Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #1

K-x compatability with Takumar-a lenses

Hi.

I recently bought a K-x and i'm still having fun exploring its capabilities.
I have a question and pehaps someone can help me.
I was looking to purchase a used takumar-f 28-80 f3.5/4.5, found one on line and met with the seller and proceeded to test it on my K-x.

The K-x recognized the lens and all of the functions worked. However the problem i ran into was that at the wide end (28mm) the K-x was able to focus at all distance, but at the tele end (80mm) it would only move the lens from the closest focus of about 1 m to to about 8m. The camera could not push/pull the lens all the way to the infinity setting!

In MF mode i was able to focus all the way, and the k-x gave the correct focus confirmation at all distances.

The Takumar is quite a bit heavier then the kit lens, and also the focusing mechanism on the Takumar is quite a bit stiffer then the kit lens.

It would seem that the focusing motor on the K-x doesn't produce enough torque to drive the Takumar all the way.

Has anyone else had this problem, with other F or FA lenses?

06-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the lens itself might be broken. The Takumar-F 28-80mm is simply a cheaper version of the SMC-F 28-80mm, and thus should still maintain full auto-aperture and auto-focus functionality on the K-x.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
The manual focusing was smooth, there was no stickiness in the movement at all. It felt much stiffer compared to the kit lens, but then again some have described the kit lens as being loose and "sloppy" when in manual mode.
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have never heard of any Pentax camera not being able to AF any lens unless the lens itself was at fault. Maybe one of the electronic connection pins is not functioning correctly (not stuck out all the way, not receiving enough electricity, loose connection, etc), unfortunately I would not know how to check to see if that is the problem or not.