Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Problem with copied images

This, I would guess, is not a Pentax problem, but I'm hoping someone here might know the answer.

Using a USB flash card, I copied images taken with a Kodak digital camera from a laptop into a folder on my computer containing images taken with my Pentax K20D. The Kodak images did not show up, the file designations on all the Pentax images in the folder were changed, and I no longer can open them.

My Pentax file designation is like this: A__1234.jpg. They were replaced with this: ._100_1234.JPG. (Note the dot at the beginning.) The Kodak file designations are like this: P1234567.JPG.
(The Pentax numbers stayed the same. Example: A__4837.jpg was changed to ._100_4837.JPG)

Any ideas on what happened, and how to fix it? Thank you!

Tom

06-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds ugly but fixable with free file/folder batch rename utility....I forget the exact name but can post it later.

Meanwhile, what application or utility did you use to make the copy? If it was a drag/drop or cut/paste, exactly how did you proceed?

What Operating Systems are on the laptop and the other computer?

Looks like it tried to make folder names out of the Pentax pics.
06-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Unusual to say the least. Have you tried renaming the files that begin with the dot to something else? The dot (in windows) Indicates that anything following it is an extension, not the actual file name.

06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Flexible Renamer v8.1 (or 8.3?) is your free friend.

06-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Flexible Renamer v8.1 (or 8.3?) is your free friend.
Thats the one.

Just got back home and didn't even have time to look it up. What a powerful utility. Has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

But would still like Tom to tell us exactly how he copied the pics.
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sounds ugly but fixable with free file/folder batch rename utility....I forget the exact name but can post it later.

Meanwhile, what application or utility did you use to make the copy? If it was a drag/drop or cut/paste, exactly how did you proceed?

What Operating Systems are on the laptop and the other computer?

Looks like it tried to make folder names out of the Pentax pics.
Drag/Drop from a flash card on which the images were copied from a Mac laptop, to the folder on my computer. Others have told me it was the Mac "two-fork" system that caused the problems, and that there is no way to recover my images. I did try an image recovery program to no avail. Thanks to everyone who answered. -- tom
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll try it.
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom C Quote
Others have told me it was the Mac "two-fork" system that caused the problems,
Tom, Macs are never the problem.

Microsoft always is.

06-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom C Quote
Drag/Drop from a flash card on which the images were copied from a Mac laptop, to the folder on my computer. Others have told me it was the Mac "two-fork" system that caused the problems, and that there is no way to recover my images. I did try an image recovery program to no avail. Thanks to everyone who answered. -- tom
The two fork system no longer exists. In the old days mac files had a resource fork, that is no longer the case since the introduction of OS X...there is something else going on.
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

haven't used a Mac for 20 years, but I'd try renaming a file so that it only has one "." in it. It probably doesn't know it's a .jpg cause it thinks it's a ._100_4837

if that works, use the renaming program to fix the rest.

Also, are the files reasonable sizes to be .jpgs (3-5MB or so)