Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

kx stops recording video after 30 seconds

the card is empty
but when i start recording anything it cuts off in about 30 seconds or so if that

its not over heating .. im not sure whats going on .. any advice??

also it takes like 1+ minute to save that video...
its a decent card .. scan disk ultra II 4gb version

06-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
What class is the card? (class 2, 4, 6 etc.). is it SD or SDHC?
06-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
What class is the card? (class 2, 4, 6 etc.). is it SD or SDHC?

sdhc ... i dont see the class on the card??

its this card tho SanDisk - Ultra 4GB Secure Digital High Capacity Memory Card - SDSDRH-4096-A11

ive recorded about 2 hours total on the card always in like 5-10 lots so this shutting off after a few seconds is really new
06-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

its more then likely the memory card.

06-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #5

Its a class 4, you can tell by looking at the card and seeing the number that has a 3/4 circle around it. This is a stupid question, but are you batteries full when your in video mode? Also, did you update the firmware? These two things combined cause the kx to act funny in LV and video mode and will stop if it thinks it has insufficient battery even if you just put in fresh batteries.
06-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
how do i update firmware? im at a hotel and dont have my book with me or id just look it up

im using fully charged eneloops
06-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #7

Well then. The problem may very well be because of the card, atleast thats what other's speculate about the same exact problem.

But if your using the firmware that came the camera then the camera may be the culprit. The first version firmware had a few glitches and problems and the most common was the battery indicator which could think you batteries were completely depleted even if you just put in new ones 5 mins prior.

It's a simple process that takes only 10 mins from downloading the new version to installation to your camera, but it should only be preformed with the upmost care and caution. You must make sure that you batteries have full charge before starting this because if you camera shuts off while your installing the firmwate then it could brick. The only solution for that is to send it to Pentax.

It seems mostly likely to be the SD card, but you will have to upgrade your firmware in the very near future regardless
06-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jupzchris Quote
how do i update firmware? im at a hotel and dont have my book with me or id just look it up

im using fully charged eneloops
You seem to have Internet access in that hotel.
If you can download the new firmware from one of the Pentax support sites, it is an easy to do process.
Just make sure to have full batteries as been said before.

Look at:
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX or:
Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site or:
http://www.pentax.de/de/media/3692fdecfa8a4230923a04a9da1dc7c2/kx_e101w.EXE

- Bert

06-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter

MJPEG video recording as the K-x does really requires a Class 6 card.