Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Maybe you're right, but from what I read about KatzEye screens, I don't see how they'd help me. I already mentioned this in my previous post. It's skepticism, not arrogance - does saying this make me arrogant? I'm confused now.
I've never dropped the bucks for the Katzeye, but the split image JinFinance for under $40 made a world of difference in the K10/20d.

06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've never dropped the bucks for the Katzeye, but the split image JinFinance for under $40 made a world of difference in the K10/20d.
Is there a discussion anywhere about the reason why DSLRs seem to be creating focussing difficulties for users whereas even average film SLRs did not excite such comment? Is it that the enlargement possible on monitors for any digital picture is showing up errors which could not be seen in film enlargements for reasons of expense? To my mind it is a little more than that because digital scans of film are also enlargeable. The smaller apparent viewfinder of the DSLR seems to be part of the reason; the lack of brightness compared to film SLRs seems to be another part. Once there is consensus among designers and advertisers in a company - in this case that current DSLR viewfinders are good enought - it becomes very difficult to change the prevailing orthodoxy; or heresy!
06-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

It's not just you. I think it's a matter of practice and most people don't have the patience for it these days.

This is why I don't care to change the stock screen - I don't think I'd improve anything.
You just keep dancing around the fact that you absolutely implied that those of us with focusing screens are impatient. I am not here to be a fanboy for KatzEye. Buy one, don't buy one, I really don't care either way. I just took exception to your arrogance, and I'm quite through arguing with you about this. Why not try owning up to what you said and saying, "sorry, didn't mean it that way" or something along those lines?
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chhayanat Quote
Is there a discussion anywhere about the reason why DSLRs seem to be creating focussing difficulties for users whereas even average film SLRs did not excite such comment? Is it that the enlargement possible on monitors for any digital picture is showing up errors which could not be seen in film enlargements for reasons of expense? To my mind it is a little more than that because digital scans of film are also enlargeable. The smaller apparent viewfinder of the DSLR seems to be part of the reason; the lack of brightness compared to film SLRs seems to be another part. Once there is consensus among designers and advertisers in a company - in this case that current DSLR viewfinders are good enought - it becomes very difficult to change the prevailing orthodoxy; or heresy!
I think this is an issue with AF film bodies as well. It is one of the reasons I did not take my ZX-L on my recent vacation. I find it less enjoyable to focus manually with the pentamirror and no aids.

06-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #50
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
You just keep dancing around the fact that you absolutely implied that those of us with focusing screens are impatient. I am not here to be a fanboy for KatzEye. Buy one, don't buy one, I really don't care either way. I just took exception to your arrogance, and I'm quite through arguing with you about this. Why not try owning up to what you said and saying, "sorry, didn't mean it that way" or something along those lines?
Let it go, okay?
06-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I tried both a magnifying cup and a split screen. Now maybe they just happened to be crap quality, but I prefer the stock screen with no magnifier. Might be my rather odd eyes too.
06-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I've recently noticed these Pentax focusing screens for K-7 on B&H: KE-60, ML-60, and MI-60. Does anyone know if these are similar to the default one?

From their descriptions, the K10D and K20D screens that are also available on B&H seem to be either replacements of the default screen or similar to the default one but with different markings. But I can't figure out these two - their descriptions don't say much. The KE-60 in particular seems to be different from the other two, as it is advertised just for MF.
06-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

I started shooting Pentax cameras with the original plain matte screen. I, personally, cannot stand having split diagonals or microprism aids in the middle of my screen, making it hard for me to see the subject clearly, and in the case of using spot metering, fouling the metering up as well.

I changed my focus screen to the LL-60 (*ist series, with grid) to correct the exposure problems with my M series lenses, and it did that. It also darkened the viewfinder slightly, which I think is why it meters more accurately compared the the new screens with the brightening system. The second thing I noticed was that I now have the screen grain showing, as it used to show in the older cameras, and that helps me with the focusing. I added the O-ME53 magnifier, and that helps the focusing by making the image slightly larger.

Over the last weekend, I went to Waterton Lakes National Park in the trailer with my wife, and found that focusing with the M 400 and the F 1.7AF is absolutely super easy if there is a branch at my focusing target distance from the camera. I can focus within very tiny deviation from true focus using the Chromatic Aberration! A little past the subject I get the purples, and too close I get the greens. Perfect focus comes when they are both invisible. Strange, but true.

06-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
those of us with focusing screens are impatient.
This is quite a common position actually...

ie. We don't need FPS, we just have to learn how to get the shot the first time.

However, reality states that shots don't wait and thus FPS becomes a valuable convenience.
Of course no one is stopping anyone else from shooting pinhole camera's too! But going around imposing attitude onto those looking to improve things is hardly appropriate.

I see split screens in the very same category.
Yes... we can and do live without them.
However... as with most every feature found on the modern day DSLR's, split screens are just one more convenience aimed at helping people get every last bit out of their gear.

If anything we should be happy for those taking the initiative to help develop and improve things in our everyday lives.

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-22-2010 at 07:28 AM.
06-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I can focus within very tiny deviation from true focus using the Chromatic Aberration! A little past the subject I get the purples, and too close I get the greens. Perfect focus comes when they are both invisible. Strange, but true.
Can you see the LoCA in the viewfinder?
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you see the LoCA in the viewfinder?
Yes. It was wild. It does take a very high contrast situation. Using the 1.7X, of course, the amount of CA that appeared was quite high. This is not PF but the CA that appears against out of focus objects.
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #57

I kept my stock screen, also I try to get the image as sharp as possible while ignoring the green hexagon. At apertures f4 and up its really hard to miss focus, when using 2 or lower I do miss focus once in a while.
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

I started shooting Pentax cameras with the original plain matte screen. I, personally, cannot stand having split diagonals or microprism aids in the middle of my screen, making it hard for me to see the subject clearly, and in the case of using spot metering, fouling the metering up as well.
Can I say "Amen!"?

I can focus within very tiny deviation from true focus using the Chromatic Aberration! A little past the subject I get the purples, and too close I get the greens. Perfect focus comes when they are both invisible. Strange, but true.
and to that as well--I've used that trick with my older lenses , too. ;~)
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #59
Veteran Member

spots

a bit off subject, but mine has begun to show spots (essentially brownish/blackish areas in the top right-hand 1/5 of view). I tried to clean it with a lens pen but that didn't change anything. I had never taken it off prior to this. Any clue what happened?

I'm in the market (I guess) for a new one, so the discussions on this thread are valuable. Thank you to everyone for your insight.
06-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #60
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a KatzEye. I took it out and put the original back in.
The KatzEye functioned exactly as it was supposed to, but my eyes no longer do. I found that the split image part of it did not help me all that much. The strange thing is that the micro prism ring around the split was more useful than the split image, but did not cover a large enough area to be of great benefit. I called them and asked if they could make one without the split, just a center ring of micro prism, but she said that was not available.