Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

GeneV, thanks for all the valuable inputs. I have to thank Jay (or harass him) for his thread and contribution in '15mm controls my mind' yet another lens purchase. The 15 looks awesome especially in traveling light.
Another DA15 finds a home. You'll love it as much as Jay and I.

Along the same lines, I was showing some of my recent photos to friends on their big screen TV, and we got to one of the DA15 fruit shots at La Boqueria. After oohs and ahhs, my friends kept asking "how do you get fruit to look so interesting?"

07-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last night we were having dinner at the house of some friends who are planning a trip to Provence in September. After a meal, we retired to their media room to look at some of our photos of Spain. I was a little apprehensive because the photos were to be displayed on a screen almost 3 meters across from an HD projector attached to my laptop with an HDMI cable.

The K-x and DA Ltds. acquitted themselves marvelously. Actually, even the photos from my wife's P&S looked pretty good in full screen, but I accidentally hit a mouse command that sent the screen zooming to 100% on a shot of the intricate wall of the Alhambra taken with the DA70. After the display caught its breath and reassembled, the photo detail was stunning. The DA70 is a contender for sharpest lens I've ever used. However, the other good news is that, unless you zoom in all well-taken and well-processed DSLR photos will any of the lenses or bodies are equally beautiful on the big screen.

I have now loaned my friends my K100d to learn on, and they have me looking for a Pentax DSLR to buy used for their trip. And me, I'm trying to figure out where I'd put a projector. I'd forgotten how great a slideshow looks.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-06-2010 at 06:47 AM.
07-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #48
Veteran Member

The DA limiteds are a fantastic set up those those with weight/size requirements.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Here are some observations about traveling with the K-x/DA Ltd:

1. This has to be the best travel DSLR, ever. The size, especially with the DALtd, let me carry my whole kit in a small, inconspicuous, secure PacSafe camera bag with room for travel items. I also got lots of street shots without drawing attention.
I don't agree with the above however. Well, if you absolutely need the small size/weight advantage of the K-x over the K-7 it may be true. But overall the K-7 is a much superior camera. For street stuff too, the K-7's very damped shutter is fantastic.
07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
The DA limiteds are a fantastic set up those those with weight/size requirements.

I don't agree with the above however. Well, if you absolutely need the small size/weight advantage of the K-x over the K-7 it may be true. But overall the K-7 is a much superior camera. For street stuff too, the K-7's very damped shutter is fantastic.
Your Mileage May Vary. The K-7 is a fine camera, but it is not mainly its weight, but the fact that I have to take a charger and a cord and/or adapter and extra batts with me that discourages my buying it for travel. The cords and chargers for everything you pack add up. Also, the little extra ISO of the K-x is very handy. I'd love to have K-7 features with an option for AA power.

07-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I am about to return home from New Zealand. I will have a more thorough reports on the limited lens and K-x in my trip to New Zealand. The DA 15mm limited is quite outstanding in the trip. I have 15/21/35/70 and a long zoom with Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6. In hindsight, I could have done it with only 15/35/70-300mm and K-x. The 21mm works better on street shooting, night scenes, indoor while the 15mm really takes over in landscape and scenary.

DA 15mm with HDR
hand-held unfortunately

Surprise, just the tamron zoom

Tamron again for birds
New Zealand Fantail

DA 15mm

Pentax DA 15mm f/4.0 limited

Thanks to Gene and Jay for the 15mm recommedation. I will share more when I come back to the states.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-18-2010 at 04:53 PM.
07-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am about to return home from New Zealand. I will have a more thorough reports on the limited lens and K-x in my trip to New Zealand. The DA 15mm limited is quite outstanding in the trip. I have 15/21/35/70 and a long zoom with Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6. In hindsight, I could have done it with only 15/35/70-300mm and K-x. The 21mm works better on street shooting, night scenes, indoor while the 15mm really takes over in landscape and scenary.

Thanks to Gene and Jay for the 15mm recommedation. I will share more when I come back to the states.

Hin
I'm glad it worked for you, and absolutely gorgeous shots.

I don't have the Tamron zoom, but I would have sorely missed by DA70. The level of detail with that lens, even in low light, is astounding. The DA70 and DA21 take up so little space and weight, that I would not be without them. If I had to let go of anything, it would have been my longer zoom, but my travels were more urban than yours. I really enjoyed the indoor abilities of the K-x and DA70.

Now, this may or may not wow anyone standing alone, but in the conditions I took this shot, I can't believe it is this detailed. Below is a full view and a 100% crop of a shot almost wide open inside the Alhambra. K-x DA70 F/3.2 ISO 3200 hand-held in a crowd (Some NR applied):

07-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some 15mm results posted here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...ml#post1111195
07-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I don't have the Tamron zoom, but I would have sorely missed by DA70. The level of detail with that lens, even in low light, is astounding. The DA70 and DA21 take up so little space and weight, that I would not be without them. If I had to let go of anything, it would have been my longer zoom, but my travels were more urban than yours. I really enjoyed the indoor abilities of the K-x and DA70.

Now, this may or may not wow anyone standing alone, but in the conditions I took this shot, I can't believe it is this detailed. Below is a full view and a 100% crop of a shot almost wide open inside the Alhambra. K-x DA70 F/3.2 ISO 3200 hand-held in a crowd (Some NR applied):
Gene, I love the 70mm limited but it just happens that in my trip to NZ, my shots mostly goes for the landscape and hence the less use of 70mm in the trip. The 70mm is sharp and does wonder in portraiture. I tried using the 70mm on sunset photos but I later find the longer zoom to be more flexible. The 70 flare control though good can not match up to the 15mm. The 15 has the crown for best flare control.

All in all, the limited lens are a joy to bring in the trip. Small, compact and big on image quality. And I balance it out with a longer zoom on the Tamron. The DA 55-300mm would have an excellent choice, so is the Sigma 70-300mm, to mix with limited to round out a focal range of 15 to 300mm in traveling. I need the long zoom as some part of my trip involved butterflies and birds from New Zealand.

Waihi Beach in North Island of New Zealand

Last edited by hinman; 07-18-2010 at 04:56 PM.
08-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. The 15 really does make the kit, and I highly recommend it. There were only a few times when I wanted something longer than the 70, and, fortunately, they were in good, outdoor light.
The DA50-200 is very light and compact and takes a very nice photo at >=F8 between 80-180mm. For the few times I needed the longer length, it did the job. One of the nice things about the K-x is that you have to look really hard to see any noise or degradation at ISO 400, so one can shoot the lighter, smaller zooms at their best, and avoid the lugging the heavier, higher quality siblings. As much as I like my DA 55-300, it is larger than all my DA Ltd lenses put together, and would have required me to carry a larger bag. If Pentax would/could make a sharp DA Ltd ~135mm/2.8 around the size of the DA15 (the largest of the series), the DA kit would really be complete.
Hi Gene,

thanks a lot for your observations. Gathering an ideal light kit is gold when travelling

I agree with you about wanting the 35mm along. The 40 weighs so little that I'd probably take it in addition anyway.

I used the 15mm constantly indoors.
You had enough light/high Iso, to use the 15 mm indoor ?

How high Iso did you use with K-x ?

Marc, it's nice that it works out that way for you, but there is nothing exaggerated about my report of this problem. It went from one spot at the beginning of the trip to a whole menagerie in the skies by the end, and it did not respond to air from my rocket blower, or even to a sensor pen.

It is also inaccurate to call it dust, because dust does usually blow away. I usually don't find dust all that big a problem when I'm shooting close to home, but travel seems to bring in more lens changes in less than ideal conditions. There are all sorts of other airborne matter with a sticky or greasy component. This trip's bounty took all three liquid treatments from Visible Dust plus a final blowing to remove.

Marc, it's nice that it works out that way for you, but there is nothing exaggerated about my report of this problem. It went from one spot at the beginning of the trip to a whole menagerie in the skies by the end, and it did not respond to air from my rocket blower, or even to a sensor pen.
It is also inaccurate to call it dust, because dust does usually blow away. I usually don't find dust all that big a problem when I'm shooting close to home, but travel seems to bring in more lens changes in less than ideal conditions. There are all sorts of other airborne matter with a sticky or greasy component. This trip's bounty took all three liquid treatments from Visible Dust plus a final blowing to remove.

Your Mileage May Vary. The K-7 is a fine camera, but it is not mainly its weight, but the fact that I have to take a charger and a cord and/or adapter and extra batts with me that discourages my buying it for travel. The cords and chargers for everything you pack add up. Also, the little extra ISO of the K-x is very handy. I'd love to have K-7 features with an option for AA power.

DA 15mm f/4.0 limited is surprisingly small. Those who love the pancake will love the DA 15 in terms of size and compactness. The following is a side by side with the 21 with hood mounted. It offers the best close up among all the DA limited primes.

GeneV, thanks for all the valuable inputs. I have to thank Jay (or harass him) for his thread and contribution in '15mm controls my mind' yet another lens purchase. The 15 looks awesome especially in traveling light.
Good stuff for sure, just found the thread :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...s-my-mind.html

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-23-2010 at 08:04 AM.
08-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The DA15 can be used well at very slow shutter speeds, which makes up for the relatively small max aperture, especially for travel shots indoors where most of the subjects don't move much.

I used ISO 1600-3200 indoors quite often, and I found the results on the K-x very satisfying. It also worked well at ISO 3200 at night. I very seldom used higher than ISO 3200, even at night. By the end of the trip, I was learning to set it to underexpose the night shots and use a faster shutter speed or lower ISO. At ISO 3200 or higher, the K-x would expose a scene lit by streetlights to be bright as day.
08-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If anything, I find the DA15 the easiest of my lenses to use in low light indoors. You don't need a particularly fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake or subject motion at that focal length and DOF is reasonable at f/4. With ISO maxed out at 1600 on my K200D, I think I probably get a higher keeper ratio with the DA15 at f/4 and 1/15"than I do shooting a "normal" focal length at f/2.8 and 1/30" or my 50 at f/2 and 1/60".
08-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #57
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will say that since acquiring a DA12-24 from Deadwolfbones, that lens has been vying for a spot in my compact kit. It is amazing how quickly one can become addicted to 12mm. I suppose the appeal of sub-15mm should not have been a surprise, given how much I like the M20 on film.