Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
They gave me an estimate of $270.
Did you pay for the camera with a credit card and does that credit card extend the warranty for you?

Thank you
Russell

06-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson Quote
I have both K10 and K7, if I had to throw one away it would be the K7. K10 has better pic quality and just as fast auto focus. K10 also has better build quality.
Wow. Are you trying to kid us..., or yourself??

- AF on the K-7 is significantly faster than the K10. In lower light the K10 won't even lock half the time.
- Build quality is at best equal, but in most cases users (including myself) find the ergonomics of the K-7 better.
- Better pic quality?!? Are you serious? The K10 uses a CCD sensor and the K-7 a cmos sensor and you can see a difference between the two, but the K10 is definitely not "better" in any global sense, in fact the K-7's sensor is significantly better in almost all regards.

I guess you don't like the K-7's 100% viewfinder coverage, vastly improved AWB, significantly improved metering system, amazing lcd screen, lens adjustment capability, much higher FPS, usable ISO 800 & 1600, etc., etc.

The K10 is/was a great camera, but by NO means is it a better camera than the K-7 is. Sorry to burst your bubble.

c[_]
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #18

AF on K7 is not significantly better than K10, if at all.
As for locking focus in low light I have never had a broblem with this in any kind of light.
Build quality, the doors on the K7 are not as well made as on the K10.I do not see how the card door on the K7 can be WR.
K10 pic quality is better at ISO 100/200
!00% viewfinder is better than K10, but this makes no significant difference.
I see no difference in AWB or metering
Lcd screen may be a bit better but this makes no significant difference to picture taking.
The lens adjustment is a big plus, unfortunately I don't need it at the moment.
Higher ISOs is the only area were the K7 significantly out performs the K10.

I am not saying the K7 is a bad cam, it's an excellent one, just not significantly better than the K10.
Possibly a lot of people find this hard to admit after spending so much on it.
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not at all. Pretty much every new Pentax model has been hyped... till the next model come along. Just the way it has been around Pentax forums.

06-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

K10D has lovely low-ISO, and the build quality is great, but I prefer K-7 ergonomics. As for autofocus etc, the K-7 is significantly improved. a_johnson, I would have your K-7 checked if this is not the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
I have a GX10 - clone of k10 - and bought a KX after agonizing over whether i would miss the dual wheel system, the top LCD, see a difference in the viewfinder due to pentamirror etc.

In brief, the answer is I miss none of these features on the GX10. One does not in practice adjust multiple settings with every shot and the system on the KX to make changes is not cumbersome.

The Pentamirror VF is fine, really, and causes no problems. The top LCD is a forgotten feature -it is easier to read settings on the viewing screen anyway.
I disgree with this, well at least for my own needs. Would not give up the second finger wheel, top LCD etc. These are very significant control options. I do in practise change settings continuously, and would find the lack of fast controls a major disadvantage. Would also find the significantly smaller viewfinder a pain.

As for K-x versus K10D, there are a lot of threads discussing this.
As others have said, it comes down to your needs in a camera.
To oversimplify, one is older software/technology in a high class build camera, one is new software/technology in an entry level build camera.
06-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

AF on K7 is not significantly better than K10, if at all.
As for locking focus in low light I have never had a broblem with this in any kind of light.
Build quality, the doors on the K7 are not as well made as on the K10.I do not see how the card door on the K7 can be WR.
!00% viewfinder is better than K10, but this makes no significant difference.
Lcd screen may be a bit better but this makes no significant difference to picture taking.

I am not saying the K7 is a bad cam, it's an excellent one, just not significantly better than the K10.
A-johnson, this is mostly erroneous information. I have used the K10D and K-7 a lot, and this stuff needs to be corrected. I think there might be a problem with your particular K-7 if the info below isn't the case:

"As for locking focus in low light I have never had a broblem with this in any kind of light."
K10D would sometimes hunt a lot and fail to lock. K-7 is significant improvement, esp in low light.

Possibly agree on the doors, but I've seen many examples of the K-7 used in extreme conditions, certainly seems WR to me.

Possibly - some users report this, but I've never had an issue with the K-7 at these ISOs.

100% viewfinder is better than K10, but this makes no significant difference.
Not a huge difference, but an improvement, making the K-7 one of the best viewfinders in APS-C. I much, much prefer bigger viewfinders.

Major, major difference in AWB. Many people report this, and I've certainly found it a LOT more accurate, especially under tungsten or mixed light. Metering is also more accurate on automatic settings.

Personally agree, but some people may find this different.

Agreed, although I've used it a lot.

I would add ergonomics, sound, size, responsiveness and the above mentioned improvements.

Last edited by CWyatt; 06-23-2010 at 01:58 PM.
06-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both and still use both. Side by side.
Your observations are very different from mine.

>AF on K7 is not significantly better than K10, if at all.
>As for locking focus in low light I have never had a broblem with this in any kind of light.

Wrong way around. Tested and busted. See my youtube tests.
My K-7 is SOOOOOO muh better than my K10D.

>Build quality, the doors on the K7 are not as well made as on the K10.I do not see how the card door on the K7 can be WR.
I've used both in pooring rain, deserts, dust, wind, beach.
No issues with the K-7, believe me.
What is missing here is the fact that IF the camera collects dust, the K-7 will loose it while the K10D collects it on the sensor.

>K10 pic quality is better at ISO 100/200
It depends. I like the colors of the K10D in bright sunlight better at ISO 100.
In all other cases the K-7 produces better pictures, colors, less noise.

>!00% viewfinder is better than K10, but this makes no significant difference.
Well, you see what you get, while that is not the case for the K10D...

>I see no difference in AWB or metering
I wonder, have you been using the 2 camera's side by side, at all??
The K10D underexposes much, much more often then getting it right.

>Lcd screen may be a bit better but this makes no significant difference to picture taking.
Well, look for yourself. Also the user interface is so much better.
How about the switch locks on the K-7?, a big source of errors for my K10D...

>The lens adjustment is a big plus, unfortunately I don't need it at the moment.
Wish I had it on my K10D, open aperture pictures would have been so much more IN focus!

>Higher ISOs is the only area were the K7 significantly out performs the K10.
How about frame rate? Lens correction? DR? Video? (Auto) Level, etc??

>I am not saying the K7 is a bad cam, it's an excellent one, just not significantly better than the K10.
Disagree.

>Possibly a lot of people find this hard to admit after spending so much on it.
I'm in the UK regularly, can we swap your K-7 for my K10D?

- Bert
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I faced the same question a year ago, and compromised, I did both, repaired the camera and bought a K7

The camera cost me $325 cdn for new shutter, mirror box and lens mount, plus fully cleaned, in fact so clean it was hard to tell it was not new except for brassing on the strap loops and the serial number. (also shutter count)

overall it was worthwhile, in my opinion, and the camera has a warranty with the repairs (or at least mine did)

06-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I faced the same question a year ago, and compromised, I did both, repaired the camera and bought a K7

The camera cost me $325 cdn for new shutter, mirror box and lens mount, plus fully cleaned, in fact so clean it was hard to tell it was not new except for brassing on the strap loops and the serial number. (also shutter count)

overall it was worthwhile, in my opinion, and the camera has a warranty with the repairs (or at least mine did)
It's like getting a brand new camera, so I would think it is worth it!
Shutter count would be back to almost "0"..but Pentax tests that so it would be more than the ideal "0".