Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Debug Mode Question about "AF Test Area" values

I've done my searching and the answer to my question seems to elude my best efforts. On my K20D under the TEST MODE menu then AF TEST there is a menu item called AF TEST AREA with values from 0-3. I am assuming these reference 4-sections on the screen. I also am assuming that Area 0 refers to the center area. But this is a complete guess on my part.

If area 0 is the center AF area then the other 3 values would require dividing the rest of the display into 3rds yet exclusive of the center area...maybe?

So, I guess my question is has anyone fiddled with these other areas to see if they can be used to sort of adjust the effective focal plane? My guess would be these areas are used to correct FF/BF issues but in a more comprehensive fashion than just the normal user menu AF Adjustment settings that likely compensate/adjust either the whole focal plane or just the center area.

I have though of :

0 = center AF area (or maybe the focal plane as a whole with the other areas affecting top-bottom left-right tilt. To allow diagonal tilt though that might be silly...heck it's all suposition and could all be silly on my part.
1 = left/right areas
2 = top/bottom area
3 = ummm...????

Of course there is also the CAPTURE/SYSTEM TEST menu item under the TEST MODE menu and it has FIVE areas 0-4 so what these reference I have no clue as to even guess what the heck they test or how to use them.

Soooo, anyone? It would be nice to figure this one out before I turn to dust. I hope it makes some sort of sense and those who know more than I ever will about the working of the whole DEBUG mode thingy.

Oh, I also assume all of these adjustments are not true physical adjustments but rather parameters used by the firmware to process images, both RAW and JPG...the sensor is not physically moved...just had to add this for clarity.

06-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
well, I found the info this time...here is a link to the description describing the purpose of each of these menu items/tests:

"Russian" debug mode for K10D v1.3 - OK to leave it on always? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Just thought I would post I found this one post this time around. still it would be interesting to read if anyone has had the time to waste fiddling with them.