Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

The thing is that you should hold the camera still for nearly a second before shooting with SR if you want SR to be effective. Having the hand symbol lit and then suddenly move the camera and shoot will only confuse the system as it may interpret the sudden movement as something it should compensate for.

06-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sanraki Quote

I use AF button to focus and shutter button only for taking photo, so I can keep the SR loaded practically all the time if needed.
On my Kx, using the AF button does not keep SR loaded. It pre-focuses, but does not light up the SR ready symbol.

The only way I can load SR is to half-press the shutter button. When I'm pre-focused, the wait for the SR seems long, probably only half a second, but it feels long. In AF-s mode on the Kx, if you fully press the shutter, the camera will wait for the focus to lock, but not for the SR to activate.

I guess I have "missed" shots because of SR activation. Not because I waited for SR and missed the moment. When I'm really concentrating on the subject, I will forget to wait for SR light. It's at the bottom of the viewfinder, so I have to consciously watch for it especially when I'm outside. When I'm shooting fast, I occasionally get shots with "SR not Activated". Sometimes they are blurry, sometimes not.
06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
Forum Member

Thank you. That's a good article. I see that it's on the Pentax U.S. site now.

Are there others like it? and how do you get to them. I've searched the Pentax US site, but can't find technical articles.
06-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by bnorikane Quote
On my Kx, using the AF button does not keep SR loaded. It pre-focuses, but does not light up the SR ready symbol.

The only way I can load SR is to half-press the shutter button. When I'm pre-focused, the wait for the SR seems long, probably only half a second, but it feels long. In AF-s mode on the Kx, if you fully press the shutter, the camera will wait for the focus to lock, but not for the SR to activate.
Do it like this: 1. Half-press the shutter button and keep it that way 2. Aim and push the AF button to focus 3. Press the shutter all the way.

You can keep the shutter down as long as you like and refocus as many times as you wish and SR is enabled all the time.

@bnorikane: I found that by Googling. I remember bumping on a site filled with those articles, but i can't find it anymore.

06-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The only time I worry about getting the SR symbol is when I know I'm pushing the envelope on hand-holding. On many of the Pentax bodies, it is very easy to turn the SR off and use it only when needed, and I often do that.

One of my minor nits to pick about the K-x is that you have to go to menus to turn SR on and off. It does turn SR off automatically when you use flash, but I've often thought a sensor in the tripod mount would be nice as well.
06-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The only time I worry about getting the SR symbol is when I know I'm pushing the envelope on hand-holding. On many of the Pentax bodies, it is very easy to turn the SR off and use it only when needed, and I often do that.

One of my minor nits to pick about the K-x is that you have to go to menus to turn SR on and off. It does turn SR off automatically when you use flash, but I've often thought a sensor in the tripod mount would be nice as well.
For me, it's not terribly inconvenient to turn SR off, just a press of the info button and a flick of the dial and it's off, since I rarely change the other settings there.

I also use the AF button and so I don't have the problem of waiting.
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
For me, it's not terribly inconvenient to turn SR off, just a press of the info button and a flick of the dial and it's off, since I rarely change the other settings there.

I also use the AF button and so I don't have the problem of waiting.
Using the info button, etc. requires paying attention to the screen, or you may be changing something unintended. I can flip the switch on other bodies by feel. I don't turn the SR off because of the delay, because SR doesn't delay the shot unless I want to wait for it. I turn SR off because when you don't need it, it may do more harm than good.

06-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The SR takes a lot less time to set than it takes me to double check composition and exposure.
06-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I blame every shot I've ever missed and every out of focus shot on Pentax's SR.

I mean, it couldn't possibly be because of my photography skills, right?
06-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perish the thought, Ira! Not a chance.
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Perish the thought, Ira! Not a chance.
Thank you for confirming what I knew to be true all along.

Not a chance.
06-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

But seriously folks:

Getting anal about blaming the gear is like a painter blaming the brush.

It's PART of the big picture, but it's not necessarily the reason the painting stinks.
06-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I use AF button to focus and shutter button only for taking photo, so I can keep the SR loaded practically all the time if needed.
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Bingo. Another good reason to use the AF button for focus. Sucks when you hand it to someone to take a picture, but you can't have it all...
I too use the rear AF button. The problem being though, as I have experienced it, is that keeping the SR "loaded" by keeping the shutter button half-pressed means that sometimes you press a little hard and inadvertently take a photo!

I suggested on here years ago that Pentax make it possible to turn the SR on permanently to help this situation. A Pentax employee on here PM'd me and said she would make the suggestion to Pentax. Obviously they didn't like the idea. It may drain the battery a bit faster, but I can live with that that. Maybe it just overheats or something.

Can I find any love here for that idea?
06-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Again, one have to wait for nearly a second with the camera in shooting position for the SR system to "settle" in that position. Whenever you move the camera you need to let the system adapt to the new position before shooting and that is true even if the SR system where on before the move. Thus there is no point in having it on at all time, you still have to wait.
06-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well, again, we have to get back to why we have a shake reduction system--to get a sharp photo where a slower than ideal shutter speed is required. If you are shooting something that is happening fast enough that waiting for the SR confirm or readjust get in the way, then you are going to have a hard time getting a sharp photo at a slow shutter speed. If your shutter speed is fast enough to get a sharp photo of a changing scene, you probably won't benefit all that much from SR anyway.