Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens not focusing

can anyone help me i just a bought a new k100d and have taken about fifty pictures with the 18-55mm lense than i installed the wide angle lense and took more photos. now when i take the wide angle lense off the other lense will not focus. everything is blurry. i have tried everything from taking out the batteries and resetting the camera. any help would be great.
thanks

08-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #2

Can you here the focus motor working?
08-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes i can it hear it trying but everything is blurry.
i tried putting it in maual mode as well but its still blurry.
the only thing that helps is to put the wide angle lens back on
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To the left of the lens mount is the AF mode selector- if it's set to MF isntead of AF, your camera will not focus automatically. Make sure it's set to AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i have dun this , if you can hear the moter working and it working with the other lens you may not be turnning it all the way on the body i have dun 1 or 2x thake it off and reput on the lens give it a extra little at the end of the turn
08-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i checked the lense and it is on good and tight.
i also checked the af and mf button.
when in manual it is still blurry as with auto.
in manual i can take a photo (its blurry though) in auto it wont take the picture at all.
thanks again for all the previous help.
08-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

it wont take a picture in AF mode until the camera thinks it is focussed. when you put it in MF mode, i presume you are turning the focussing ring at the front of the lens to focus? I dont see any circumstances in which MF wouldn't work, unless there is a serious problem with the lens. it's really hard to help with issues like this over the internet - your best bet would be to go back to where you bought it or to your nearest camera store and ask them to have a look.
08-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apete12 Quote
i checked the lense and it is on good and tight.
i also checked the af and mf button.
when in manual it is still blurry as with auto.
in manual i can take a photo (its blurry though) in auto it wont take the picture at all.
thanks again for all the previous help.
Got to start this over....
Are the images blurry or just in the viewfinder (if this is the case you need to adjust the diopter) or when you actually take a picture? Do you get the "beep" that it is in focus??
If you are in manual focus does the thing beep anywhere in the focus range and is the image blurry, both on the picture itself and in the viewfinder??
Need to be a bit more specific on the problem. Wide angle may be hiding a diopter adjustment error (black slide thing above the eyepiece).

08-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #9

I had a DA 50-200mm lense where it's auto focus broke on me. I had to exchange it for another lense from the store. When the old lense weren't focusing the focus motor was active all the time trying to turn the focus ring on the lense, but the focus ring weren't turning. It appears as if the screw shaft that the focus motor drives the focus ring is not connecting to the lense.
08-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
just wanted to say thanks again for all the help. i called pentax and they said to just send it in. sounds like i got a bum model. i guess i will have plenty of time to read the manual a couple of times though.