Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Yes. It was wild. It does take a very high contrast situation. Using the 1.7X, of course, the amount of CA that appeared was quite high. This is not PF but the CA that appears against out of focus objects.
Interesting. I know which CA you're talking about - the longitudinal ones. I never noticed them in the viewfinder, but I used them sometimes when reviewing the images I took, to quickly discard the out of focus ones.

06-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have a KatzEye. I took it out and put the original back in.
The KatzEye functioned exactly as it was supposed to, but my eyes no longer do. I found that the split image part of it did not help me all that much. The strange thing is that the micro prism ring around the split was more useful than the split image, but did not cover a large enough area to be of great benefit. I called them and asked if they could make one without the split, just a center ring of micro prism, but she said that was not available.
I was talking with a Canon user and he mentioned a focusing screen he's got that didn't had any split prism. That's how I ended up looking at B&H and found those Pentax screens - now if I could just find someone who actually used those... I'm wondering if that KE-60 is that kind of screen. Looks like I'm not the only one.

The caveat may be that it would become harder to focus with slower lenses - an f/5.6+ tele, for example. If only these screens wouldn't be so delicate to replace.
06-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I just find split prism screens distracting.
06-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Interesting. I know which CA you're talking about - the longitudinal ones. I never noticed them in the viewfinder, but I used them sometimes when reviewing the images I took, to quickly discard the out of focus ones.
I was surprised to see that it was visible in the finder myself. I used it anyway. That bird was so small that even when it was singing it took careful looking to see it just 30 meters away.