Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

K7 Blinking F

I am completely new to real photography of any sort, so forgive my ignorance and please speak non-jargon language.

I just purchased a K7 with a Sigma DG 28-300 lens. I put the lense on, turned the camera on and then followed the basic setup instructions. Once I completed that all I get is a flashing F--- and I can not take any pictures. I have tried turning the camera to every different mode, but still just the same thing.

I saw reference to the flashing F in other posts, but those had to do with using the camera with an older manual lens. But this is a brand new auto lens.

My fear is that the lens is actually not compatible with the camera and I got duped by the sales guy. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

06-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #2

Original Poster
K7 with Sigma DG 28-300mm

I just purchased the K7 with the Sigma lense and all I can get is a flashing F in the display, it will not let me take any pics. Any help?

note: I am a complete newbie so please keep it simple.

Thanks,
06-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Make sure the aperture on the lens is set to 'A'. That should take care of the problem.
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Nope. I had already checked that, doesn't help.

06-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This thread is a duplicate of another. I'd suggest keeping replies to the other thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/105046-k7-sigma-dg-28-300-a.html
06-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brooksy, the flashing F___ means that the camera cannot read the aperature information from the lens. It literally cannot 'see' the F stop.

The sigma should provide this information, so there is something wrong.

Either the lens is not mated properly to the camera or the camera or lens contacts are faulty. Have you tried a different lens on the camera? If so and the F showed up properly then the fault is with the lens, if the fault stayed with the camera ( the flashing F stys regardless of the lens) then the camera needs replacing.

Either way, re-mount the lens, and if it is still flashing F___ then a trip back to the camera shop is in order.
06-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you tried reseating the lens? Are both body and lens new? (If not, perhaps the contacts on one or other are dirty and need cleaning?)

I've not seen this myself before but have read of the problem happening due to poor electrical contacts between body and lens.

06-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Brooksy, the flashing F___ means that the camera cannot read the aperature information from the lens. It literally cannot 'see' the F stop.

The sigma should provide this information, so there is something wrong.

Either the lens is not mated properly to the camera or the camera or lens contacts are faulty. Have you tried a different lens on the camera? If so and the F showed up properly then the fault is with the lens, if the fault stayed with the camera ( the flashing F stys regardless of the lens) then the camera needs replacing.

Either way, re-mount the lens, and if it is still flashing F___ then a trip back to the camera shop is in order.
I think before suggesting that anybody send the camera back or having it serviced, you should suggest the part in the manual about Allow Aperture Ring in the menus. Page 294. That, or making sure that the Aperture ring is set to the A position.

06-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeff, My first thought was about the a position of the aperture ring, so I had a look at the Sigma site before I posted this answer. The lens doesn't appear to have an aperture ring.

28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
06-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It might help to read the existing replies before posting. This thread was a duplicate of another thread, as I already noted. If you'd hopped over to the other thread as suggested, it already had replies -- and the suggestions here (check the aperture ring, and check the contacts) had already been made by others.
06-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sticky here:

Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com
06-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to all, and sorry for the duplicate thread, that was an accident. I think I need to take wizofox's advice and bring it back as I have already tried all other suggestions with no luck. Thanks.
06-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #13

I have the same issues with both my Sigma 105 and Sigma 70-300.
Both are working fine with my K10.

If you end up finding something, please post answer.
I'll do the same if I do.

Namaste
Althor
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've merged the threads. Sorry, aside from thinking it must be a problem with the aperture contacts, I have no ideas.