at 1/8s. If your hand was relatively still, the text should be legible. And if it is, then SR is working! You should also be able to hear the system in action- it's a faint grumbling sound.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You should also be able to hear the system in action- it's a faint grumbling sound.
I thought the faint grumbling sound was the sound people make when they shake their brand new Pentax and hear something loose inside.
06-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The indicator that SR is working is a little "hand" icon that appears to the bottom right of the viewfinder when the system is active (usually a split second after the focus confirmation hexagon comes on while half-pressing the shutter). If you're in the habit of simply punching the shutter rather than first half-pressing, waiting for focus and SR, then completing the action, you probably *aren't* getting SR, and the act of punching the shutter like that also introduces more shake than the two-step method.