Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Had gone for an Amateur Tennis match earlier. I must say, the above tips really helped. Its really a pain when the clouds require change of settings on the double for exposure but that aside, remarkably sharp and i can say my hit rate is pretty high.

Last edited by Reportage; 06-17-2010 at 08:18 AM.
06-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Had gone for an Amateur Tennis match earlier. I must say, the above tips really helped. Its really a pain when the clouds require change of settings on the double for exposure but that aside, remarkably sharp and i can say my hit rate is pretty high.
Those are niclely captured. The EXIF data is gone from those images. What lens and shutter speed were you using?
06-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Those are niclely captured. The EXIF data is gone from those images. What lens and shutter speed were you using?
Tamron 75-300 and general settings were F/5.6 1/640 iso320 which i changed depending on the light on the court. I think if i dropped -0.3EV should be able to control the white from blowing out.
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Again, one have to wait for nearly a second with the camera in shooting position for the SR system to "settle" in that position. Whenever you move the camera you need to let the system adapt to the new position before shooting and that is true even if the SR system where on before the move. Thus there is no point in having it on at all time, you still have to wait.
But it would decrease the time for it to settle as it doesn't have to wait for you to push the button. Plus it means you don't have to half-press the button constantly while waiting for that right moment to fire the shutter. As I said, sometimes I've pushed it too far and fired the shutter when I didn't want to.

06-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #35

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
I use my K20D for motorcross with a Sigma 70-200 with HSM and have never had a problem with the shake reduction, I actually find that its pretty quick, getting the conformation virtually the same time as focus and sometimes before.
06-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #36
Forum Member

great tennis shots
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Tamron 75-300 and general settings were F/5.6 1/640 iso320 which i changed depending on the light on the court. I think if i dropped -0.3EV should be able to control the white from blowing out.
With a shutter speed at 1/640, I wonder how much SR is adding much sharpness to those shots. I've read that there is some benefit, but it probably would not be worth waiting too long for the confirmation to pull the trigger.
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Again, one have to wait for nearly a second with the camera in shooting position for the SR system to "settle" in that position. Whenever you move the camera you need to let the system adapt to the new position before shooting and that is true even if the SR system where on before the move. Thus there is no point in having it on at all time, you still have to wait.
Samsung GX20. I have occasionally to wait forever. Only turning the on/off will restore OIS. Samsung Romania has been unable to fix the problem. My separate post on the subject did not elicit a rejoinder saying that I might be doing something wrong. The ball remains in Samsung's court, and by some stretching in Pentax's as well.

06-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #39
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
With a shutter speed at 1/640, I wonder how much SR is adding much sharpness to those shots. I've read that there is some benefit, but it probably would not be worth waiting too long for the confirmation to pull the trigger.
Gene, you finally pushed me over the edge to turn the damn thing off, especially with the ultra sunny conditions I usually shoot in in Florida.

Never had it with my F2s and Mamiya Sekor film cameras, so why the heck should it be so important with digital, in optimum conditions?

So starting today, and for a week or so, no SR.