Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is it
K7 Focus

I want one for the K20d But apparetnly they don't make one.

06-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting. I rely on the standard focusing screen and the O-ME53 magnifier. Then I just look for micro changes in air density in the area I want to focus on.

Custom focusing screens sound interesting, but what makes me skeptical is that I don't really find the ones in film cameras to help me more than the ones we now have on DSLRs.

I don't do that well with AF with focal lengths under 40mm though. If I can't see fine details, I can't focus accurately.
06-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
Manual focus with the stock focus screen is not very easy
I disagree. I Manual focus 100% of the time with my K7, and I only miss focus on maybe 2 out of a hundred shots, which is a better ratio than just about any camera I've had in the past 35 years. In fact it's probably the thing I love most about the K7. I only use one lens, and it's a nice bright sharp one, so that's part of the equation, but I give most of the credit to the K7's viewfinder and the stock screen. With the DA35 it's a wonderful manual focus camera. I don't have great eyesight either - I'm 50 years old and have good distance vision, but my close-up vision is fading. And I don't use the beep or the confirmation light either - both are turned off the way I've got it set up. I've got auto focus set up to work when I press the AF button on the back of the camera, but I haven't touched it in 4 or 5 months.

Maybe it's just me, or the fact that I'm becoming pretty well practiced with the single lens that I use, but I think manual focus with the stock screen is first rate.
06-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
Maybe it's just me, or the fact that I'm becoming pretty well practiced with the single lens that I use, but I think manual focus with the stock screen is first rate.
It's not just you. I think it's a matter of practice and most people don't have the patience for it these days.

This is why I don't care to change the stock screen - I don't think I'd improve anything.

06-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It's not just you. I think it's a matter of practice and most people don't have the patience for it these days.

This is why I don't care to change the stock screen - I don't think I'd improve anything.
Well that's a somewhat arrogant comment. It has nothing to do with patience. Having the Katzeye makes my K7 feel like that much more of a precision instrument, and if you didn't say that it made at least some improvement in your MF accuracy and/or speed, you'd either be in a tiny minority or you'd be lying. There's almost no way it wouldn't improve. It just makes MF that much more pleasurable.
06-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Well that's a somewhat arrogant comment. It has nothing to do with patience. Having the Katzeye makes my K7 feel like that much more of a precision instrument, and if you didn't say that it made at least some improvement in your MF accuracy and/or speed, you'd either be in a tiny minority or you'd be lying. There's almost no way it wouldn't improve. It just makes MF that much more pleasurable.
Of course it wouldn't make a scrap of difference using a kit zoom and even the DA35 isn't too bad to focus on my K-x. But using the A50/1.2, A85/1.4, 31/1.8 or 77/1.8 or even any of the slower wide angles in low light is a simply a nightmare using the standard screens. Pop any of those same lenses on the LX with a descent screen and focus is a breeze in the same light, fitting a DSLR with a focus aid screen improves things but still nothing like a decent finder.
06-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Did you buy without lens too? Without lens there shouldn't be any magnification, I searched the his store and found he is not selling any lens for this eye piece.
06-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Did you buy without lens too? Without lens there shouldn't be any magnification, I searched the his store and found he is not selling any lens for this eye piece.
Hi, tbh. I had no idea they sold these without lenses(most interesting). However... I just searched eBay quickly and picked one off the top.

FTR. Here is the last place(seller/item) I purchased my KPS from:

UK KPS 1.3x Magnifying Eyepiece PENTAX K10D K20D K200D on eBay (end time 13-Jul-10 17:40:20 BST)

This is the eyepiece I'm currently using on my K20 atm.

06-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi, tbh. I had no idea they sold these without lenses(most interesting). However... I just searched eBay quickly and picked one off the top.

FTR. Here is the last place(seller/item) I purchased my KPS from:

UK KPS 1.3x Magnifying Eyepiece PENTAX K10D K20D K200D on eBay (end time 13-Jul-10 17:40:20 BST)

This is the eyepiece I'm currently using on my K20 atm.
Thanks,

So you've purchased the one with lens, does it block the info (i.e shutter, f number and such information) below the viewfinder?
06-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Thanks,

So you've purchased the one with lens, does it block the info (i.e shutter, f number and such information) below the viewfinder?
I found that this depends greatly on your position with respect to the eyecup.
If you position your eye loosely against it, then you will not see the bottom section without looking downward. However, if you press the eyecup well against your eye(good seal) then you'll see the entire matrix.
06-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Having the Katzeye makes my K7 feel like that much more of a precision instrument, and if you didn't say that it made at least some improvement in your MF accuracy and/or speed, you'd either be in a tiny minority or you'd be lying. There's almost no way it wouldn't improve. It just makes MF that much more pleasurable.
Maybe you're right, but from what I read about KatzEye screens, I don't see how they'd help me. I already mentioned this in my previous post. It's skepticism, not arrogance - does saying this make me arrogant? I'm confused now.
06-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I found that this depends greatly on your position with respect to the eyecup.
If you position your eye loosely against it, then you will not see the bottom section without looking downward. However, if you press the eyecup well against your eye(good seal) then you'll see the entire matrix.
I have found that to be the case with the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyecup as well.
06-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Guess it's not working with K-7, I asked the seller but the answer was with typos.

Q: Does it fit to Pentax K-7 ?
A: hi, it is nopt work with K7

Guess he is saying NO!.

Wondering if anyone tried with K-7 here.

KPS 1.3x Magnifying Eyepiece for PENTAX K200D K10D K20D - eBay (item 400061158679 end time Jul-06-10 09:20:13 PDT)
06-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Maybe you're right, but from what I read about KatzEye screens, I don't see how they'd help me. I already mentioned this in my previous post. It's skepticism, not arrogance - does saying this make me arrogant? I'm confused now.
No, the arrogance comes from the implication that those of us with focusing screens got them because we lack the patience to learn how to focus without them. If you don't want one, then that's fine, but there's no need to insult those of us who like them.
06-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

No, the arrogance comes from the implication that those of us with focusing screens got them because we lack the patience to learn how to focus without them. If you don't want one, then that's fine, but there's no need to insult those of us who like them.
It's not a formal implication, it's an opinion based on the observation that most people preferring custom focusing screens were looking for a similar experience they had with their film SLRs. When I got my first DSLR, I also thought it was weird to not have a focusing aid, but now, after getting used to it, I find that focusing screens in film SLRs are actually making it trickier for me to focus with them. So, I think it's really a matter of habit and eye training.

Now, of course, you can try to change my opinion by telling me your side of the story - how much did you try the standard focusing screen, what was missing for you, what benefits are you deriving from the KatzEye? This information would be helpful to anyone I think.