Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Repair k10d or buy K-x or K-7?

Hello, the aperture lever on my k10d recently quit working correctly. When i took a picture, the aperture would stay open at f/1.4, no matter what settings i had the camera set at. I sent the camera in to Pentax (C.R.I.S. camera service in Arizona).

They gave me an estimate of $270.

I can practically buy another k10d for that price. What should I do? Buy a k-x? buy a k-7? I have a pretty tight budget. Would there be features in the k10d that aren't in the k-x?

MANY thanks for those who help me!

06-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
Hello, the aperture lever on my k10d recently quit working correctly. When i took a picture, the aperture would stay open at f/1.4, no matter what settings i had the camera set at. I sent the camera in to Pentax (C.R.I.S. camera service in Arizona).

They gave me an estimate of $270.

Would there be features in the k10d that aren't in the k-x?

MANY thanks for those who help me!
Weather-sealing, 2nd dial, debug-mode, pentaprism...but then again K-x has some features that K10D doesn't like high ISO, HD video, faster AF, faster FPS..etc.
It would all depend on you what you're actually looking for in a camera.
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
GerryL, thanks for your quick response. I understand that the k-x doesn't have weather-sealing, but what do you mean, "2nd dial, debug-mode, pentaprism" could you explain those a little further?
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
GerryL, thanks for your quick response. I understand that the k-x doesn't have weather-sealing, but what do you mean, "2nd dial, debug-mode, pentaprism" could you explain those a little further?
One dial - adjust shutter. Press little button on top to change dial to Av adjustment.
Two dials - one for shutter, one for aperture.
Debug mode - eh, check the manual on line :-)
Pentaprism - brighter than pentamirror viewfinder.

06-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the KX is more or less an amateur camera in terms of setup and buttons/dials which hinders fast adjustments of aperture/exposure.

There are two dials on the k10d, one in the front of the top right grip, and one on the back where your thumb would be near. The Kx only has 1 dial. The two dials make it easy to adjust faster.

im not sure what debug mode is

a pentaprism is a crystal that is used to bounce light from the lens to the eyepiece. basically allowing the user to see what the camera sees. A pentaprism in the k10d allows for a 95% viewing area. The KX doesnt utilize a pentaprism, thus allowing for its smaller size, however the viewing area in the Kx is 85% of the actual picture.

I've thought about getting a Kx as well for the faster AF and high ISO, but then since i'm use to the durability and heft of the k10d, the Kx feels like a cheap plastic toy. I'd also miss the dials and the top lcd.

If you upgrade, go for a used k7.
Hope this helps.
06-16-2010, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1st thing to check see whether the spring was unhooked from that plastic arm. Some people were able to hook it back and keep shooting.
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you can afford it I would buy a used K7 because the K7 is pretty much better than the K10D in every way and like others have said, with the Kx there will be a few trade offs. I personally have the Kx and love the camera but have never owned a K10D so I cannot say whether you will miss the top LCD, 2nd dial, weather sealing etc... but I can say that I think the things you gain from a Kx will outweigh what you lose from the K10D.

06-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

k-x if you want something a little more on a budget (sh 400 on pentaxforums). K7 if you want the real thing ) but around USD 700
06-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Forum Member

I went through the same thing about 6 months ago, but my K10D estimated repair cost was a lot higher and cost was not a significant factor. Your decision should be based on what you use the camera for. The K10D is a very capable camera for many types of photography (e.g. landscape), but is not as good as the new models for low light and kid chasing photography.

I eventually bought both new models - my wife uses the K-x and I use the K7. Between these two, I like the larger viewfinder and extra wheel of the K7 and the auto exposure seems much better on the K7 (we shoot RAW, mostly landscapes and cityscapes). I also like the quality feel of the K7 - like the K10D, but smaller and lighter.

While I like both new models, had I been on a tight budget, I would have stayed with the K10D. Unless you absolutely need the improvements provided by the new models, I recommend you get the K10D repaired. IMO the quality of low-iso photos from the K10D is as good as (some say better than) that of the K7 and K-x)
06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good thread to check out on the differences between the k10 and the Kx
06-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

At $764 from B&H or Amazon, the K7 is an excellent choice. If you need high iso routinely, Kx
06-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #12

get a kx

I have a GX10 - clone of k10 - and bought a KX after agonizing over whether i would miss the dual wheel system, the top LCD, see a difference in the viewfinder due to pentamirror etc.

In brief, the answer is I miss none of these features on the GX10. One does not in practice adjust multiple settings with every shot and the system on the KX to make changes is not cumbersome.

The Pentamirror VF is fine, really, and causes no problems. The top LCD is a forgotten feature -it is easier to read settings on the viewing screen anyway.

The missing focus confirmation light in the middle of the VF is not an issue - the camera beeps when it locks focus and shows a symbol along the bottom of the screen anyway - the red light is a redundant feature - nice to have but adds no real value.

What I like is: better image quality (the famous high iso), but also better resolution, better colour balance, faster focusing, better matrix metering, lower noise signature (definitely better than the GX10 at low iso's forget what others think - one can compare on screen and see the difference) and lighter camera weight making it easier to to tote around all day. I dont use it in the rain so the weather sealing is not an issue. And no VPN at high iso's.

My GX10 is now my second camera for drives into the game reserves with a telephoto on it. I still like it but the KX is used on a daily basis - I didn't do that before with my GX10.
06-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I once had a similar problem with a nikon and I managed to fiz it with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
I'm not sure you have the same problem nor what I did exactly to fix it but it might worth a try before you throw your camera away.
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #14

I have both K10 and K7, if I had to throw one away it would be the K7. K10 has better pic quality and just as fast auto focus. K10 also has better build quality.
06-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson Quote
I have both K10 and K7, if I had to throw one away it would be the K7. K10 has better pic quality and just as fast auto focus. K10 also has better build quality.
You could throw it my way and I would accept it gladly..hey..it's free isn't it??