Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Free camera "checkup" with 2 yr warranty?

When I picked up my K20D last year, I also got a 2 year warranty.

The warranty also spoke of one free "check up" for the body during the two year period. Has anyone taken advantage of this? The Web site seems to indicate that they check to make sure all is in spec ... do they do anything like clean the sensor as well? Would they upgrade the firmware?

I've got a K7 on the way, so I'll be able to part with my K20 for a bit. I'd like to know what to expect if I take advantage of the warranty.

Thanks in advance for your experiences.

Germar

06-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who did you buy it from that it came with the free checkup?
06-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Who did you buy it from that it came with the free checkup?
I bought it from Buydig.com, but the 2 year extended warranty was from Pentax, bundled as an incentive.

From the Pentax Website:

Extended Warranty Statement
1. The extended limited warranty is registered with PENTAX Imaging Company. It is not refundable or transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new PENTAX Camera, which is covered by a PENTAX New Product One-Year Limited Warranty. <Edit...edit...edit>
3. Furthermore, PENTAX will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period. This includes inspection of all camera functions to see that they meet factory specifications.

So it sounds like they'll "check it" for correct specs, but I was hoping someone could confirm that they'll "clean, lube and adjust" to use an old term.

thanks
06-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

would make perfect sense i.m.h.o.
Cameras returned for a complete check-up are an invaluable source of information for a camera manufacturer. The best way to find out how a product behaves over time is to monitor it. So in all I think their deal is mutually benificial. Now I wish I had gotten extended warranty on mine.