Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Live View Impacts?

I just got my K7 yesterday, so I am looking at features that my K10D (or K100D)does not have, one of which is "Live View". A few questions come to mind...

1. Does live view slow down the picture taking process? I assume the shutter has to be open for the "through the lens" view, and it then has to shut, and then open and shut to take the picture, implying a slight lag before the picture is taken after you push the shutter button - is that right? Is it noticable for time critical shots?
2. Does using live view cause any "faster wear" on the camera and or lens?
3. Have you all found that live view gives you any additional insights in terms of exposure over just using the normal view finder and looking at metering values?
4. More general, what are your findings (pros and cons) of using live view over normal shooting through the view finder.

Thanks in advance from a K7 newbee!

06-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer optical viewfinders, but Liveview has been useful to me in a few applications. I've found it good when shooting very small macro shots with the camera more or less at ground level, and I used it a couple of times to fine tune composition wit my longer telephoto lenses.
It does create a lag, both in AF focusing and when taking the picture. It can also cause the sensor to heat up, which I expect would be detrimental to the image (noise perhaps).
I find it more useful than I thought I would when I first read about it.
06-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the K-7 club. You will not be disappointed.

I do prefer the optical viewfinder and the K-7 has an excellent one. I agree with Wheatfield that Liveview create some lag.

I found Liveview to be too slow for action shots for which I use the optical viewfinder.