Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

old lenses and DSLR

I'm a disabled older man (read limited income), who, twenty years ago, enjoyed amateur photography. It got to be a whole lot of fun after I acquired a Ricoh K-5 Super SLR. And added a little glass: this Sears 60-300mm zoom , and this 28 mm 2.8 Kalimar. Neither of which are outstanding lenses, but together with the Ricoh through-the-lens experience they afforded adequate versatility and an image capture ability light years removed from point and shoot.

As I became aware of digital imaging, and prices got cheaper, my SLR and lenses found themselves in the closet. And I found myself using a little 10 MP Casio. But, I never forgot the magic allure, the what you see-is what you get, versatility of SLR photography and multiple lenses. I longed for the day I could marry the two experiences, digital imaging & the glass that I already own.

I am on the verge of taking the plunge. Yet, I pause to consider the multitude of technology and features I would be sacrificing to use the K mount lenses on this camera. Maybe, I should just bite the bullet and buy this camera with the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses.

My disability is basically a fine motor one, so the aforementioned (links) Ricoh-Penax pin fix, is daunting, but probably not impossible. Though, I might seek some sure-handed help.

I apologize for taking so much of your time and space with this long-winded description of my conundrum.

But, if anyone reading this post could offer a perspective, insight, or suggestion, it would be much appreciated

Last edited by nelsh; 06-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Practically speaking, it might be wise for you to get a DSLR with the kit lens (18-55). That would give you a matched system to use and learn with actually a lot of range. I can't speak to the Ricoh pin issue but, I think it's important to learn to use the new system first before attempting to use the older lenses. No doubt they are manual focus and it can be a bit tricky dealing with the metering on some of the older lenses (it works but I wouldn't want that to be my out of the box first experience). If you have the cash to get the 55-300 (it's a great lens too), sure why not? But I'd start simple and learn to use the camera and kit lens and be prepared to spend some money on post process ing software.

$0.02
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Agree with blackcloudbrew...you should get at least one of the kit lenses, or a higher grade DA series lens if you're interested in optimum image quality. As lens technology progresses, other things have regressed. The viewfinder on my K-7 is pretty tough to use with old MF lenses, and I've got 20/20 vision. They expect you to rely on the AF systems, so if you like to manually focus alot, a replacement focusing screen like the KatzEye is almost a must have item.
06-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consider an istD or istDS. They're very inexpensive at $100-200, with a bigger and brighter viewfinder than even the newest K-x. They're also smaller and easier to handle. 6 megapixels is enough for most people, even if they refuse to admit it. You will need a Tenpa 1.2x or 1.3x ($45) viewfinder along with at least a Jinfinance split screen ($30) so the prices do add up.

Auto focus is great and all but if you're talking about having a blast and the magic allure of photography, manual focus is the way to go.

06-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forget those lenses you have. Not worth it.
06-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 28 could be fun to have, but no way will it replace the utility of the 18-55, and since it's almost more expensive to *not* get the 18-55, that's a no-brainer decision. But having the Sears 60-300 might mean you don't mean to spring for one of the telephoto lenses. No doubt the DA55-300 is much much better than the Sears 60-300, but while you'll never get the 55-300 *cheaper* than as part of the kit, you *can* still get it (or another cheaper telephoto zoom that will also be better than the 60-300) later. So I say, get the kit with the 18-55 only if you want to save a bit of money upfront.