Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
On the issue of viewfinder, I have had excellent results with the KPS Viewfinder w/eyecup.
The KPS sounds interesting. Where did you buy it? I googled KPS eyepiece and did not find any for Pentax.

06-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
cut...
I am not sure there is a full microprism screen or even a lens with just a microprism dot available, just collars around a split image
There's a nikon screen that has microprism over the entire screen, it is the "Type H" (i'm seraching for one) and come in 4 optimized variant dependig on lens FL and aperture.
There are also screen wich have only the central part with microprism instead of split image. (Ex. nikon "Type J")
But i'm talking about "old" screen for film camera that needed to be adapted to fit modern DSLR, i don't know if ther're "new" screens filled with microprism.
06-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
In the bad old film days I used to have all my LX bodies loaded up with SE-60 bright all matt screens, virtually any fast lens was a joy to focus using those and the lack of distractions was a real plus. However none of the Pentax DSLR finder come remotely close to the quality/view of the LX finder which makes manual focus pretty much hit and blur for me. I really think that a screen with manual focus aids is a must and probably will be so long as Pentax DSLRs remain 24x16mm format.

Pentax screens for LX: review by Rob Studdert (Eng)
Agree about the topnotch view through the LX finder. For some reason, manufacturers today seem to think that being able to see the subject isn't as important as it used to be.
06-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wife and I both like Katzeye screens.
I've experimented with a host of other screens(a few from focusingscreens.com) but we always end-up settling on the Katzeye when all is said and done. I think it's the optibright treatment that offsets the issue of light loss that makes it stand out the most. And it also seems to do a pretty good job with the DOF queue. Though I don't think I've ever seen a screen that was very accurate with DOF and I think I read this has something to do with the nature of the viewfinder as opposed to what the sensor sees.

As for the split prism, my wife actually owned a film camera that had only the prism collar on it, but it turned out to be not so accurate.

TBH. I really like the split prism option and though I don't always use it, it doesn't seem to get in the way.
John, I hope you're right. I just bit the bullet and spent $168 on a little piece of flimsy plastic called the Katzeye with optibrite. Already, I have a sinking feeling in my stomach. I hope the money is worth it.

I find my current split prism screen (Jin Finance) very distracting. I often focus on the matte section in the corner instead. I think the Katzeye's split prism is probably the most discreet of all. If not, I'm buying the all-microprism screen from Nikon to file down to Pentax size....

06-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bnorikane Quote
The KPS sounds interesting. Where did you buy it? I googled KPS eyepiece and did not find any for Pentax.
Try here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/KPS-UCC-Eyepiece-Eyecup-Set-Canon-Nikon-Pentax-Fuji-/2805...item414fce8c48

I purchase all of mine off eBay

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
John, I hope you're right. I just bit the bullet and spent $168 on a little piece of flimsy plastic called the Katzeye with optibrite. Already, I have a sinking feeling in my stomach. I hope the money is worth it.

I find my current split prism screen (Jin Finance) very distracting. I often focus on the matte section in the corner instead. I think the Katzeye's split prism is probably the most discreet of all. If not, I'm buying the all-microprism screen from Nikon to file down to Pentax size....
I know it's alot of money and I felt the exact same way you do now when I ordered my first one as well. That was 4 screens ago now and I have never regretted any of them. The only thing I would recommend to you now(if you haven't already) is to order the shims(washers) from Pentax. They don't cost much money at all and it really helps keep things clean and proper.

PS. the average Katzeye screen is around 260.00 with exchange and customs to Canada.
06-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ordered a jinfinance screen and found it almost useless. The quality was very poor and the center split prism was pressed into the screen off center. I would avoid those although some have had good ones. For the 25 bucks or so, its not a big loss and maybe worth it if you get a good one but mine was junk. I use the focus confirmation (green hex, not the red square) when I manually focus and use trap focus a lot. I get my best results with trap focus and I have been getting pretty good with it. All the shots of my daughters graduation were done with an M135 and I had only a couple of deletes. I have considered the Katzeye but it is a little pricey (a quality product is never cheap) and using trap focus gets me by without the split screen.
06-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #22

I got no problems shooting MF using the standard K-7 viewfinder.

I just rely a little more on the red square to lock and and the camera to beep when I have focus, then a micro adjust as needed.

I tested myself against an AF lens and I'm finding that I'm only a second or so slower. not to mention that at least 90% of my pics are in focus now, where I want the focus to be.

06-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
Manual focus with the stock focus screen is not very easy, so I assume that the people who claim manual focus is fun and quick must be using custom focus screens. Is that a fair assumption?
It's definitely fun, but I don't think many claim it's all that quick. I don't use one, but I will one day.

You see, I remember shooting film SLRs that all had screens, and my focus was STILL horrible. It's just not something I'm good at. And for many (like me), the screen can be a distraction, and I could hardly properly read the correct focus in the first place.

I rely on my confirmation beep and hexagon now, using single focus point.
06-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You are, as usual, correct Ira. I was a printer for many years. I go far enough back that I have spent many hours standing in front of California Job Cases hand setting type.
Do you remember E Gauges and Haber Rules?

Those might have come out AFTER hand-set type, when the first computerized systems appeared. Galleys only at first, and you still had to strip up the pages.

I worked on the Atex system for RR Donnelley, in the their magazine pre-press division. It was a profit center that did the typesetting for Billboard and Ziff-Davis magazines, later to become CBS Publishing.
06-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither of those ring a bell. Handset type was set into a composing stick. The type locked into a chase that fit in the press.
06-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote

I feel your pain. I recently got my camera back from KatzEye. I sent it to them to install my screen because they only charge $60 to do it, they calibrate your manual focus to the screen and they clean the mirror box. Plus, you get 5% off your total order when you have them do it. Seemed like the way to go to me. I didn't have to worry about scratching the screen or getting dust in there or shimming. I got it back in about a week and they did a great job. With the extra shipping and insurance I had to pay, it ended up costing me about $270. I know, that's a lot for a focus screen, but I'd do it again in a minute. The peace of mind I got for that $100 or so was well worth it to me.
06-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Try here: KPS UCC Eyepiece Eyecup Set for Canon Nikon Pentax Fuji on eBay.ca (item 280511810632 end time 24-Jun-10 00:48:39 EDT)

I purchase all of mine off eBay
I know it's alot of money and I felt the exact same way you do now when I ordered my first one as well. That was 4 screens ago now and I have never regretted any of them. The only thing I would recommend to you now(if you haven't already) is to order the shims(washers) from Pentax. They don't cost much money at all and it really helps keep things clean and proper.

PS. the average Katzeye screen is around 260.00 with exchange and customs to Canada.
$260 is far too much for a Katzeye. At least now I know I can always resell my Katzeye to someone in Canada if I don't like it...

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but there has to be a focusing screen from Nikon that has the same thin DOF and brightness for $20-40.

Don't forget the Tenpa 1.3x viewfinder, people. It's a solid, high quality product. It's a few dollars more and the rubber eyecup is better.
06-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
I got no problems shooting MF using the standard K-7 viewfinder.
Ditto me and I'm 68. When I got back into photography three years ago, I assumed it would be AF all the way based on my frustrations in the past but, to my amazement and delight, I really have no problem with MF (except when I screw it up ;~) and have added several mf lenses to my kit.
06-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Have the Katzeye, feel it and opti-brite 'come in to its own' when optical
preview is used on K20, have a M300/4,non-ED-glass, it will exibit a
little CA & flare if Im not careful, in past have been able to engage O.P.,
maybe close up apeture another half stop or so and see it minimized,
in the viewfinder. Ive tried same with OEM screen and just cant see it.
John Bee and Lowell say it best, not a 'cure-all' but a additional
means of confirmation.

One thing I have noticed with Katzeye is that etched lines on screen seem
to hold more debris(dust, etc,) than original screen, Im curious if folks using
screens from other sources have same thing.
06-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #30
Nubi

It is fun, but for me it does not have to be quick. I can see in certain type of photography that quickness is of paramount importance. I am content sitting in one spot, taking multiple shots until I get one right. That is where the fun is for me.