Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How often has waiting for the SR confimation icon resulted in missed shots?

Any idea why the SR will activate a few seconds only after AF lock is confirmed?

I really thought the SR was something that was on all the time...didnt really notice it before or am i wrong about this and its just nothing?

Are other brands shake reduction solutions like this as well?

finding based on the K20D.

06-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #2

The Pentax SR is based on an electromagnetic system which needs a moment to load and that creates a small "lag" (If the shutter speed is fast enough, you don't have to wait for it to load or you can even turn it off)

I don't have any experiance with other systems, but for example Canikon uses optical SR integrated in lenses.

More info here for example http://www.pentaximaging.com/pdf/All_Bodies_Shake_Reduction_012208.pdf

Edit: Personally I have had no problems with it since you can load it beforehand half-pressing the shutter button.
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In lens stabilization also requires a second or two. Some lenses acre active faster than others. However from my experience they all take a second to start and you usually can tell when it starts up.
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Any idea why the SR will activate a few seconds only after AF lock is confirmed?

I really thought the SR was something that was on all the time...didnt really notice it before or am i wrong about this and its just nothing?

Are other brands shake reduction solutions like this as well?

finding based on the K20D.
I haven't had SR problem with my K20D as you do . I've been completely forgoten to check for the SR hand in the view finder; when I saw your post, I grabbed the camera and tried to focus at various things to check to see if SR is slow, and noticed when the lens stopped focus, the green hexagon came on then just a split second right after that, the hand came on . That is fast enough for me .

06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I grabbed the camera and tried to focus at various things to check to see if SR is slow, and noticed when the lens stopped focus, the green hexagon came on then just a split second right after that, the hand came on.
Ditto. Very fast for me.
06-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
how about if i was to put it in a pro sports context?

I think i will disable SR and use a monopod + faster shutterspeed for an upcoming amateur game to see if there are any differences.

Last edited by Reportage; 06-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.
06-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
How often has waiting for the SR confimation icon resulted in missed shots?
Never. Mine comes on a split second after it hits focus.

06-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Never. I press the shutter button to take the photo and I don't pay attention to the SR, so I don't know if it's on or not.
06-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never missed a shot waiting for the SR. If waiting for the SR means I'm going to miss the shot, then I'll just take it. Undoubtedly I have had some shots which weren't as sharp as they could have been because I didn't wait for the SR.

In shooting sports generally you're going to be using a fast enough shutter that it won't be a problem.
06-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
how about if i was to put it in a pro sports context?

I think i will disable SR and use a monopod + faster shutterspeed for an upcoming amateur game to see if there are any differences.
As I wrote earlier you can pre-load the SR by half-pressing the shutter button and here's a quote from that PDF link I posted:
"Does the SR system work during pan shots of moving subjects?
Yes, it does work, but switching the SR function off is recommended. In shooting conditions
where there may be camera shake
more than by hand, the SR system may not appropriately
compensate for the shaking
. "

I use AF button to focus and shutter button only for taking photo, so I can keep the SR loaded practically all the time if needed.
06-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have never missed a shot due to SR. I just tried it right now and SR will enable even when the shot is NOT in focus. My SR takes maybe 1/4 of a second to activate whether I am in focus or not. I prefer SR on, expecially for Macro and long zoom photos, it really makes a difference and takes no time to kick in.
06-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sanraki Quote
I use AF button to focus and shutter button only for taking photo, so I can keep the SR loaded practically all the time if needed.
Bingo. Another good reason to use the AF button for focus. Sucks when you hand it to someone to take a picture, but you can't have it all...
06-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Bingo. Another good reason to use the AF button for focus.
It is a good reason--this may make me change my practice (although I've never 'waited" for SR. )

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Sucks when you hand it to someone to take a picture
Another good reason not to hand over the Pentax ;~)
06-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My hand symbol comes on before focus is achieved K10D with M42 screwmount lenses
06-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Never. I never miss an opportunity while waiting ion SR to engage (which takes a half a second?)....on the other hand, if you didn't have built in SR or turned it off, does that mean you'd never take a shot?

Jason