Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
I can't say I've ever had a problem like this with my K7 and I shoot in some pretty extrema condition and lighting. I does look like the images has been pushed too far by Picasa.

Do you have the original image as a comparison?
The image is underexposed by 5 stops! Naturally it's going to look like crap - imagine a scene that needs 1/5s for a correct exposure and then expose for 1/300s without changing anything else - that's what's happening here. Frankly I'm amazed that there's much to see at all - the k7's sensor range is only about 11 stops or so, so with -5EV compensation, everything darker than a correctly exposed mid tone will be pegged at black.

kcjacoby - the fact that you posted this as an image with a possible problem clearly shows that you don't understand exposure and the reasons for bracketing. Please spend some time reading up on why you'd want to do exposure bracketing, what a sensible range for different conditions is and, probably, what a correct exposure is in the first place.

06-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
As an aside, every attempt at recording my daughter's birthday party last night in movie-mode on the K7 tanked after ~35 seconds due to overheating. Not in the scorching heat of exotic Hawaii or war-torn Afghanistan, but in my living room. I was sorely disappointed. Guess I'll use an HD camcorder next time...
Hummmm, what SD card are you using? I ask because I just shot a full 8Go card yesterday with my K7, videos clips of about 2-3 minutes each (some reaching 7 minutes), and although the little thermometer warning did appear, it just kept recording... So maybe your problem is rather a faulty SD card.
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

SanDisk class 6. Will try a different card.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Hummmm, what SD card are you using? I ask because I just shot a full 8Go card yesterday with my K7, videos clips of about 2-3 minutes each (some reaching 7 minutes), and although the little thermometer warning did appear, it just kept recording... So maybe your problem is rather a faulty SD card.
06-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
Dom

@ Cuchulainn

Yes the images is technically under exposed.

I still want the original image.

06-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
As an aside, every attempt at recording my daughter's birthday party last night in movie-mode on the K7 tanked after ~35 seconds due to overheating. Not in the scorching heat of exotic Hawaii or war-torn Afghanistan, but in my living room. I was sorely disappointed. Guess I'll use an HD camcorder next time...
I have recorded several times several minutes in 1 go indoors as wel as outdoors in the hot sun with no problems at all.
06-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't think this is a heat problem but poor quality due to the settings of the camera. I couldn't see the camera temperatuur in your exif or did I miss it?

As to heating problems that is possible with moviemode when the camera cannot loose it's produced heat. It goes up (K-7) to iso3200 under low light conditions and produces a good amount of heat wich is no problem in temperatures of 15 degrees celcius or below.
06-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I have recorded several times several minutes in 1 go indoors as wel as outdoors in the hot sun with no problems at all.
So I ran some tests - the card wasn't the SanDisk but rather a Promaster class 6. I distinctly remember buying this brand card at some local camera shop (at a premium) because I was desperate during a shoot. In the K-7's max-movie mode (1536x1024, 30fps, 3:2, 5.5MB/s) the Promaster throttles and chokes after 30-odd seconds. Ditto for 1280x720, 30fps, 16:9, 3.7MB/s. Only VGA works at any length.

Pop in what I originally thought was the SanDisk class 6 and all modes work fine for extended lengths. Same for the much cheaper, but excellent Transcend class 6.
06-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
@ Cuchulainn

Yes the images is technically under exposed.
Not the image as presented - Picasa apparently already brightened it by *5 stops* (EXIF reports compensation was set to -5). Want to see the original? Take what the OP posted, darken it by 5 stops, and presumably you'll be in the ballpark.