Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #1

Pentax K-x over Nikon D5000?

I recently bought the Nikon D5000 for 640 dollars and am having second thoughts. I went to the store thinking I was going to leave with the Pentax K-X but left with the Nikon after talking to the salesman who convinced me I'd get more 'bang for my buck'.

I was leaning more towards the Pentax because of its small size, great reviews and durability. (Price was not the biggest deciding factor because it was only $40 less than the Nikon).

The salesman made a note that Nikon offered a larger vary of lenses, however, I am only an amateur dslr photographer and to be completely honest, I don't think I'll be upgrading lenses in the future. (1 or 2 more lenses max.)

Lastly, both cameras do offer the video feature which I do like, though I've read and watched comparison videos and I am more impressed with the Pentax.

Bottom line- should I listen to my gut and get the Pentax? I know the Nikon is a great camera, but for the purposes I'll be using my dslr for I am afraid I 'overpurchased'.

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

06-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is quite a big thread on this already: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/79885-k-x-over-d5000-am-i-wrong.html

Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nikon D5000 is a good camera but unfortunately does not AF (autofocus) with older (read cheaper) lenses. That was the main point that directed me to search elsewhere a few months ago when I have purchased my first DSLR. I know you don't foresee buying other lenses but I am quite sure that sooner or later you'll want to have other options.

I like the articulated screen in the D5000 but other than that the K-x is as good or even better on any other feature and the availability of cheap and interesting lenses is indeed very nice.
06-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Nikon D5000 is a good camera but unfortunately does not AF (autofocus) with older (read cheaper) lenses. That was the main point that directed me to search elsewhere a few months ago when I have purchased my first DSLR. I know you don't foresee buying other lenses but I am quite sure that sooner or later you'll want to have other options.

I like the articulated screen in the D5000 but other than that the K-x is as good or even better on any other feature and the availability of cheap and interesting lenses is indeed very nice.
The % or # of people who buy a new DSLR and use or intend to use older lenses is vanishingly small, especially amongst younger converts to the DSLR.

As a sales point to some, it';s an issue, but as force majeur in the market, it's really a non-factor.

I've used both and the Nikon has its advantages and dis. Size is a major dis, but it does AF faster with = accuracy. Nicer flash and menu system as well. Illuminated AF points is factor as the K-x went backwards here.

06-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cm9210 Quote
I recently bought the Nikon D5000 for 640 dollars and am having second thoughts. I went to the store thinking I was going to leave with the Pentax K-X but left with the Nikon after talking to the salesman who convinced me I'd get more 'bang for my buck'.

I was leaning more towards the Pentax because of its small size, great reviews and durability. (Price was not the biggest deciding factor because it was only $40 less than the Nikon).

The salesman made a note that Nikon offered a larger vary of lenses, however, I am only an amateur dslr photographer and to be completely honest, I don't think I'll be upgrading lenses in the future. (1 or 2 more lenses max.)

Lastly, both cameras do offer the video feature which I do like, though I've read and watched comparison videos and I am more impressed with the Pentax.

Bottom line- should I listen to my gut and get the Pentax? I know the Nikon is a great camera, but for the purposes I'll be using my dslr for I am afraid I 'overpurchased'.

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
My fiancee bought a D3000, she has and always will be a Nikon fan. I myself am a Pentax fan due to the backwards compatibility, built in SR etc. Now the thing is, both are great cameras. I would get the K-X for that fact that it has in body shake reduction, so every lens you are going to purchase will have that feature. With Nikon, you have to opt to buy the VR version which is more expensive. True they have more lenses, but when you look at it, many of them are repeats, 18-55 DX, 18-55 DX VR version. You get the point. On their bargain prime, which is an excellent lens, does not come with VR (the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8). So that hampers low light photography. It really is up to you. As mentioned Nikon flash system is great! I use the Nikon speedlite Sb-28 as my main flash with the Pentax AF 280T for back up. No camera is "too much" both cameras will grow with you. It's a matter of what you want in your camera and how you feel about it. And since it's your camera, choose the one that makes you happy!
06-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The D5000 is a very capable entry-level DSLR. Personally, if I were starting out I wouldn't swap (especially if I was going to lose $$ returning the Nikon) unless 1) there was some critical feature unique to the Pentax, or 2) I planned on investing a lot of glass and knew I would ultimately want to upgrade to a higher-end Pentax system.

I went with K-x primarily because of the features/price and compatibility with lenses from my old K1000 (which, admittedly isn't worth that much anyway). Since then I've upgraded to the K-7.

As the Greek comic playwright mentioned, you'll lose the visible AF points. Also, the D5000 is much quieter (if that matters any) and has an articulated screen (I think).
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Go pentax

Take it back and get the KX I had the D3000 just a big point and shoot to me the D5000 is just a step up. My daughter has the KX it's a beauty so much more to offer besides using the old glass built in shake reduction. I sold my D3000 and got a like new K100d with only 1'400 shots on it best move I made. P.S Great Site
06-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It is definitely not just a 40 dollar difference. Amazon is selling the black version for under 500 and the white for slightly more.

I think the D5000 is a wonderful camera, but if I had to do it over, I would choose the K-X all over again. Plus I would save almost 160 dollars after tax. =D

06-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The % or # of people who buy a new DSLR and use or intend to use older lenses is vanishingly small, especially amongst younger converts to the DSLR.
Great point. Im 16, and have a lens collection I would never be able to achieve if it wasn't for Pentax's older lens compatibility. If it wasn't for forums like this, I don't think I'd be even shooting anymore and if I was it would be with the kit lens

but yes, everyone in my generation is obsessed with the new greatest AF lens from Nikon or Canon. I get a good laugh after showing people my age some of my old M/K lenses and seeing their reaction
06-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
if you're into photography and have never picked up old legacy manual focus lenses, you will regret it.
06-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #11

get a Canon 550D instead
06-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #12

The Nikon d5000 is a great and capable camera, theres no doubt about it, and if your a real novice then I think its a better choice. I was debating these two cameras as well.

But I picked the KX and this is why.
1. Built in autofocus motor in the KX. means you dont have to buy more expensive lenses that have a AF motor, and means you get AF support for older lenses.
2. In camera image stabilizer- Means no matter what lens you put on the KX, it will have IS, even if its 60 years old! D5000 only has this with lenses with IS, also means its more expensive.
3. Pentax K mount- means you will be able classic old lenses which are very affordable and just as good or better then many new lenses.
3. Low noise performance- its crazy how little noise this camera has even up to 3200iso. The D5000 aslo has low noise images but its noise reduction system makes imagines much softer and loses detail.
4.Targets more advanced photographers- with the D5000 To change aperture, shutter speed, white balance, its pretty much all done through the menu and not really through hard buttons which is annoying for me. the KX has more hard buttons which makes it quicker for you to change settings so you dont lose a picture moment. I like that the KX has the legendary green button which you can customize for many things. I like to use it for spot metering when Im in M mode.

That said, there is more products, as in lenses and third-party accessories, for Nikon cameras, no doubt. Nikkor lenses are tremendous and more variety then the DA series pentax glass.

Its up to you, but if you want a camera that will grow with you and your skills for years to come, then yeah the KX is a better choice. If you have a job unlike me, then the D5000 is great for now and you can just upgrade later to a D90 replacement or d300 replacement.

But remember, It's not the bow, It's the Indian!

Last edited by szurinaga; 06-17-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Clarifing my reason number 4